Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:01 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
I have no problem whatsoever admitting that compared to many who grow up in the city (outside of the Northeast or Chestnut Hill, that is), I'm sheltered.
The Northeast and Chestnut Hill are sheltered? You really don't know very much about Philadelphia. Maybe you should go out and explore the city instead of spending all your time on a message board yapping about what you don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 08:24 AM

177 posts, read 357,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
The Northeast and Chestnut Hill are sheltered? You really don't know very much about Philadelphia. Maybe you should go out and explore the city instead of spending all your time on a message board yapping about what you don't know.
Compared to where I grew up, yeah they are. Not the Lower Northeast but definitely the Middle and Far Northeast. Actually, I know quite a bit about Philadelphia thanks, and have family from different parts of Philly.

Yipping? Look at little the tough guy from Havertown. How cute. Funny, I don't think I've ever come across anybody from your area who knows how to handle himself so who are you trying to fool with the tough guy talk?

Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,044 times
Quote:
Compared to where I grew up, yeah they are. Not the Lower Northeast but definitely the Middle and Far Northeast. Actually, I know quite a bit about Philadelphia thanks, and have family from different parts of Philly.

Yipping? Look at little the tough guy from Havertown. How cute. Funny, I don't think I've ever come across anybody from your area who knows how to handle himself so who are you trying to fool with the tough guy talk?
I'm not from Havertown. Plus, I'm pretty sure you're a 12 year-old. Have fun posting on message boards all day, little boy.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
I'm not from Havertown. Plus, I'm pretty sure you're a 12 year-old. Have fun posting on message boards all day, little boy.
Keep talking tough without ever backing it up like a typical suburban kid from this area.

I would really just love for you to try to say any of this to my face but since you never will, I'll just laugh at you and quit responding to your catty ass.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:53 AM

221 posts, read 400,176 times
There are sheltered people everywhere. I don't think neighborhood or county really defines that. It's pretty hard to generalize people's attitudes by county (Bucks, Montco, Delaware, etc.) because they are all pretty diverse in terms of people's origins, incomes, and opinions. There's not really a fundamental difference between the suburban counties. When I cross County Line Road from Montgomery to Bucks people aren't going to suddenly start acting different. Even generalizing Lower Northeast vs. whatever the "middle" Northeast is and Far Northeast is pretty impossible.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post
There are sheltered people everywhere. I don't think neighborhood or county really defines that. It's pretty hard to generalize people's attitudes by county (Bucks, Montco, Delaware, etc.) because they are all pretty diverse in terms of people's origins, incomes, and opinions. There's not really a fundamental difference between the suburban counties. When I cross County Line Road from Montgomery to Bucks people aren't going to suddenly start acting different. Even generalizing Lower Northeast vs. whatever the "middle" Northeast is and Far Northeast is pretty impossible.
That's not even remotely true. I agree that Bucks and Montgomery and even Chester counties are very similar but only a small part of Delaware County is anything like any of the others. You can't compare counties that sprawl out hundreds of square miles more than Philadelphia, and ones that only have a handful of places that border the city to one where even in the middle of the county, you can take a train to Center City in less than an hour. I don't lump in lower Montgomery County with Bucks or Chester counties because it borders parts of North and Northwest Philly but really there's no comparison between the vast majority of Delaware County and the other PA counties outside of Philadelphia.

As for the Northeast, so there isn't a difference between Frankford, Oxford Circle/Castor, Lawndale/Lawncrest, Wissinoming, and Mayfair, Fox Chase/Burlhome, and Rhawnhurst, let alone parts north of that?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:33 AM

221 posts, read 400,176 times
Quote:
As for the Northeast, so there isn't a difference between Frankford, Oxford Circle/Castor, Lawndale/Lawncrest, Wissinoming, and Mayfair, Fox Chase/Burlhome, and Rhawnhurst, let alone parts north of that?
Yes, on a whole there are major differences between those neighborhoods. But if you're talking about where someone is from determining if they're "sheltered" or not, I don't think there's any absolute truth to that. The fact that someone is from Mayfair doesn't automatically make them more or less sheltered than someone from Parkwood. I'm saying there are many other factors to that.

In the suburbs, distance to Philadelphia doesn't automatically change that either. Lafayette Hill is closer to Philadelphia than Norristown, but it's a much nicer place to be.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, on a whole there are major differences between those neighborhoods. But if you're talking about where someone is from determining if they're "sheltered" or not, I don't think there's any absolute truth to that. The fact that someone is from Mayfair doesn't automatically make them more or less sheltered than someone from Parkwood. I'm saying there are many other factors to that.

In the suburbs, distance to Philadelphia doesn't automatically change that either. Lafayette Hill is closer to Philadelphia than Norristown, but it's a much nicer place to be.
I wasn't saying people in the Northeast were sheltered. I was saying that aside from people in Chestnut Hill or the Middle to Far Northeast, I'm probably sheltered compared to people who grew up in the city, and I was only saying that because Larry Bowa was trying to run his mouth at me again. I consider Mayfair a lot like where I grew up actually. I can understand where you're coming from though, and I know the Northeast is a lot more varied than people give it credit for.

Norristown isn't a suburb though. That's like comparing Pottstown to Bensalem. If you compare Montgomery County, Chester County, and Bucks County municipalities to those in Delaware County, you will find that outside of the city and urban parts of those counties (Newtown, Bristol borough, Pottstown, Norristown, Chonshohocken, Cheltenham, Coatesville, West Chester, Phoenixville, etc), Delaware County is much less sheltered and much more connected to the city. Bucks County borders the Northeast and that's it, and Montgomery County borders parts of North, Northwest, and West Philly but only a very tiny portion of that county is near the city. Delaware County on the other hand borders West and Southwest Philly, its municipalities are much smaller in area, and it is a much more compact county. The majority of Delaware County is closer to the city than the majority of Bucks or Montco are. Comparing Roxborough/Manyunk to Cobbs Creek, Elmwood, or especially Kingsessing is ridiculous, too. Montgomery County borders some legitimately bad parts, much moreso than Bucks County, but like I said it's a much smaller section of that county that is close to those parts of the city compared to Delco.

Also, Norristown isn't that much further from the city than Lafayette Hill.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:07 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,521,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
We've kinda gotten past that on Philadelphia Speaks. I think both of you need to settle this at 5th and Indiana.
Is there a tea room at 5th and Indiana?

Old 08-08-2013, 04:10 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,521,377 times
Quote:
You can find street-smart people and tough guys anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia