Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,744 times

Advertisements

my husband and i have lived in montgomeryville for the past 3 years. we have both been working in the blue bell area and love it here! i will be starting a new job in darby which will mean over an hour commute (rush hour traffic!). we can stay here for a few years, but we wanted to start considering places to move that would make the commute to darby more manageable without being too far from blue bell for my husband. we prefer the suburbs. we don't have a family yet, but would like to be in a good school district in a safe/ family friendly area if we do have kids in the future. i realize some areas are more expensive, and we're looking for a more affordable area (350-400k). we have a town home now, and would consider a town home again, but are ideally looking for a single family home ( 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms). is there a place that exists that meets these expectations?? thanks in advance for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 06:47 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,229 times
Only two ways I see to make that work is either reverse commute with the regional rail lines or pick a spot along 476... I'm guessing a spot along where 476 and route 3 / west chester pike meet? It's not impossible to get on the mainline for 350-400 either it seems. That seems like a more perfect center point.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:28 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,674 times
Broomall or Havertown might be good options. Both are close to 476 - which would be good for your husband (as MikeNigh points out) and it's not far from Darby. These areas are also in your price range and is a very quiet, safe, family-friendly area. You could also consider certain points along the mainline..though that would extend your commute a bit and your money won't go as far.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,744 times
Thanks for the responses! We have been researching and my husband found new twin homes that are being built in upper roxborough-- the incentive being no HOA fees and no taxes for 10 years. any feedback on this area and/or school districts? we're finding it challenging to narrow it down to a certain area, still looking at king of prussia/valley forge, lafayette hill, ambler, skippack, chesterbrook, wayne, swarthmore/wallingford, ardmore (narberth) area... it's a little overwhelming!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:36 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,674 times
Since neither of you work in Philadelphia - Roxborough might not be the wisest option. You will have to pay city wage tax (I think something like 4%) for residents, on top of your 3.5 (ish)% PA state income tax. The Philly school district has a pretty poor reputation. There are areas where the elementary schools are good, but things go downhill once the kid gets to high school - unless s/he can get into a magnet or charter school.

Some of the places in Upper Merion (KOP, Gulph Mills, etc) have very reasonable property taxes. Though anything out that way will be quite a hike to Darby.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,863 times
Conshohocken/West Conshohocken. I work in University City and my fiance works in Broomall. The location is perfect (for us).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia