Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 AM

28 posts, read 85,602 times

Advertisements

Just curious what the general consensus is. While I agree both areas have gorgeous homes, I tend to prefer the main line because it's a continuous string of good neighborhoods as opposed to Wallingford, Swarthmore, & Media which seem to be more isolated communities. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 08:37 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,376 times
The main line has bad pockets as well. Every area does. Your best bet is to get a realtor and go look at homes in every area. It never hurts to look. All of the areas you have posted about you won't go wrong in. I think a lot of people put too much stress into the areas. As long as you're not buying in Chester you will be good. Each school is teaching the same things for the most part anyway.

I will tell you the people on the main line are definitely different than everywhere else. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's a different taste.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,986 times
I prefer Wallingford/Swarthmore/Media. The residents seem less impressed with themselves.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 AM

28 posts, read 85,602 times
Mancat I actually feel the opposite! I respect your opinion but I feel like the main liners are actually less impressed with themselves considering that they are (mostly) surrounded by other wealthy people. Since Swarthmore and Wallingford border fairly average towns (in comparison) I feel that they are more inclined to show off their wealth. Of course, these are very broad generalizations and not meant to offend.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:08 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
I agree with gophils09 that there does seem to be just as much I guess pretentious behavior in both areas. But I prefer the Media/Swarthmore area. First, both have great little downtowns especially Media, there just seems to be more a community atmosphere in these areas as well, with parks and recreation and swim clubs everywhere you go. And it just feels more relaxed. The main line for the most part is centered around route 30 which is terrible and overly congested.

But I love both areas a lot, I just pick Media, of course.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gophils09 View Post
Mancat I actually feel the opposite! I respect your opinion but I feel like the main liners are actually less impressed with themselves considering that they are (mostly) surrounded by other wealthy people. Since Swarthmore and Wallingford border fairly average towns (in comparison) I feel that they are more inclined to show off their wealth. Of course, these are very broad generalizations and not meant to offend.
I'm just going by the people I've personally known from both areas. I've liked the Swarthmore and Media people without exception. The Main Liners can take their noblesse oblige and stick it up their bleached you-know-whats. Plus my experience with the super aggressive shoppers at the Wynnewood Giant doesn't help my impressions of the population.

Perhaps, in aggregate, you're correct.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,017 times
Quote:
Just curious what the general consensus is. While I agree both areas have gorgeous homes, I tend to prefer the main line because it's a continuous string of good neighborhoods as opposed to Wallingford, Swarthmore, & Media which seem to be more isolated communities. What do you guys think?
Depends on what part of the mainline you are talking about. The mainline is a huge area, stretching from Bala all the way out to Malvern... and while there are some gorgeous areas there, there are also some dumpy ones.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:43 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
The Main Line is considered more prestigious and comes at a greater cost premium, in some ways justified, in others not so much. As far as my personal opinion goes, while I think the Media-Swarthmore-Wallingford corridor is very nice, I like the fact that the Main Line has a long, more-or-less contiguous string of charming village centers, with post-war suburban infill off to the side (as opposed to three separate charming village centers surrounded by post-war suburban infill at all sides) though the suburban infill in both cases tends to be what I would consider tasteful custom construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
The main line has bad pockets as well. Every area does. Your best bet is to get a realtor and go look at homes in every area. It never hurts to look. All of the areas you have posted about you won't go wrong in. I think a lot of people put too much stress into the areas. As long as you're not buying in Chester you will be good. Each school is teaching the same things for the most part anyway.
If by "bad" you mean "dangerous," I couldn't disagree more. If by "bad" you mean "aesthetically unpleasing," I do agree. Some parts of Ardmore, Route 30 Bryn Mawr, Belmont Hills and a (small) slice of Narberth are a bit worse for the wear, especially given the real estate prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
I will tell you the people on the main line are definitely different than everywhere else. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's a different taste.
I vehemently disagree with this. Correcting for socio-economic background, your typical Main Liner isn't really any different than someone from Media-Swarthmore-Wallingford or any other upwardly mobile suburban corridor, though because the Main Line has a bit more wealth, you will see a bit more wealth-based pretension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
I prefer Wallingford/Swarthmore/Media. The residents seem less impressed with themselves.
See above. Maybe one in five Main Liners embody the negative stereotype--a persistently annoying minority for sure, but a group that never really bothered me because (1) they're easily avoided, and (2) I can laugh it off when I do come across them.

Quote:
I don't find your typical wealthy Main Liner any more or less showy than any other group of wealthy people. The Main Line's archetypal "crusty blueblood stereotype" (whether "genuine old money" or "new money wannabe") comes across as ironically pretentious in its bass-ackwards attempt to belie pretension. It's a different breed of annoying from the "flashy, tacky nouveau riche" stereotype (less common on the Main Line though still found to a modest extent), but both are annoying all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree with gophils09 that there does seem to be just as much I guess pretentious behavior in both areas. But I prefer the Media/Swarthmore area. First, both have great little downtowns especially Media, there just seems to be more a community atmosphere in these areas as well, with parks and recreation and swim clubs everywhere you go. And it just feels more relaxed. The main line for the most part is centered around route 30 which is terrible and overly congested.
It's a tradeoff. The Main Line has more contiguous charming, walkable village centers, and as a result is more crowded among its main thoroughfares. The Media Area has fewer charming, walkable village centers, but is less congested as a result. I don't see it being any more "relaxed" or having more of a "community atmosphere" though mabye there's something you can point to that I'm missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
But I love both areas a lot, I just pick Media, of course.
Same, just as I pick the Main Line.

Quote:
I'm just going by the people I've personally known from both areas. I've liked the Swarthmore and Media people without exception. The Main Liners can take their noblesse oblige and stick it up their bleached you-know-whats.

Quote:
Plus my experience with the super aggressive shoppers at the Wynnewood Giant doesn't help my impressions of the population.
LOLOLOLOL sounds like your issue is with stereotypical Jews. Cherry Hill-Voorhees, Upper Dublin, Northampton, etc. are just as "bad" in that regard (notice you said the Wynnewood Giant and not the Wayne Giant).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
Depends on what part of the mainline you are talking about. The mainline is a huge area, stretching from Bala all the way out to Malvern... and while there are some gorgeous areas there, there are also some dumpy ones.
More gorgeous than dumpy, though I agree there are some less attractive parts.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:14 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,208,299 times
Quote:
I'm just going by the people I've personally known from both areas. I've liked the Swarthmore and Media people without exception. The Main Liners can take their noblesse oblige and stick it up their bleached you-know-whats. Plus my experience with the super aggressive shoppers at the Wynnewood Giant doesn't help my impressions of the population.

Perhaps, in aggregate, you're correct.
That is hilariously sad. We're probably just upset at how crappy that Giant is.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:23 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post

It's a tradeoff. The Main Line has more contiguous charming, walkable village centers, and as a result is more crowded among its main thoroughfares. The Media Area has fewer charming, walkable village centers, but is less congested as a result. I don't see it being any more "relaxed" or having more of a "community atmosphere" though mabye there's something you can point to that I'm missing?

Same, just as I pick the Main Line.

I think having the Tyler Aboretum and Ridley Creek State Park and Linvilla Orchards is where I am coming from. It just provides a more low key countryside feel, not every piece of land is developed like in lower merion, there seems to be much more open space in parts of the Media area. And between Media, Swarthmore, Aston, Middletown and surrounding there are so many little festivals and community gatherings and activities for kids and families, it makes for a real nice community atmosphere. Its obviously present in lower merion, just not on the same level. I feel that in much of lower merion many people just happen to live near eachother, whereas much of media/swarthmore people are more than just neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia