Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:36 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I love that plan! I'm not sure how a Media Expressway would work out. Would it be along the current alignment of Baltimore Pike? I really love the idea of an airport bypass. If it was tunneled, then people wouldn't have to look at the South Philly refinery as they cross the George C. Platt Bridge. It's a turn-off to many people (I love it because of its history, however).

This may be a little redundant, but what if I-476 continued to a new bridge over the Delaware River and made a direct connection to I-295 and the Jersey Turnpike? If this happened, then Philly would have something similar to a half-beltway . Jersey Turnpike N to I-476 N to I-276 E back to the Jersey Turnpike N would create a secondary bypass.
Where are the billions going to come from to do any of this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 03:10 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Where are the billions going to come from to do any of this??
I was just an idea. I would rather support money going towards suburban rail projects rather than to highways (since this was a suburban highway proposal).

Old 06-07-2015, 06:36 PM

312 posts, read 268,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Would the u city tunnel free up riverfront for development?
Yes! Exactly the idea! It will almost be like Boston's waterfront and Chicago's development like the TRUMP tower along the river

Old 06-07-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I love that plan! I'm not sure how a Media Expressway would work out. Would it be along the current alignment of Baltimore Pike? I really love the idea of an airport bypass. If it was tunneled, then people wouldn't have to look at the South Philly refinery as they cross the George C. Platt Bridge. It's a turn-off to many people (I love it because of its history, however).

This may be a little redundant, but what if I-476 continued to a new bridge over the Delaware River and made a direct connection to I-295 and the Jersey Turnpike? If this happened, then Philly would have something similar to a half-beltway . Jersey Turnpike N to I-476 N to I-276 E back to the Jersey Turnpike N would create a secondary bypass.

I took your idea and made this. The red is existing highways and the blue is new. I took your idea about the I-476 bridge and made a beltway that could be called the "Tri State Beltway" or "Philadelphia Beltway." After doing this, I would find that this beltway would be an amazing idea. It would free up shore traffic from The Main Line and up North. Also, extending 309 all the way to around Tom's River would give more direct access for Philly and Northern Jersey. This would most likely be a toll road as it would connect to the PA Turnpike up north. So when you come over the new bridge, it will immediately turn into a turnpike.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post

I took your idea and made this. The red is existing highways and the blue is new. I took your idea about the I-476 bridge and made a beltway that could be called the "Tri State Beltway" or "Philadelphia Beltway." After doing this, I would find that this beltway would be an amazing idea. It would free up shore traffic from The Main Line and up North. Also, extending 309 all the way to around Tom's River would give more direct access for Philly and Northern Jersey. This would most likely be a toll road as it would connect to the PA Turnpike up north. So when you come over the new bridge, it will immediately turn into a turnpike.
Now THAT's what I call an amazing highway system! Excellent work!

Old 06-08-2015, 06:37 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:

i think if Philly could do this the traffic issue would be solved. My idea is to add the Media Expressway from Media (intersect with 476) to 76 in South Philly. Also, move the schuylkill under University City. Also, create a airport bypass that takes you directly from I-76 to the Airport instead of having to go over that bridge and hit traffic lights. Also, extend 309 and 1 until they intersect with each other and then they become regular roads.
I am not sure where the Media expressway would be located. But I assure you that any new highway in Delaware County would be next to impossible. If you look up the history of 476 "Blue Route", the section that cuts through Media/Nether Providence was the most argued stretch of highway in history, took 30 years to complete. People did not want a highway cutting through their backyard, which is why 476 is only 2 lanes with no billboards and 40ft tall barriers.

It took Media 10 years just to approve a new Wawa and hotel near the downtown....

Many of the Philadelphia suburban communities do not like highways (I don't either) they ruin landscapes and communities and the Philadelphia suburbs that may benefit traffic-wise from additional highways are either super developed or super wealthy which=impossible to create new highways.

Many residents may be a pain with their NIMBY beliefs, but those people saved the city and suburbs from making a lot of tragic planning mistakes that would have ruined several communities.

I agree that I would much rather see an expanded railway system.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Yes! Exactly the idea! It will almost be like Boston's waterfront and Chicago's development like the TRUMP tower along the river
Please, lol. Penn will stop ANY tunnel. You're posting like any of this will happen. It won't.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Please, lol. Penn will stop ANY tunnel. You're posting like any of this will happen. It won't.
I know it won't. It's just an idea for what our highway system could look like if Philly/Jersey had done projects like these years ago. But the demand was not there so we resulted in a very inefficient and poor planned freeway system. I really do think that some of the projects in downtown Philly could happen. The extension from I-76 to the airport is just running through oil refineries and soon enough (thanks Obama) they will be closed. And a tunnel, while 99% sure won't happen, if in time they can construct a tunnel like that without disturbing the colleges and their building foundations, i'm sure it could happen. But that is way far off.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:35 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:

You're designing roads in South Jersey?!? NJDOT built 295 with a disconnect at 42 & left it that way for about 50 years before starting to build the missing piece. Do you realize that hell will freeze over before NJDOT would consider this plan?

Old 06-08-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I know it won't. It's just an idea for what our highway system could look like if Philly/Jersey had done projects like these years ago. But the demand was not there so we resulted in a very inefficient and poor planned freeway system. I really do think that some of the projects in downtown Philly could happen. The extension from I-76 to the airport is just running through oil refineries and soon enough (thanks Obama) they will be closed. And a tunnel, while 99% sure won't happen, if in time they can construct a tunnel like that without disturbing the colleges and their building foundations, i'm sure it could happen. But that is way far off.
Supply the links that indicate that Obama( I assume you actually mean his administration) is going be involved with anything having to do with closing refineries in the Phila. area. Phila. is energy hub now like it hasn't been in years. All part of the fact that the country is pretty energy independent to the point that OPEC countries do not have the clout they used to. The USA exports oil/gas today.

Tbh, tunneling was done in the heart of Penn's campus in the, I think, 1950s to put the trolleys, that used to run through campus, underground. Penn was a "sleepy" campus back then. Not the multi-billion dollar institution it is now. The tunneling you propose would make, an already, extremely congested area much, much worse during any construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia