Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 40,404 times

Advertisements

Hi, all:

I've heard very mixed reviews about Drexel Hill and Lansdowne in terms of crime/safety. There have been discussions on this site before, but most of them are a few years old.

We're looking to buy our first house, and we want to stay there a while. We both work in Center City. Safety is important; I want to be able to walk my dogs in the neighborhood (we also want a yard for the dogs). School districts don't matter to us (no kids).

I understand there are some areas near or in Drexel Hill and Lansdowne that should be avoided from a crime standpoint, but can anyone give me a clear idea of what (if any) areas of Lansdowne and Drexel Hill are still safe? Areas that seem likely to stay safe for the long term?

Please help! We need to stay under $280K at the absolute most, and we want to be able to walk to public transit. We like South Jersey, but can't find many decent options within our price range (and with a nice yard, etc.). We really love the houses in Drexel Hill and Lansdowne, but I don't want to be concerned about crime.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,674 times
The Aronimink area of Drexel Hill is really beautiful. I love the style of homes there. And the folks that live there really maintain their homes and yards. The only kickers with Drexel Hill are 1) schools (specifically the high school isn't great) and 2) the taxes. But, to some extent the taxes are offset by lower home prices. I'm not sure about public transit options from this part of Drexel Hill.

I've read that Lansdowne has been experiencing a bit of a revitalization. But do not have much insight into safety and the best sections within town.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:38 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Aronimink is right on the 101 Media trolley line which you can take the 69th Street terminal then transfer to the Market-Frankford El which will take you into Center City city. I'd guesstimate a 40-minute trip, depending on your destination and accounting for transfer times.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 AM

301 posts, read 921,638 times
I live on the border of Lansdowne and Drexel Hill right on Owen Ave & Marshall Rd.

I've been here since 2007 and I felt like you at first. Upon moving in, I had Vector Security put in a security system.

However, I have been very surprised at how safe it has been. There haven't been any incident that I know of since I have moved in. I read in the paper that there was a shooting of an African business owner a few years ago near Owen and Baltimore (six/seven blocks away?) as he was walking home, but people felt he had borrowed money from loan sharks and never paid it back

I walk my tiny Shih-Tzu dog at all hours of the night...I used to carry a big knife with me (growing up in south philly conditioned me to be paranoid) but stopped feeling the need to carry one. And I'm a short chubby Asian dude begging to be bullied too!! LOL. There's a dive bar, Tippy McStagger's, on Marshall Rd and a late 90's Northern Liberties-type bar/restaurant called 2312 Garrett on Garrett but it hasn't negatively affected the area. In fact, 2312 Garrett seems to be the place to be on the weekends at the moment...when I walk my dog past that place at like 1AM, that place always looks packed.

I didn't regret moving in this neighborhood at all and I don't think you will either

Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 PM

28 posts, read 85,576 times
As the above poster stated, the Aronomink area of Drexel Hill is really beautiful. Not sure what streets you're looking at, but the nicest streets I remember were probably Wilde Ave through Mason Ave [and everything in between State Road and Township Line] No crime, gorgeous houses, friendly neighbors. Looks more like Havertown than Drexel Hill IMO.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:00 PM

10 posts, read 29,761 times
I just moved to Drexel Hill with my family in April, and have been really pleased overall. And we don't live in the nicest part either (down near the Lindburgh Bridge). Commute to Upenn is about 40 minutes (trolley to 69th street, blue line into the city), so center city wouldn't be much more. The northern parts of DH are very nice (Aronomink especially)' we have seen some nice houses up there in the $250-300k range. We are considering buying here but probably won't because of the schools. But if that is not a concern I would say definitely go for Drexel Hill.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 PM

Thanks, all, for your feedback on Drexel Hill. Does anyone have any thoughts on Lansdowne?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 PM

Also, is the area around Arlington Cemetery in Drexel Hill safe? I've seen several houses south and west of the cemetery that I like, particularly a house that's just below State and three blocks west of the cemetery. Anyone have an idea if that area seems safe?

Old 06-19-2013, 06:08 AM

301 posts, read 921,638 times
again I've lived here since 2007.

You know what Lansdowne reminds me of? the East Oak Lane of the 80's and early 90's. working middle class and very diverse though mostly Caucasian. East Oak Lane has really turned into another part of North Philly...but the residents here are trying to revive the area the way South Philly (most notably Passyunk Ave) has been revived by restoring the Lansdowne Theater and with Northern Liberties-type businesses like the Regency Cafe and the sorta high-end Sycamore restaurant

Old 09-18-2013, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 14,394 times
We are considering to purchase a home in Drexel Hill, PA. As stated in other post, the taxes are high, the housing prices reasonable. Can anyone tell me the current trend for the area? My crystal ball is in storage, so I am seeking insight from someone with "current" knowledge of the area. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia