Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:43 AM

725 posts, read 1,204,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Broad and Vine is not North Philly
Yea it is I don't see you as a real Philadelphian, how do you hate a part of your city so bad? I love my WHOLE city, and will never bash one section to make one look good. Save the bashing for City vs City. You'll need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,609,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
West Philly is far better than North Philly. Parts of it are very safe, beautiful and prosperous. I can't think of ANY parts of North Philly that qualify as any of those three.
Northern Liberties? Fairmount? Spring Garden? Temple area? the Oak Lanes?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
And does North Philly have a shopping area like 69th street??? NOPE lol

Does North Philly have a night life like 40th and Walnut................NOPE
Northern Liberties singlehandedly owns 40th and Walnut in nightlife LOL. Shopping? Again UCity probably has better shopping than NoLibs, but NoLibs has great shopping. 69th St is in Upper Darby. 52nd St is good for mom and pop stores but probably competes with Broad and Erie

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 04-23-2013 at 12:58 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,168,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Northern Liberties? Fairmount? Spring Garden? Temple area? the Oak Lanes?
or is North Philly where the ghetto starts going from Center City? The area near University City in West Philly is one of the most attractive urban neighborhoods I've seen. From the housing stock (more decor on the outside, bigger house sizes) it's clear it was intended as a wealthier neighborhood than even the decent sections of North Philly.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Yeah. I thought about those areas as I was posting. I guess technically they're in North Philly, but nobody really thinks of them that way. They're seen more as an extension of Center City's influence these days.
That doesn't mean they aren't North Philly. Historically it has been anything North of Vine St is considered North Philadelphia. Today, I think most people consider anything north of Spring Garden to be North Philly.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
vine st is where north philly starts. philadelphia ended at vine st. north of philadelphia were the northern liberties (free from the taxation and regulation of the city) and spring garden as well as penn township (which is what is now considered spring garden). north of that was vineyard (now known as francisville) and fairmount. these were all north of philadelphia and the origins of the area called north philadelphia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Um, yes it is.
To be fair, I think most people today consider Spring Garden to be the Northern border of Center City. That is the border I generally use. So North Philadelphia technically starts once you cross Spring Garden. Vine St is certainly historically the Northern border of Center City, but I'm willing to accept it has changed now. Just like everyone used to consider Pine St (Vine to Pine, River to River, they used to say) the southern border of Center City and that border has stretched down to South St now. Spring Garden to South, River to River, is what I always say when describing Center City. I think it makes sense. It includes the Museums on the parkway and the up and coming "Franklintown" and "Loft District" neighborhoods. Also, the neighborhoods are pretty dense until you cross Spring Garden where the density drops off to rowhomes.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
or is North Philly where the ghetto starts going from Center City? The area near University City in West Philly is one of the most attractive urban neighborhoods I've seen. From the housing stock (more decor on the outside, bigger house sizes) it's clear it was intended as a wealthier neighborhood than even the decent sections of North Philly.
Funny, because back in the day, the wealthy elite lived in North Philly, before the Main Line and similar areas like Chestnut Hill were constructed. The wealthy filtered out to areas like that and were replaced with the middle class. Post-WWII suburbanization and de-industrialization caused the Middle class to filter out and be replaced with lower class.

Ever see the mansions of North Broad? Or the Mansions on Green St in Fairmount? North Philadelphia had massive homes... also, you need to remember that the homes in West Philly were built several decades after the homes in North Philly. What was considered a large home back then is not the same standards as Americans have now.

Thinking North Philly starts where the ghettos start is a pretty damn narrow-minded way to look at it if you ask me. North Philly has seen some impressive redevelopment and gentrification as of late and I think it's unfair to say that these areas are now a neighborhood of Center City just because they are nice now. Gentrification is pushing all the way up to Temple University and beyond. When all those areas become nice are they going to be Center City too?

Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,726,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
To be fair, I think most people today consider Spring Garden to be the Northern border of Center City. That is the border I generally use. So North Philadelphia technically starts once you cross Spring Garden. Vine St is certainly historically the Northern border of Center City, but I'm willing to accept it has changed now. Just like everyone used to consider Pine St (Vine to Pine, River to River, they used to say) the southern border of Center City and that border has stretched down to South St now. Spring Garden to South, River to River, is what I always say when describing Center City. I think it makes sense. It includes the Museums on the parkway and the up and coming "Franklintown" and "Loft District" neighborhoods. Also, the neighborhoods are pretty dense until you cross Spring Garden where the density drops off to rowhomes.
it technically starts at vine st though one could be forgiven for referencing north of spring garden street. south st has always been the southern border, it never changed. center city is simply a planning name for old philadelphia that caught on. actually, the rowhome neighborhoods are more dense than fanklintown and the loft district (though new construction may finally change that). anyway, the point was that there are nice parts of north philly.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:16 PM

184 posts, read 368,396 times
20 years ago, people told me Girard Av was a dividing line. I believe the City Paper compared it to the Mason Dixon line dividing black and white within north Philly.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:21 PM

2,471 posts, read 3,998,261 times
Quote:
And does North Philly have a shopping area like 69th street??? NOPE lol
Neither does west philly genius. 69th street is Upper Darby not West Philly. You would think that someone who dubs himself westphillydude would know where west philly is.

West Philly is clearly in much better shape overall at this point in time than North Philly. This much is obvious at least to me. But to deny the positives of North Philly is foolish. Anything North of Vine and East of the Schuylkill is North Philly, if you don't think there are a million and one awesome places and things to do in North Philly you're not very knowledgeable about philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia