U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2013, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia Pa
1,477 posts, read 1,316,656 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
They're not all good though. I'm not sure I agree with that. Lower Merion, Radnor, and Haverford pretty much blow Chadds Ford/Unionville out of the water. I'd put Rose Tree-Media above it too, because Rose Tree-Media isn't brand spanking new yet it's still a top school district.

That's exactly what I was saying, which is the district Newtown Square is in. Marple-Newtown is just barely better than Springfield.

Let me ask you this. Did you consider Unionsville-Chadds Ford to be that great of a school district before this infusion of wealth?
Not according to Philly mag.. and if your bringing wealth into this, then why should Chadds Ford be questioned and now Lower Merion? Yes, it is a newer developed area, but that doesnt mean the schools used to be poor, they were just very small.

And Chadds Ford Unionville has been consistently ranked a top 3 school district in the area and possible state for as long I can remember. And FYI, Chadds Ford has always been known as a very wealthy area, the population in recent years has just gone up a lot because of so much open land. But for years Chadds Ford was wealthy bucolic estates.

All of the mentioned districts area great, but Lower Merion, and Chadds Ford/Unionville, Conestoga as well are a tier above the rest. Then, still excellent, comes Radnor, Rose Tree, Wallingford/Swarthmore.

Havorford is more comparable to Marple Newtown.

here is 2012 high school, and 2008 school district rankings, a few slight changes.

The Top 100 Philadelphia-Area Public Schools 2012 | Philadelphia Magazine Articles
http://www.phillymag.com/files/images/Full_ranking.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2013, 07:17 PM
 
178 posts, read 97,366 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not according to Philly mag.. and if your bringing wealth into this, then why should Chadds Ford be questioned and now Lower Merion? Yes, it is a newer developed area, but that doesnt mean the schools used to be poor, they were just very small.

And Chadds Ford Unionville has been consistently ranked a top 3 school district in the area and possible state for as long I can remember. And FYI, Chadds Ford has always been known as a very wealthy area, the population in recent years has just gone up a lot because of so much open land. But for years Chadds Ford was wealthy bucolic estates.

All of the mentioned districts area great, but Lower Merion, and Chadds Ford/Unionville, Conestoga as well are a tier above the rest. Then, still excellent, comes Radnor, Rose Tree, Wallingford/Swarthmore.

Havorford is more comparable to Marple Newtown.

here is 2012 high school, and 2008 school district rankings, a few slight changes.

The Top 100 Philadelphia-Area Public Schools 2012 | Philadelphia Magazine Articles
http://www.phillymag.com/files/images/Full_ranking.pdf
PhillyMag is never a source that should be taken seriously.

Because Lower Merion has faced urban problems for decades now. It's not some new place, and it's existed for hundreds of years. Not the case with Chadds Ford.

Conestoga is not anywhere near on par with Lower Merion or any other Main Line school district. It's just like Chadds Ford, yet another brand spanking new district that's benefited from never having to be tested or having to deal with the problems that reveal just how "great" a school district really is. You seriously think Conestoga and Chadds Ford are better than Radnor, the most wealthy, Old Money part of this county? Really?

No, Haverford is definitely not comparable to Marple Newtown. Marple-Newtown is nowhere near that level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2013, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA (University City)
5,789 posts, read 3,572,363 times
Reputation: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
PhillyMag is never a source that should be taken seriously.

Because Lower Merion has faced urban problems for decades now. It's not some new place, and it's existed for hundreds of years. Not the case with Chadds Ford.

Conestoga is not anywhere near on par with Lower Merion or any other Main Line school district. It's just like Chadds Ford, yet another brand spanking new district that's benefited from never having to be tested or having to deal with the problems that reveal just how "great" a school district really is. You seriously think Conestoga and Chadds Ford are better than Radnor, the most wealthy, Old Money part of this county? Really?

No, Haverford is definitely not comparable to Marple Newtown. Marple-Newtown is nowhere near that level.
Tredyffrin-Easttown (Conestoga) covers most of the Western Main Line--more newer development than Lower Merion, but it's not a "Johnny-come-lately" the way Glen Mills or Unionville-Chadds Ford are. The biggest difference between TE and LM is that TE's historically black enclave (Paoli) declined in population for decades, whereas LM's (Ardmore and Route 30 Bryn Mawr), after a brief decline, stayed steady at 4.5% for three censuses (1980-2000) before jumping to 5.6% in 2010. TE's black population is starting to rebound as well, though I think it will do so in a slow, steady fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2013, 09:05 PM
 
178 posts, read 97,366 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Tredyffrin-Easttown (Conestoga) covers most of the Western Main Line--more newer development than Lower Merion, but it's not a "Johnny-come-lately" the way Glen Mills or Unionville-Chadds Ford are. The biggest difference between TE and LM is that TE's historically black enclave (Paoli) declined in population for decades, whereas LM's (Ardmore and Route 30 Bryn Mawr), after a brief decline, stayed steady at 4.5% for three censuses (1980-2000) before jumping to 5.6% in 2010. TE's black population is starting to rebound as well, though I think it will do so in a slow, steady fashion.
Oh okay. I thought it was called Tredyffrin School District and not Conestoga?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA (University City)
5,789 posts, read 3,572,363 times
Reputation: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
Oh okay. I thought it was called Tredyffrin School District and not Conestoga?
Tredyffrin-Easttown SD; Conestoga High School (I thought you might be confusing the two).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2013, 09:20 PM
 
178 posts, read 97,366 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Tredyffrin-Easttown SD; Conestoga High School (I thought you might be confusing the two).
Actually it was cpomp who did. She was mentioning districts and put "Conestoga" in there. I knew that didn't sound quite right.

I have to say that Conestoga never really struck me as Main Line though. It always reminded me of Bucks County or parts of Montco outside of the Main Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2013, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA (University City)
5,789 posts, read 3,572,363 times
Reputation: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
Actually it was cpomp who did. She was mentioning districts and put "Conestoga" in there. I knew that didn't sound quite right.

I have to say that Conestoga never really struck me as Main Line though. It always reminded me of Bucks County or parts of Montco outside of the Main Line.
The Route 30 corridor is pretty similar. The biggest difference, IMO, is that there's more post-war cookie cutter development away from Lancaster Avenue in TE than LM. But there's also a lot of older "Main Line-style" custom development as well. Everything between/including Strafford and Paoli (the classic western terminus) is on the rail line and part of the school district. It's once you get past Malvern or so that everything turns into typical upscale suburban sprawl (Exton on out).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia Pa
1,477 posts, read 1,316,656 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
Actually it was cpomp who did. She was mentioning districts and put "Conestoga" in there. I knew that didn't sound quite right.

I have to say that Conestoga never really struck me as Main Line though. It always reminded me of Bucks County or parts of Montco outside of the Main Line.

I didnt confuse anything. I figured people who are supposedly well versed with the area would know Conestoga was TE..guess not. Which is an excellent school district as well.

I am saying that Chadds Ford is equal if not a better district than Radnor. Every ranking site is more or less the same. In some instances both Unionville and Radnor are above Lower Merion. They are all on par. Both communities are very wealthy, and just because Radnor is long time money does make it a better school district. So move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 AM
 
76 posts, read 48,164 times
Reputation: 38
There is simply no way that Radnor is ranked below the Chadds Ford/Unionville School District. I'd think Great Valley SD would be places above them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA (University City)
5,789 posts, read 3,572,363 times
Reputation: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCdelco View Post
There is simply no way that Radnor is ranked below the Chadds Ford/Unionville School District. I'd think Great Valley SD would be places above them as well.
Quite frankly, you're splitting split hairs at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top