Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 PM

132 posts, read 294,524 times

Advertisements

I know Garnet Valley SD is one of the best in the state. I can see why families would want to move there. I notice that GV has an over abundance of 55+ communities. While I have nothing against old people, I just don't know why there are so many in such a good school district. It is highly unlikely that if you live in one of those communities you have a child in the school district. I was passing by Booths Corner the other day and about a half mile down Naamans Creek Road they are putting in another 55+ community!

I'm annoyed at this because there is NO AFFORDABLE housing for younger people within the GV school district. Instead of putting in another 55+ why don't they build more town homes like the ones near Clayton Park.

Anyone else feel my pain with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:17 PM

364 posts, read 732,754 times
If there's anything the suburbs need more of, it's endless spawn of uninspired tract housing and town homes.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 PM

132 posts, read 294,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
If there's anything the suburbs need more of, it's endless spawn of uninspired tract housing and town homes.
You completely missed the point of my original thread...that's ok.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 PM

9,335 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watusi View Post
I know Garnet Valley SD is one of the best in the state. I can see why families would want to move there. I notice that GV has an over abundance of 55+ communities. While I have nothing against old people, I just don't know why there are so many in such a good school district. It is highly unlikely that if you live in one of those communities you have a child in the school district. I was passing by Booths Corner the other day and about a half mile down Naamans Creek Road they are putting in another 55+ community!

I'm annoyed at this because there is NO AFFORDABLE housing for younger people within the GV school district. Instead of putting in another 55+ why don't they build more town homes like the ones near Clayton Park.

Anyone else feel my pain with this?
IIRC, municipalities over a certain population have to have a certain number of low-income and/or senior housing units. Just about every suburban municipality, rightly or wrongly, will opt for 55+ over Section 8 for reasons that should be obvious. Garnet Valley's hardly alone on this one.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:36 AM

28 posts, read 85,637 times
Garnet Valley one of the best school districts in the state? I'm not being snarky, just genuinely confused. Are you confusing it with Great Valley, maybe? I never thought the areas surrounding Garnet Valley were particularly desirable.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:44 AM

9,335 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gophils09 View Post
Garnet Valley one of the best school districts in the state? I'm not being snarky, just genuinely confused. Are you confusing it with Great Valley, maybe? I never thought the areas surrounding Garnet Valley were particularly desirable.
Garnet Valley is definitely among the more affluent Districts, Bethel and Concord being rapidly developing upper middle class enclaves. I wouldn't slate it as top of the top, but it's definitely more than respectable.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
IIRC, municipalities over a certain population have to have a certain number of low-income and/or senior housing units. Just about every suburban municipality, rightly or wrongly, will opt for 55+ over Section 8 for reasons that should be obvious. Garnet Valley's hardly alone on this one.
55+'s are also easier to get approved than normal housing since seniors don't contribute as much to school overcrowding and rush hour traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia