U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2013, 05:57 AM
 
364 posts, read 643,760 times
Reputation: 307

Advertisements

No they are separate, but both feed into the Ridley SD. I grew up in Folsom. Nothing in the immediate area is seedy, but the overall character is very downmarket. Folsom, Secane, Morton and Ridley Park won't be going anywhere anytime soon because the middle class is still strong, but the buffers between good and bad will decrease. Holmes, Woodlyn, Folcroft, Primos, and Sharon Hill are getting worse, not better.

MacDade past 420 is a total mess, as is Chester pike outside of Taylor's sphere of influence. I find the youth to be disrespectful and quality of life problems like aggravated driving and noise is increasing. You can sort of carve out an existence that largely ignores most of the trashy main roads and use Morton Ave as a conduit to nicer areas for shopping, but that's not a way to live.

275k is a lot to spend on a brick Cape Cod in Folsom. Unfortunately I don't think that will get you a tidy Victorian in Ridley Park either. IMO I would not buy in Ridley Park unless I were getting a Victorian, and you'd be looking at a fixer-upper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 PM
 
354 posts, read 1,004,513 times
Reputation: 282
I live in Ridley (close to the lake) and I think it's a great place. For 275000 you should be able to get a good bang for your buck in this area. Ridley's schools are not "great" like Garnet Valley, Walllingford-Swarthmore or ROse Tree Media, but they are good enough to get a quality education for your kids, primarily because the school takes a lot of pride in success throughout. I would consider it close in comparison to Springfield. Both areas have great people and of course you will have some not so great. It's in every town, trust me. The difference is Springfield is over-priced for the return you get. Also, if you or your kids are into sports, Ridley has a great culture for sports, especially football, lacrosse, swimming and a few others.

My advice would be look into Garnet Valley, Wallingford Swarthmore or Rose Tree Media. If you can't get her to go for them, then go for Ridley. Just stay away from Eddystone and Woodlyn. Go for the areas around the lake and the area around Park Street. I think those areas are the best of Ridley.

If you have other questions pose them and I'll help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 10:52 AM
 
3 posts, read 9,687 times
Reputation: 10
Default Folsum is in Ridley Twp

Folsom sits in Ridley Township and pays Ridley Twp taxes. I even think Folsom uses a Ridley Park Post Office (hopefully someone in Folsom can clarify). Ridley Township has no post office zip code so large portions of Ridley Township use the Ridley Park Post Office zip on their address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophils09 View Post
Thank you for your insight pp! I think I had it a bit mixed up. So folsom and ridley park are not the same?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 03:51 PM
 
364 posts, read 643,760 times
Reputation: 307
I don't think you are correct about that. Perhaps the areas below MacDade which border Ridley Park. But Folsom has its own zip (19033) and post office, next to Wawa near MacDade and Swarthmore Aves. The other parts of the township (Milmont, Morton, some of Secane, Holmes, etc) also have different zips.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 11:06 AM
 
6 posts, read 8,135 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gophils09 View Post
I didn't mean to say I thought Havertown was the golden standard, I just feel like Ridley is "below" Havertown and surrounding areas (Drexel Hill, Upper Springfield, etc). I'm at a point in my life where I want my real estate investment to be a move up rather than a move down. Our budget is $275,000. Thanks for your response!
I have read all the posts and think that "we all have are lines" is so appropriate. I live and work in Swarthmore in a small office. One of my colleagues is a born and raised Ridley boy. He now resides in Wallingford but definitely proudly retains his roots and networks from that area. There is plenty of playful banter on those from Swarthmore vs. those from other areas (ex. Ridley). The "lines" may be obvious but I don't think that people are so small minded that they are saying "oh that person is from such and such" and I won't associate with them. I think your husband and you can "easily " compromise - live where it feels right and his Folsom roots and networks will survive just fine. Wallingford/Rutledge/lower Springfield/ can get you better schools, architectural interest, and more varied citizens - still close to folsom - 275k will be a good investment in these areas
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 01:31 PM
 
4 posts, read 10,453 times
Reputation: 10
Wink Ridley park

My wife and I lived in havertown for two years before buying in ridley park. We liked havertown overall but moved because our neighbors had loud parties that lasted all night every weekend and weren't considerate. We moved to ridley park borough, right near abc field. We love it here and our kids love it as well. There is so much for kids to do in this town. There is a Victorian fair, a carnival, parades, Easter egg hunt, Halloween festivities, Santa on the train, fall festival, fireworks, etc. It is a nice quiet friendly town. I also want to mention that havertown borders some questionable areas as well such as Darby and upper Darby. I have never felt unsafe in havertown or ridley park. Both have very low crime. The biggest difference for me is ridley park is a small town with a greater sence of community. Havertown is very crowded and busy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 07:27 AM
 
177 posts, read 316,651 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters1 View Post
My wife and I lived in havertown for two years before buying in ridley park. We liked havertown overall but moved because our neighbors had loud parties that lasted all night every weekend and weren't considerate. We moved to ridley park borough, right near abc field. We love it here and our kids love it as well. There is so much for kids to do in this town. There is a Victorian fair, a carnival, parades, Easter egg hunt, Halloween festivities, Santa on the train, fall festival, fireworks, etc. It is a nice quiet friendly town. I also want to mention that havertown borders some questionable areas as well such as Darby and upper Darby. I have never felt unsafe in havertown or ridley park. Both have very low crime. The biggest difference for me is ridley park is a small town with a greater sence of community. Havertown is very crowded and busy.
Havertown is absolutely nowhere near Darby, and the only part of Upper Darby proper it borders is around Llanerch. You're actually closer to Darby now than you were when you lived in Havertown. Just drive up MacDade sometime.

You picked a good place to live in Ridley Park, and it's got a community, borough feel because it was built as a community by a railroad company to rival Bryn Mawr. Havertown, on the other hand, is just a bunch of very little communities made into one CDP. What part of Havertown did you live in, exactly?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 07:43 AM
 
177 posts, read 316,651 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
I don't think you are correct about that. Perhaps the areas below MacDade which border Ridley Park. But Folsom has its own zip (19033) and post office, next to Wawa near MacDade and Swarthmore Aves. The other parts of the township (Milmont, Morton, some of Secane, Holmes, etc) also have different zips.
Morton is a part of Springfield, and Secane is a part of Upper Darby. They are CDPs within those two larger townships. Primos and Secane definitely "feel" like Ridley to me though, for sure. I've never associated either with 19018, despite their zip codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm328 View Post
I have read all the posts and think that "we all have are lines" is so appropriate. I live and work in Swarthmore in a small office. One of my colleagues is a born and raised Ridley boy. He now resides in Wallingford but definitely proudly retains his roots and networks from that area. There is plenty of playful banter on those from Swarthmore vs. those from other areas (ex. Ridley). The "lines" may be obvious but I don't think that people are so small minded that they are saying "oh that person is from such and such" and I won't associate with them. I think your husband and you can "easily " compromise - live where it feels right and his Folsom roots and networks will survive just fine. Wallingford/Rutledge/lower Springfield/ can get you better schools, architectural interest, and more varied citizens - still close to folsom - 275k will be a good investment in these areas
Honestly, I wouldn't be so up on Springfield. I will get more into this in another post but let me just say that I've spent my whole life in areas that border Springfield and it's nowhere near being on the level of Wallingford or Rutledge. There's parts with older, varied architecture but the vast majority of it is post-war suburbia, and the school district has benefited from simply (barely) having more money than Ridley, which itself has benefited from (barely) having more money than Upper Darby's school district, which itself has benefited from (barely) having more money than William Penn's school district. Are you seeing the pattern here?

I would definitely buy in Wallingford or Rutledge though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 01:50 PM
 
364 posts, read 643,760 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
Morton is a part of Springfield, and Secane is a part of Upper Darby. They are CDPs within those two larger townships. Primos and Secane definitely "feel" like Ridley to me though, for sure. I've never associated either with 19018, despite their zip codes.

Honestly, I wouldn't be so up on Springfield. I will get more into this in another post but let me just say that I've spent my whole life in areas that border Springfield and it's nowhere near being on the level of Wallingford or Rutledge. There's parts with older, varied architecture but the vast majority of it is post-war suburbia, and the school district has benefited from simply (barely) having more money than Ridley, which itself has benefited from (barely) having more money than Upper Darby's school district, which itself has benefited from (barely) having more money than William Penn's school district. Are you seeing the pattern here?

I would definitely buy in Wallingford or Rutledge though.
The area is entirely funky. I had friends who are definitely in 19070 attend Ridley School District, as well as folks as far as Secane and down by the MacDade Mall lot. I also had a buddy who lived squarely within Rutledge go to Ridley.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 02:00 PM
 
177 posts, read 316,651 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
The area is entirely funky. I had friends who are definitely in 19070 attend Ridley School District, as well as folks as far as Secane and down by the MacDade Mall lot. I also had a buddy who lived squarely within Rutledge go to Ridley.
Yeah, the state really did Delco no favors when it came to consolidating the school districts. It's good though because Secane really just has nothing in common with any other part of Upper Darby township.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top