Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philly a cosmopolitan city?
Yes 37 75.51%
No 12 24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:28 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,396,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
As HeavenWood pointed out in post #52, there are numerous other neighborhoods and sections of the city that are thriving or improving. Many of them are radiating from Center City while others have always been solid. I'd like to think that you don't actually believe your comment above and were just trying to be witty.
I do believe what I say based on observations,though some may be hyperbole,that's it in a nutshell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 11:05 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,884,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Maybe a bit of center city...rest is 'hoodz
Question...What's YOUR definition of cosmopolitan? See I grew up in some of those "hoodz" and have known some of the most talented, creative, free thinking, well traveled and well rounded people anywhere in the world. I just feel that income and to some extent, education places some in a larger bracket of cosmopolitan than others.
For example I've traveled with various film crews and when we'd arrive the line producer and directors would meet with ceo's of the ad agencies as well as the head political figures of the area we're shooting in. We are in the best hotels and the amenities are excellent, the company is spending $$$ and I usually have a great time but STILL the top dogs have been there at least a dozen times already and shop & eat at establishments that many others won't frequent. Heck a couple that I work with are on a fist names basis with Cindy Crawford and her husband, they even flies them out to places in they are visiting or working for a few days. They'll come back with pictures from $30 Million Dollar yachts and pictures of cerlebs and name dropping.

That probably won't happen for me but does it make me or any other below the line employees non-cosmopolitan??

As far as the hoodz I have found them to be a place of varying levels of creativity in arts and entertainment. Anyone who wants to succeed in that medium or any other career field usually find others with the same goals and desires and make proper choices to obtain them. Do I want to live back those areas??? Uh no. (lol) but I know it's not as cut & dry as you point out. As far yuppies and hipsters go, I would say a very large percentage of them ride the wave of something that has already been building in the "hoodz" for a very long time. It's just that when it takes a hold of that community the media will publicize it to 10th degree and now it becomes the "New & Hot" thing in America. (lol)

Old 06-23-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Question...What's YOUR definition of cosmopolitan? See I grew up in some of those "hoodz" and have known some of the most talented, creative, free thinking, well traveled and well rounded people anywhere in the world. I just feel that income and to some extent, education places some in a larger bracket of cosmopolitan than others.
For example I've traveled with various film crews and when we'd arrive the line producer and directors would meet with ceo's of the ad agencies as well as the head political figures of the area we're shooting in. We are in the best hotels and the amenities are excellent, the company is spending $$$ and I usually have a great time but STILL the top dogs have been there at least a dozen times already and shop & eat at establishments that many others won't frequent. Heck a couple that I work with are on a fist names basis with Cindy Crawford and her husband, they even flies them out to places in they are visiting or working for a few days. They'll come back with pictures from $30 Million Dollar yachts and pictures of cerlebs and name dropping.

That probably won't happen for me but does it make me or any other below the line employees non-cosmopolitan??

As far as the hoodz I have found them to be a place of varying levels of creativity in arts and entertainment. Anyone who wants to succeed in that medium or any other career field usually find others with the same goals and desires and make proper choices to obtain them. Do I want to live back those areas??? Uh no. (lol) but I know it's not as cut & dry as you point out. As far yuppies and hipsters go, I would say a very large percentage of them ride the wave of something that has already been building in the "hoodz" for a very long time. It's just that when it takes a hold of that community the media will publicize it to 10th degree and now it becomes the "New & Hot" thing in America. (lol)
Then I don't know quite how to describe the hooligan-filled 'hoods of south Philly or the enigma that is northeast. Certainly no free thinking(haha,I feel like an outcast being the only one around),creative, and certainly not well traveled here. It's basically an indescribable 'dead zone'...

Old 06-23-2013, 03:25 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,907,368 times
Quote:
Then I don't know quite how to describe the hooligan-filled 'hoods of south Philly or the enigma that is northeast. Certainly no free thinking(haha,I feel like an outcast being the only one around),creative, and certainly not well traveled here. It's basically an indescribable 'dead zone'...
In other words not cosmopolitan, but not hood either? Like the less-educated, upper working/lower middle class parts of any other city?

Old 06-23-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
In other words not cosmopolitan, but not hood either?
Every city has 'hoods,and no not cosmo here...no plastic people and overpriced things...not really that great of food either

Old 06-23-2013, 06:11 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,907,368 times
Quote:
Every city has 'hoods,and no not cosmo here...no plastic people and overpriced things...not really that great of food either
Spoken like a true sophisticate.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Spoken like a true sophisticate.
Like I said - plastic people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia