U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 PM

701 posts, read 1,484,399 times

Advertisements

Please, I'm begging you - recommend a decent pizza place around here. I'm dying. I've had about five different mediocre to inedible pizzas since I moved here, each at a different place.

I'm looking for a decent thin crust (I don't like doughy pizza). Pick up or delivery, whatever. I tried the following:
1. Marsala - too doughy
2. Venice - I had to throw it away, it was that bad (undercooked)
3. Tower pizza - okay for what I suppose is a Greek style. Went back, tried a spaghetti instead. Meatballs were awful.
4. Pat's - meh, too doughy (thought I ordered thin crust, but got a normal crust instead)
5. Double Decker - I haven't tried yet since I don't want a gimmick, I just want a pizza

It's the damn Philly area, I ought to be able to get a decent pizza. I had a go-to in Bryn Mawr, surely there's someone here who knows a good place here around RP.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 PM

364 posts, read 643,409 times
I'm from Folsom and love pizza so I got ya covered. Double Decker is definitely no gimmick; it's among the oldest pizza parlors in Delco, and definitely the most revered. However their pizza is decidedly Greek and very doughy.

You will probably like Appetito's (MacDade and 420). Very thin crust but it's a little greasy. I haven't had it in years so maybe it's better now. But I think you will like Imperial Pizza (across from Secane Station) the most. Thin, crispy, and good. The catch is it has cornmeal on the bottom (affectionately described as "sand"). Note they sell pizza and nothing but pizza, and only take cash.

Cocco's pizza is thin but not particularly good. Rather tasteless, because they use the cheapest ingredients available from Pathmark. I used to work at that Pathmark in Ridley and always had Cocco's employees buying 99c cans of store-brand tomato sauce and fake cheese.

Swarthmore Pizza, Milmont Pizza, Renato, etc all fall in the middle of the spectrum.

Most other places up and down MacDade (especially up by Collingdale) are just poor rehashes of the Greek or boardwalk styles, but no one does either as well as Double Decker or Imperial, respectively.

I find that decent pizza is not that hard to get in Delco. I mean, 610 is Delaware Valley's unabashed king of junk food, as reaffirmed by the brand-new Sonic. I moved to West Chester and it's been impossible to find an edible cheesesteak.

Last edited by mcguirk; 05-08-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 06:46 PM

701 posts, read 1,484,399 times
Thanks, I'll try Imperial. I don't mind cornmeal on the crust at all.

Funny story about Cocco's: I was debating trying that next!

I did get a cheesesteak from Double Decker that was decent. Too bad I don't like doughy pizza or I'd try theirs.

Last edited by campion; 05-08-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia