Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:54 AM

938 posts, read 1,228,702 times

Advertisements

A website titled exactly this way shows Pennsylvania as ranking 14th in Property Tax Burden by State.It shows the median home value as $131,900 and median tax on that value of about $1937. If that is so then Delaware County is way out of line for a property of $131,900 would be taxed almost $4,000 and a $204,000 house at $8,015. Based on this evaluation the taxes should be $3,048. What is wrong with this picture. Still according to US News and World Report the Upper Darby School District reports College Readiness is 300% less likely than if a student attends Haverford or Marple-Newtown Schools. Is the money from School taxes being utilized properly in Upper Darby and is the school district in need of some new direction to get the College Readiness Index in line or possibly both. I love Delaware County. I love Drexel Hill. I have witnessed the deterioration of school districts and it seems as though over taxing and under achievement in schools is a recipe for failure. If you might be curious: 1) New Jersey; 2) New Hampshire; 3) Connecticut; 4) New York; 5) Rhode Island; 6) Massachusetts; 7) Illinois (First Reported not in the Northeast),.... etc. My peers will dread I published this information but ignoring the problem will not make it go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 AM

4,512 posts, read 4,043,147 times
I suppose it's their version of an income tax. Which would you rather have?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:19 AM

434 posts, read 1,312,858 times
Do your figures above ($4,000 in taxes for a $131K house and $8,015 taxes on a $204K house) include taxes paid to both the municipality AND taxes paid to the school district in Pennsylvania? Does the web site you reference do the same? It's hard to draw any conclusions without really understanding how these numbers and rankings are derived.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:24 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
North Jersey skews the NJ tax base. Us South Jersey folks have the same(even less) as the pa burbs do. Just as Delaware county skews the pa tax base as compared to the central and western part of the state

Old 07-15-2013, 09:41 AM

Default Comparison of Taxes in Delco/PA

Website states Property Taxes? I understand property tax to be all taxes: County, Municipal and School. If it were municipal and County only it would be close to median.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:47 PM

Default Tax relief in PA -- Maybe!!!!!

Realreform76.com Senate Bill 76 proposes to eliminate school property taxes. DID YOU HEAR ME ELIMINATE SCHOOL PROPERTY TAXES. After years of complaining a chance to voice your approval of lower or no School property taxes. There is no free ride but the burden is shared by transferring the fund raising to a higher personal income tax raised from 3.07 to 4.34%. I like it. I like the idea that my land rent taxes after the mortgage has been retired will be reduced in my later years and give monies to those of age to maintain and improve their property and not be excessively burdened when their children have been long out of school. Next stop -- Improve public education or foster charter or private schools to improve the education given our children. If you have seen the clip on the news at Overbrook High School you can see how much out of control a large number of students in our schools have become. There is so many problems today not the least of which that we are in a "Community gone wild". Lowering the property tax is a help in home purchase affordability and ironically the increase in Personal Income tax would have no adverse impact on mortgage qualifying since qualifying is based on the gross not the net income. I'm pretty excited and NAR reports we are only 2 delegates from getting it through the Senate. Stand up -- Be Heard!!!! Please!!!!!!!!

Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Barnes View Post
Realreform76.com Senate Bill 76 proposes to eliminate school property taxes. DID YOU HEAR ME ELIMINATE SCHOOL PROPERTY TAXES. After years of complaining a chance to voice your approval of lower or no School property taxes. There is no free ride but the burden is shared by transferring the fund raising to a higher personal income tax raised from 3.07 to 4.34%. I like it. I like the idea that my land rent taxes after the mortgage has been retired will be reduced in my later years and give monies to those of age to maintain and improve their property and not be excessively burdened when their children have been long out of school. Next stop -- Improve public education or foster charter or private schools to improve the education given our children. If you have seen the clip on the news at Overbrook High School you can see how much out of control a large number of students in our schools have become. There is so many problems today not the least of which that we are in a "Community gone wild". Lowering the property tax is a help in home purchase affordability and ironically the increase in Personal Income tax would have no adverse impact on mortgage qualifying since qualifying is based on the gross not the net income. I'm pretty excited and NAR reports we are only 2 delegates from getting it through the Senate. Stand up -- Be Heard!!!! Please!!!!!!!!
Sounds like a scam to get retirees out of paying taxes.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:45 AM

Default Lol!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
You know this was a great response. Retirees paying taxes. I think you mean very well off retirees from paying taxes. While we are on taxes which one do you mean:

Gas Tax;
Sales Tax;
Personal Income Tax;
Municipal taxes;
City Taxes;
State Income Taxes;
Luxury taxes;
County Taxes;
Out of State purchases applied taxes;

add your favorite. Yep a real gem of a scam. Boy they are really trying to get one over on us aren't they. Reality Check please!!!!

Old 11-21-2013, 08:48 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
That's exactly what it is. Retirees, who benefited from the current system when they were younger and had children would now get out of paying their fair share. Horrible idea.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:50 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
That's exactly what it is. Retirees, who benefited from the current system when they were younger and had children would now get out of paying their fair share. Horrible idea.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia