U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:00 PM

10 posts, read 14,901 times

Advertisements

I’ve lived in this area my whole life…grew up in ProspectPark, bought my first house in Milmont Park, and now live in Ridley Park, ahalf-block from ABC field. My opinion may be biased, but I’ll do my best to be objective.

Ridley Park, especially the areas around ABC field and thelake, is a decided half-step/step up then most of the communities that compriseRidley Township. (Note – I do think Folsom is getting a bit of a bad rap in this thread…it is a solid, middle class area, not in the least bit “seedy”.)

Also, another Ridley Twp section that I don’t think has been mentioned in this thread is Milmont Park, especially the areas off of Milmont Avenue heading toward Swarthmore…a very nice area with single family homes that borders Swarthmore (some sections have a Swarthmore mailing address, eventhough they are technically in Ridley Twp, it’s strange.)

Anyway, back to Ridley Park…as others have mentioned, folksin the borough really take pride in their little town, definently has more ofthat “small town” feel than sections of Ridley Twp. We’ve been in our new house for 18 months andare very happy here…(there are, at least in my neighborhood, more white collar,rather than blue collar workers…if that kind of thing matters to you.) The town is very walkable, very safe and, ifyou like older Victorians, the Historical District offers a number of different styles, some in beautiful condition, others being renovated to get there. The downtown area is nice, and the business association is trying hard to make it nicer.

My kids go to Ridley schools, as others have mentioned, thedistrict is solid…good, not great. We’vebeen very happy with the elementary school and middle school. There seems to be a “pride” surrounding theschools, and there is a high degree of parental involvement.

Personally, (now my objectivity is going to go out the window…) I feel like I’ve gotten the best of both worlds in my neighborhood andRidley Park…you could take my block and drop it in Swarthmore or Wallingford and it wouldn’t look out of place…but I’m not paying their outrageous taxes…(for admittedly a better school district…you get what you pay for I suppose, and yes, my taxes are high enough). Ridley Park is almost like a hidden secret along the MacDade Blvd/Chester Pike corridor, especially compared to other areas. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

Last edited by csquared_sr; 08-07-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia