Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:02 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I think having the Tyler Aboretum and Ridley Creek State Park and Linvilla Orchards is where I am coming from. It just provides a more low key countryside feel, not every piece of land is developed like in lower merion, there seems to be much more open space in parts of the Media area. And between Media, Swarthmore, Aston, Middletown and surrounding there are so many little festivals and community gatherings and activities for kids and families, it makes for a real nice community atmosphere. Its obviously present in lower merion, just not on the same level. I feel that in much of lower merion many people just happen to live near eachother, whereas much of media/swarthmore people are more than just neighbors.
Well, Lower Merion is fairly spread out in Penn Valley, Gladwyne, Villanova, and Rosemont, though you are right that the Main Line has more higher-density areas. But it does seem rather counter-intuitive that the Main Line is less inter-connected by virtue of its density. There's no shortage of festive or community gatherings either, especially in Narberth, Ardmore, or Bryn Mawr. Perhaps you prefer the sorts of activities and festivals a greater amount of open space can provide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Well, Lower Merion is fairly spread out in Penn Valley, Gladwyne, Villanova, and Rosemont, though you are right that the Main Line has more higher-density areas. But it does seem rather counter-intuitive that the Main Line is less inter-connected by virtue of its density. There's no shortage of festive or community gatherings either, especially in Narberth, Ardmore, or Bryn Mawr. Perhaps you prefer the sorts of activities and festivals a greater amount of open space can provide?
I guess. Probably my home town favoritism. But yes, I enjoy more of that small town, open space feel that there seems to be more of in Media and surrounding.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:54 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,020,364 times
All of the Main Line would be fine with me. I'd pick any of those places based on shopping or convenience or proximity to work. Close in I'd go with Bala/Wynwood/Narbeth. For shopping I might pick others. If I worked in MontCo I'd pick still others.

I always marvel at how super expensive people think the Main Line is. IF you look -- and of course, depending on what and where you buy -- you'd be surprised how 'affordable' the Main Line could be.

But if I lived there I'd keep perpetuating comments how 'uber exclusive' is is, too. Granted you're not going to get into certain areas for under a certain price point. But it's not like EVERY house EVERYwhere is a half-million dollars.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:06 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 412,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I always marvel at how super expensive people think the Main Line is. IF you look -- and of course, depending on what and where you buy -- you'd be surprised how 'affordable' the Main Line could be.
Yep. This is one of the many misconceptions about the Main Line.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
Yep. This is one of the many misconceptions about the Main Line.
There are certainly some less expensive (>$500,000) homes, but the Main Line cost premium still applies to them all the same.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 AM
LHM

Quote:
There are certainly some less expensive (>$500,000) homes, but the Main Line cost premium still applies to them all the same.
more like >$300,000

Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
more like >$300,000
Sub-$300k single family homes that aren't falling apart? Not entirely non-existent, but still fairly rare. Even so, what turns up is comparatively over-priced. That's not a knock on the Main Line. In many (though certainly not all) ways, the cost premium is justified. It's just the way things are.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:15 PM
LHM

Quote:
Sub-$300k single family homes that aren't falling apart?
Correct.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Correct.
Quote:
Not entirely non-existent, but still fairly rare. Even so, what turns up is comparatively over-priced.
10chars

Old 08-07-2013, 12:06 AM

177 posts, read 357,093 times
Just Media really. I could never live on the Main Line, though it is beautiful and impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia