Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 04:26 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
True! Big cities are becoming ''anywhere city''. The whole ''attitude'' thing about the Philly-Boston corridor is being watered down by people that grew up in leafy suburbs or some other small town/big town in other parts of the country.

Cities are becoming look-a-like, cookie-cutter, bland, and kinda boring places.
I don't find Philadelphia bland and cookie-cutter. That's more a characteristic of the explosive growth southern and western cities with the Anywhere, USA sprawl where seafood is Red Lobster, Italian is Olive Garden, and Mexican is Taco Bell & Chipotle.

I don't see the Philadelphia Center City as being much different from DC, Manhattan, and Boston. It's where bright, college educated people from all the places with limited economic opportunity move. With all the 5%er white collar jobs, you have upscale dining and retail options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 04:29 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
In Boston you sometimes have to be intelligent to realize you're being made fun of by a native, or just to keep up with the conversation. The sarcasm is quick, witty, dry, and often subtle.

Nothing about Philadelphia is subtle. Insults hit you over the head like a 2x4 (perhaps since it's near-impossible to mistake four-letter-words for anything other than their intention) and often outward attitude communicates more than words.

Boston Sucks. You mean like that?

Old 09-24-2017, 07:04 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Boston Sucks. You mean like that?
Any time I'm stuck in a traffic jam on 128 or the Southeast Expressway, I agree with you. LOL

I wasn't aware of any Boston-Philly rivalry. Maybe Celtics-76ers years ago back in "Havlicek stole the ball" era and the Dr J era. One Super Bowl game. The Boston inferiority complex is with New York.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:54 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't find Philadelphia bland and cookie-cutter. That's more a characteristic of the explosive growth southern and western cities with the Anywhere, USA sprawl where seafood is Red Lobster, Italian is Olive Garden, and Mexican is Taco Bell & Chipotle.

I don't see the Philadelphia Center City as being much different from DC, Manhattan, and Boston. It's where bright, college educated people from all the places with limited economic opportunity move. With all the 5%er white collar jobs, you have upscale dining and retail options.
Not saying Philly is bland and cookie-cutter but lots of U.S. cities downtowns/central areas are becoming look-a-like in may aspects. There are different variations of chain establishments in central cities as well as those sprawly ones you list.

If Boston-Manhattan-Philly have the same types of residents with white collar jobs, upscaling dining and retail options can contribute to and cause somewhat bland places after a while.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:51 AM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
I don't understand bringing back a thread from 2013.
He had to think about it for a while.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:06 AM

21 posts, read 23,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the rude perception is largely an outsiders perception imo, it's largely borne of "these people are different."it's true that people are often honest in the sense that you are more likely to know where you stand than other regions. sarcasm is abundant, and friendly insults are a sign of affection, not rudeness. when we lived in the south people would take them very seriously, consider them rude. OTOH, they had no problem being overly nice in person and trashing people the minute they turned their back (which might be called brutally dishonest). I'm sure population density has something to do with it, you can't stop and talk to everyone when there are so many people.
SO TRUE!! The South always says something is RUDE is they can't handle it or don't understand it. I remember my 34 y/o friend from Dallas working for a guy in Philly. She drove a BMW, fake tan, fake nails, fake boobs, botox galore, and she did modeling in the past. She lied to her boss a few times about having a broken leg and then he caught her lying. She called him a douchebag and said the city was "rude". She just expected everything HANDED to her. She said "he should feel bad for me". I was honestly stunned, she felt as though a person should feel bad for her because she faked having a broken limb? That makes him rude? I guess the south is impressed easily with fake everything but not in Philly. In Philly they're street smart, real, and you have to earn your way. Philly people aren't douchebags they just don't eat your ****.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:13 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgypsy View Post
SO TRUE!! The South always says something is RUDE is they can't handle it or don't understand it. I remember my 34 y/o friend from Dallas working for a guy in Philly. She drove a BMW, fake tan, fake nails, fake boobs, botox galore, and she did modeling in the past. She lied to her boss a few times about having a broken leg and then he caught her lying. She called him a douchebag and said the city was "rude". She just expected everything HANDED to her. She said "he should feel bad for me". I was honestly stunned, she felt as though a person should feel bad for her because she faked having a broken limb? That makes him rude? I guess the south is impressed easily with fake everything but not in Philly. In Philly they're street smart, real, and you have to earn your way. Philly people aren't douchebags they just don't eat your ****.
Right on sister. We are the City of Brotherly Love. But cross us. And b**tich. We'll punch you in the face. What I love about Philadelphia. We are as real as they come. Anytime New Yorkers come down here, and talk nonstop about their city downing Philly. Is when my 'attytude' kicks up. And I speak my mind. And tell em to GO BACK HOME.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:48 AM

82 posts, read 82,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Any time I'm stuck in a traffic jam on 128 or the Southeast Expressway, I agree with you. LOL

I wasn't aware of any Boston-Philly rivalry. Maybe Celtics-76ers years ago back in "Havlicek stole the ball" era and the Dr J era. One Super Bowl game. The Boston inferiority complex is with New York.
I'm from Boston and have lived in Philly for the past ten years. In my experience it's a one-way rivalry. People from Boston tend to think of Philly as a sister city (shared revolutionary past and whatnot) while people from Philly tend to have some weird chip on their shoulder about Boston.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:55 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm from Boston and have lived in Philly for the past ten years. In my experience it's a one-way rivalry. People from Boston tend to think of Philly as a sister city (shared revolutionary past and whatnot) while people from Philly tend to have some weird chip on their shoulder about Boston.
It's not weird because Boston gets way more attention, nationally( maybe internationally), it seems, than Philadelphia does. Harvard and MIT are probably part of the reason, imo.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:53 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,456,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm a lifelong Philadelphia resident and I have no animosity towards Boston whatsoever. I find the New England sense of humor a little trying, but that's about it.
Maybe some Philadelphians are envious of all the Celtics, Patriots and Red Sox championships? And haven't the Bruins won at least one Cup since the Flyers' last one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia