Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 10:13 AM

19 posts, read 22,416 times

Advertisements

As forewarning, some of the following overlaps with a previous post.

I am moving from the NJ suburbs into Philly on 9/1. I would like to be within a 30-35 min. commute (foot/bike/SEPTA ok) into University City. My highest priority –- by far –- is to locate an apartment where I will be able to sleep reasonably. Two challenges to that: I have a lot of trouble sleeping through noise (unless I can block it with earplugs or a fan), and I often must sleep according to a late-shifted schedule (so, late to bed, mid-morning rise). Both noises originating from within and outside of a building can be problematic.

I am really struggling to figure out where I can find a reliably quiet place to live. I would be *very* grateful for any ideas that you all can provide.

Below, I also answer some of the suggested questions, if that information is helpful. But the noise issue is most important.

When are you moving?

9/1/13

Where are you coming from?

South Jersey

Will you buy or rent?

rent

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?

I’m flexible, but probably an apartment, and I’m fine with living in very small spaces (it will just be me). I’d like to stay under $1300 or so, but I would go a little higher if I were *very* confident that the place would be sufficiently quiet.

Are you keeping a car?

Yes, and I will need somewhere to park it. I’m OK with getting a street permit, or I could maybe pay the fee for a garage spot, depending on the rate.

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?

Calm and quiet (obviously)

One more consideration: If possible, I'd like to minimize the extent of any pest-related problems (bugs/rodents/etc) that I will need to address. I've had some very bad experieces with infestations in past apartments, and would rather not encounter that again. That said, I see how some of this may be an unavoidable reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 02:09 PM

9,322 posts, read 12,946,711 times
Being in a high-rise will solve most of your noise problems. But you won't be able to get a ton in your price range in a tall building (studio at best probably).

Otherwise, I'd recommend Fitler Square--relatively quiet enclave between Rittenhouse and Grad Hospital.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:12 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,510,226 times
I'm here to second HeavenWood in saying that a high-rise would suit your needs, but unless you're willing to settle for a studio then it isn't going to happen. You said you were fine with living in small spaces, and there are plenty of places out there for under 1300 that are studio high-rises that are nice and quiet and a very, very decent size. I happen to live in one and if you would like the details, feel free to PM me.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:04 PM

Thanks very much to both of you for the input. I have lived and continue to be willing to live in studios, even very small ones.

I currently live in a large high rise in NJ, and the main problem is that, with the fortunate exception of the summertime, most of the year there is regular renovation work going on in the vacant units, and that is loud and often starts early in the morning. This was the topic that I brought up in an earlier post, and it was suggested that in the future I would do well to specifically aim for relatively new construction (current building isn't ancient, but probably dates back to the 60's or so).

Thanks for the Filter Square suggestion. I got the impression that Graduate Hospital might be quiet in some areas as well, but I wasn't sure. I also was thinking maybe it could be worth looking into West Philly or Queen Village, but again, I haven't really spent enough time in either area (and particularly during times other than, say, midday) to know.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:46 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,823,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Being in a high-rise will solve most of your noise problems. But you won't be able to get a ton in your price range in a tall building (studio at best probably).

Otherwise, I'd recommend Fitler Square--relatively quiet enclave between Rittenhouse and Grad Hospital.

Thats what would go for too. Think high rise. The reno work may happen anywhere you may live, its something you can't control

Old 06-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the tip, frankgn87. It seems like the votes are stacking up in favor of the high-rise route.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:21 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,510,226 times
There are plenty of other routes to go for quiet neighborhoods, but those may cost a pretty penny. I've only really investigated high-rises for the reasons I spoke of in my PM, but I'm soon going to be looking into some of the apartments in the Fitler and Washington Square West area. If I find out more, I will let you know about those prospects.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:17 PM

I'm always happy to get more input. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2013, 10:45 AM

154 posts, read 321,767 times
look for listings that allow dogs. most places will tell you they don't allow dogs because of potential damage to the units. but almost always the real reason is sound penetration. most of the apartment buildings in the city have been converted from larger spaces, warehouses, large open plans, etc. the partitions built to create the units should be insulated, but are often not. can't always tell this by walking through the units. so typically if they allow dogs, then there is a good chance the individual units are quieter.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 PM

Padugan -- Interesting strategy, I certainly had never thought about that before. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: