Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,952 times

Advertisements

This summer I am taking an evening class from 5:30-8 at Villanova. I live in SJ and I have to commute over from my job leaving at 4. Due to traffic and my desire to maintain my sanity over the summer, I've decided not to try and brace the evening rush hour traffic. When I lived Villanova the past year, I only took the regional rail into the city, not the norristown high speed line to the market line. Last week I took the regional rail to my class but due to train delays I was barely able to make my class and had to take a cab from bryn mawr since the trains were all so delayed I had to take one that didn't stop in zone 3. I am considering taking the market street line to norristown speed line on the way there and taking regional rail back at night. However, I have never taken that route before and have been told by locals to avoid traveling through west philly. Personally, I can see it being no worse than traveling through Camden during the daytime. But now looking at it, I can see it being kinda sketchy since it seems commuters in the area only commute via regional rail and thus the subway cars will be empty. Am I right to think taking market through west philly is safe, or should I stick to regional rail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 06:48 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez8 View Post
This summer I am taking an evening class from 5:30-8 at Villanova. I live in SJ and I have to commute over from my job leaving at 4. Due to traffic and my desire to maintain my sanity over the summer, I've decided not to try and brace the evening rush hour traffic. When I lived Villanova the past year, I only took the regional rail into the city, not the norristown high speed line to the market line. Last week I took the regional rail to my class but due to train delays I was barely able to make my class and had to take a cab from bryn mawr since the trains were all so delayed I had to take one that didn't stop in zone 3. I am considering taking the market street line to norristown speed line on the way there and taking regional rail back at night. However, I have never taken that route before and have been told by locals to avoid traveling through west philly. Personally, I can see it being no worse than traveling through Camden during the daytime. But now looking at it, I can see it being kinda sketchy since it seems commuters in the area only commute via regional rail and thus the subway cars will be empty. Am I right to think taking market through west philly is safe, or should I stick to regional rail?
Which locals were you talking to? Do live in the suburbs or the city?

I might stay aware of my surroundings a bit more than the daytime, but the El should be fine at that time relatively early in the evening.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:00 AM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times
You'll be fine on Market Frankford during the day. Hell, plenty of my fellow pampered Penn Law Students will take the train back from Millbourne just before midnight (and in quite the innebriated post-bowling league state at that).

The only reason I'd advise against taking Market Frankford to the High Speed Line is that you'll be in for a very long trip--and won't get much of a cost savings at that.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:43 AM

4,511 posts, read 4,043,147 times
I've taken the MFL to 69th and back many times, normally after 10pm. There was never a problem. I don't think taking the MFL through west philly is quite the same as "traveling through west philly" as far as safety is concerned.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:08 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,680 times
I take the MFL to 69th all the time. Really no big deal whatsoever.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:13 PM

156 posts, read 447,406 times
The MFL isn't very nice. During peak hours, it's insanely crowded, it can be pretty dirty and there are all sorts of fairly frequent, but short, delays. That being said, the only time I felt uncomfortable on it is when I was taking it back from the bars at around 11:30 PM. (Now I just cough up the extra $12 for a cab.)

It sounds like you'll be taking it at non-peak times. Even if you're getting on at four, it sounds like (sorry, I don't know what SJ stands for) you'll be going into the city. At four, the rush is coming from Center City to West Philly, and it doesn't get really crowded until closer to 5. At 8:30 it'll be pretty empty anywhere you're going.

Just be sure that you don't sit on some of the weird stuff on the seats...

Old 06-04-2013, 07:14 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,680 times
Insanely crowded? Have you been to other cities?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 PM

156 posts, read 447,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Yes.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:24 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,043,147 times
Live footage of the MFL during rush hour -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjJ3g_wv8H0

Old 06-04-2013, 08:25 PM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Market Frankford can get pretty nuts during peak commute times, though nothing like the Japanese subway video Mike linked. Besides rush hour, other than game days, it's perfectly fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia