Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,021 times

Advertisements

Hi , im moving to Philadelphia from Puerto Rico, in june. Ive been to Philly once before to visit family. I understand Philly has a huge Puerto Rican community, though Ive been told many of the neighborhoods they live in are slums. I would like to live in a safe and decent Middle class neighborhood but with a large Hispanic presence. Can anyone help me find a Middle class neighborhood with atleast a somewhat significant amount of Hispanics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 04:42 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Two I can think of would be the Aramingo Ave area, which I guess would be parts of Fishtown and Kensington. The second being Castor Ave south of Cottman Ave that has a fairly large Brazilian population. I mean these are not great areas, but better then the hood.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:56 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
FYI - "hispanic" is used in the US to mean "person of spanish speaking origin" and is pretty much just a shortened form of "hispanophone" just like anglophone or francophone. Brazilians are lusophones. The speak Portuguese - so they're not hispanic.

Anyway - Philadelphia isn't really known for it's middle-class neighborhoods.

You're likely to find some working class to middle class Puerto Ricans between 5th St. & Frankford Ave north of Spring Garden up to about Berks St. but the closer to 5th & Berks you get the sketchier. 2nd & Fairmount is a nice neighborhood. I would not recommend setting up camp at 5th & Berks.

There's also a vestigial PR community on the border of Francisville and Fairmount from way back when Puerto Ricans first started coming to Philly.

There are a lot of Mexicans centered on 9th St. in South Philly. The Mexicans aren't necessarily middle class having only been in South Philly in big numbers for about 10 years but it's a diverse neighborhood (white/asian/latino) that's mostly middle class.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 AM

6 posts, read 21,520 times
Most middle class hispanics live in Upper North Philly, Lower Northeast Philly, and parts of Northwest Philly. Juniata, Feltonville, Olney, Lawncrest, Oxford Circle are some areas to name a few. Though Juniata is the only middle class area with a hispanic majority. Also Northern Liberties in Lower North Philly has a Hispanic presence. Montgomery county has alot of middle class Hispanics as well.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Try the area around Northern Liberties/Fishtown. South Philadelphia around 9th street. Parts of Northeast Philadelphia.

You could try a really diverse area like Mt. Airy or University City, which are very nice areas and will have hispanics, just not a large concentration, the neighborhoods are very very diverse.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:44 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times
This is not a historic Puerto Rican neighborhood (nor is it presently "characteristically" Puerto Rican) but parts of the Far Northeast, particularly Bustleton/Somerton, are starting to attract a number of Puerto Rican families.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:17 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR_2_Philly View Post
Hi , im moving to Philadelphia from Puerto Rico, in june. Ive been to Philly once before to visit family. I understand Philly has a huge Puerto Rican community, though Ive been told many of the neighborhoods they live in are slums. I would like to live in a safe and decent Middle class neighborhood but with a large Hispanic presence. Can anyone help me find a Middle class neighborhood with atleast a somewhat significant amount of Hispanics?
still a good amount of puerto ricans in spring garden which is a neighborhood close to downtown and is generally pretty nice. otherwise, I'd say parts of the northeast. puerto ricans also live all over the place now, when places like fairhill were in their prime there were large populations of puerto ricans right from the island, over the years middle class puerto ricans moved out and in my experience are all over rather than clustered

Old 05-09-2015, 09:44 PM

218 posts, read 342,230 times
Neighborhoods like northern Liberties, Fishtown, and Port richmond in the southeastern fringes of North Philly, has some middle class Puerto Ricans.

Some areas north of Erie Ave, in the Uptown & northeast areas of Philadelphia have sizable numbers of middle class Puerto Ricans and other Hispanics. From the predominately middle class Puerto Rican/Hispanic area of Juniata to the predominately middle class black area of Oak Lane which harbors notable number of Hispanics as well. Other areas include Olney, Oxford circle, Lawncrest, and Germantown.

Also, there are small middle class Puerto Rican/Hispanic communities in some Philly inner ring suburbs in Montgomery county and southern Delaware county.

Usually middle class Hispanics in the Philadelphia area are mixed in with middle class blacks and whites, moreso with blacks tho.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:24 AM

640 posts, read 1,295,044 times
Not much middle class of any race left in the city.........

Look at montgomery county areas like plymouth meeting which is close to norristown which has decent hispanic community might be what you are looking for. Most of the city middle class areas are close to city line ave or far northeast.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:21 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
FYI - "hispanic" is used in the US to mean "person of spanish speaking origin" and is pretty much just a shortened form of "hispanophone" just like anglophone or francophone. Brazilians are lusophones. The speak Portuguese - so they're not hispanic.

Anyway - Philadelphia isn't really known for it's middle-class neighborhoods.

You're likely to find some working class to middle class Puerto Ricans between 5th St. & Frankford Ave north of Spring Garden up to about Berks St. but the closer to 5th & Berks you get the sketchier. 2nd & Fairmount is a nice neighborhood. I would not recommend setting up camp at 5th & Berks.

There's also a vestigial PR community on the border of Francisville and Fairmount from way back when Puerto Ricans first started coming to Philly.

There are a lot of Mexicans centered on 9th St. in South Philly. The Mexicans aren't necessarily middle class having only been in South Philly in big numbers for about 10 years but it's a diverse neighborhood (white/asian/latino) that's mostly middle class.
The PR presence in Spring Garden and Francisville is way less than vestigial now. Gentrification has "pushed" them out. There are still a few living on Wallace and Mt Vernon Sts. around near 17th. There's still a Hispanic church on 15th near Wallace. But the, historic, Spanish church that was in the 1800 block of Spring Garden was closed. What's going in that space? A redo for, you've guessed it, more upscale housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia