Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 PM

42 posts, read 117,714 times

Advertisements

I've heard bad things about the bus and train going to and from, that it takes a long time and it's dirty? I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on it currently as I think it was old information.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Drive. No other way IMHO

Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 PM

802 posts, read 1,321,492 times
Megabus

Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
I've never had any problems with megabus. However Pittsburgh to Philadelphia is a long trip, so plan on getting uncomfortable.

Amtrak is clean and pleasant and incredibly comfortable. Service is pretty on the Harrisburg to Pittsburgh leg of the trip though. If the times work out, it's the way I'd go.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:30 PM

225 posts, read 395,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorelumiere View Post
I've heard bad things about the bus and train going to and from, that it takes a long time and it's dirty? I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on it currently as I think it was old information.

Thanks!
I have taken the train several times. The trip is a little over 7 hours. Traveling business class it was clean and very comfortable. I actually enjoyed it better than going by car. If you as taking the train on a long trip pay the extra and go business class it is worth it.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 PM

187 posts, read 350,376 times
If you can afford it, flying has to be the best way, right?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:05 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scosm View Post
If you can afford it, flying has to be the best way, right?
It's a quick flight, but the airport is so far outside the city (a good half hour West) and now has, AFAIK, very limited bus service. Factor in all the time/hassle/cab fees, etc. and it just isn't worth it IMO.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:59 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,000 times
I go from Detroit to Philadelphia and back by Megabus all the time... now THAT is a long trip. Philadelphia to Pittsburgh is not... especially with the free wi-fi! I've never had a problem whatsoever.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I go from Detroit to Philadelphia and back by Megabus all the time... now THAT is a long trip. Philadelphia to Pittsburgh is not... especially with the free wi-fi! I've never had a problem whatsoever.
I've never had a problem either. I visit Pittsburgh several times a year via Megabus. I don't really consider it a long trip. It's takes 6 hours but I always bring my tablet and a few books. I've never been bored. I also like the fact that unlike Greyhound, Megabus only makes two stops. One is in Harrisburg and the other is a break stop for passengers to get something to eat.

Plus you just can't beat those fares (if you book early enough that is). I think the most I've paid travelling between the two cities is $30 and that was because I made reservations the day before I departed Pittsburgh.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:58 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattusbabe View Post
I have taken the train several times. The trip is a little over 7 hours. Traveling business class it was clean and very comfortable. I actually enjoyed it better than going by car. If you as taking the train on a long trip pay the extra and go business class it is worth it.
actually since they use long distance coaches for two of the cars there's little difference between business class and coach class. I enjoy the train as well. the problem is its slow and infrequent but when the schedule works for me I use it.
both megabus and greyhound express are fine, greyhound express makes no revenue stops and isn't much longer than driving. I don't know that I'd classify any of the modes as dirty. what is best? depends on what you want, price, speed, comfort. I can read while in a bus, some people get sick reading. makes a big difference, if I got sick, having someone else drive might be less attractive though lots of people just surf the internet or watch a movie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia