Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:47 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times

Advertisements

Are you willing to drive to Center City or surrounding area? The best restaurants will be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 04:17 PM

87 posts, read 229,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I can't say as I'd pick chickie and pete's for dinner. maybe to catch a game or something. you could take them to pat's and geno's, a tourist must do. lunch at the reading terminal. there is a bar in the terminal that has pretty good food and beer. if you want free parking, some place like the standard tap might be a good place, or the schmiddter at H&J mcnally's in chestnut hill (which might be close to you).
I think your out-of-town guests might have a better experience at a place known for good food than a place where the main draw is that people think it's unique to Philadelphia.

Last edited by The Ancient Oracle; 04-23-2013 at 04:27 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 04:41 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
If you're thinking South Philly skip Chickie and Pete's and go to Passyunk Ave. I was recently at a great Italian place called Mamma Maria's but there are other great spots too. Cantina, Stateside, Marras. It was also recently named a Top 10 Foodie street in the country. Maybe go out for a few drinks at The Pub on Passyunk East and do the Pat's/Geno's thing.

Food And Wine Magazine Awards East Passyunk Avenue A Spot On Its List Of 10 Best Foodie Streets In America | Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More

East Passyunk Restaurants - Philadelphia | Zagat

Old 04-23-2013, 04:48 PM

I agree. Take them into Center City to Rittenhouse Square or Washington Square West or Old City or to South Philly to Passyunk Ave or to University City for a memorable experience, NOT Chickie's and Pete's

Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 PM

13 posts, read 20,803 times
Thanks to anyone with a helpful response! I appreciate it

Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM

If you go to Old City for dinner make sure to get desert at Franklin Fountain. They have superb ice cream. Or if you go to Rittenhouse Square for dinner, you can stop at Rita's Water Ice at 15th and Spruce after.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 PM

9 posts, read 10,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrick510 View Post
I've only lived in the area for about a month (I'm actually in Montgomery county), but I will be picking up my dad and brother from the Philadelphia airport in a few weeks and want to take them to a fun, Philly-type restaurant afterwards. So something somewhat nearby the airport (20 minutes-ish?). I've heard Chickie & Pete's is pretty cool, but I wanted input from people who know a lot more about the city than I do. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
-Marra's if you guys are in the mood for Italian (South Philly)
1734 E Passyunk Ave Philadelphia, PA 19148

-Chickies and Pete's is great and even better if you go to a Phillies game before or after.
(If the Phillies are in town)

-Devon Seafood Grill
225 S 18th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Rittenhouse)

-Most places in Chinatown

All depends.... Type of food, type of dining (lg/sm restaurant, quick meal, pub like setting, touristy type place, fancy, laid back...??), money you'd want to spend, what time of the day/week....
haha you get my point
Hopefully, I'll be able to help you out with more options.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 PM

9 posts, read 10,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I agree. Take them into Center City to Rittenhouse Square or Washington Square West or Old City or to South Philly to Passyunk Ave or to University City for a memorable experience, NOT Chickie's and Pete's

I know we locals take Chickie and Pete's for granted but every person I have taken there from out of town absolutely loved it. But it's usually when a sport event is on.
I will say, the only other sites surrounding Chickie's location (Broad Street location) is the stadiums. I did factor that in when thinking of a place for out-of-towners that rarely, if ever, come to Philly.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:31 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,586 times
Era on Poplar Street in the Fairmount section is a great little Ethiopian place. They have some good local beers too.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 PM

134 posts, read 475,181 times
Here is a solid list to start with depending on what you are looking for:

Frankford Hall - German style beer garden opened about a year ago by Steven Starr who has opened several popular restaurants in the Philly area. They are known for their giant mugs of good beer, a combination of german beers with some domestics and craft beers. Great food as well, very casual where you go up to a window and order your food and they give you a number and a waiter comes over and give you your food. This is a place i'd take my dad and my brother if they came and visited me here.

Monk's - Got rated as one of the best beer drinking experiences in the country. It is a belgian style beer cafe that has pretty awesome food...it isn't like a "Philly thing" specifically but it is pretty awesome.

Khyber - Good food, good beer, in old city, lots to do and see if you want to show off the most historically relevant part of Philly.

Bomb-Bomb Grill - Good food where the crowd is very South Philly, combination of bbq and italian.

Pub on Passyunk - I live pretty close to here and it has never disappointed me, very casual with rotating taps but all the good domestics...gotta get your dad and brother to try a lager or two if they haven't had it yet. Good burgers, and its also like 3-4 block walk to Pats and Genos. Lots of other restaurants are on Passyunk as well.

Cheesesteaks: Seperate category

My Personal Favorites
- Phillips 24th and Passyunk (24 hrs)
- Johns Roast Pork (only open between 6-3 on weekdays, 10-4 on saturdays)
- Steves (several locations but the original is in NE Philly in Mayfair)

Tourist Spots
- Jims
- Pats
- Genos
- Tony Lukes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia