U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 07:46 PM

3,898 posts, read 8,045,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
NJ burbs are nicer closer in than the avg PA Burb
Whoa What???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Those aren't really affordable either.
Though well within the range of OP's budget.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:28 PM

5,789 posts, read 3,572,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Though well within the range of OP's budget.
What exactly is the OP's budget? If we do the traditional 3x annual income it comes out to anywhere from $350k-$450k. You can get next to nothing at the bottom. Toward the top you can find some nice homes in Narberth, but in most of the other areas you'll be almost exclusively looking at boxy, uninspired 50s/60s splits and ranches that can be had in Havertown or Abington for over $150k less--not the types of homes that make the Main Line special/worth the cost premium IMO.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
What exactly is the OP's budget? If we do the traditional 3x annual income it comes out to anywhere from $350k-$450k. You can get next to nothing at the bottom. Toward the top you can find some nice homes in Narberth, but in most of the other areas you'll be almost exclusively looking at boxy, uninspired 50s/60s splits and ranches that can be had in Havertown or Abington for over $150k less--not the types of homes that make the Main Line special/worth the cost premium IMO.
There are deals and nice houses out there to be had in the range.

$300 K Ardmore

$315 K Ardmore

$395 K in Bryn Mawr

Last edited by Tone509; 08-14-2013 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Referencing specific realtors is considered advertising per the TOS

Old 08-04-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Look at Haddoenfield NJ. You will love it there. old world town that is spotless with stellar schools. 20 minites from Center city too.. The closest burb that is worth your time..
This reminds me of a radio bit I heard on WIP a couple weeks ago. The Phila Flyers train near Haddonfield NJ and a lot of the players and staff live in Haddonfield. Its convenient. makes sense, I get it. If I played for the Flyers I would live there to.

One of the WIP radio hosts lives I guess in Haverford Pa and is interviewing the Flyers analyst Steve Coates.. Steve Coates who lives in Haddonfield is going on and on about Haddonfield NJ. Oh its wonderful, all the players want to live there its the best town in Philadelphia yadda yadda. Bryzgalov loved it there. The WIP guy starts to freaking out telling Steve Coates he's getting a little carried away.. He was exactly right.

This is how I feel about Haddonfield. Haddonfield NJ is awesome but its like 11,000 people. Compare that to this string of towns in Pa. that make up the Main Line. Lower Merion Township(60,000) Radnor (30,000,) Tredyffrin (30,000) That's over 11 Haddonfields right next to each other.

Last edited by rainrock; 08-04-2013 at 10:59 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 12:13 AM

178 posts, read 97,366 times
Quote:
That's why I say they should look in places that are underrated, like Havertown. Especially in this market, you can get some damn nice houses in Havertown, Media, etc for a good deal less than they are worth, though I think they're looking to rent?

As for Haddonfield, personally I like some of the New Jersey river towns like Riverton and others with old, quaint architecture but I think the school districts are vastly overrated on here.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:20 AM

1,419 posts, read 348,983 times
Blue Bell is very expensive. Plymouth Meeting is nice and affordable and is part of the Plymouth Whitemarsh School District which is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Given the age, traffic and compactness of this region the better/newer apartment communities and school districts are more than 30 minutes from the city. Anywhere from 30-75 minutes out to get the combination of good/great schools and newer housing.

You can find incredibly quaint towns and good schools close in but you will probably renting in a red brick box that was built in the 1960's or 70's. Media/Swarthmore/ The Main Line Towns which there are a bunch

If you can stretch the commute

Garnet Valley/Glen Mills/Chadds Ford

West Chester

Malvern/Chesterbrook

Chester Springs

Valley Forge

Collegeville/Skippack/Blue Bell

Doylestown

Good luck

Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 PM

7,789 posts, read 9,222,702 times
Look it.. PLENTY of home in Haddonfield in the op's price. PLENTY

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-16-2013 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: removed rude comment

Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 PM

5,789 posts, read 3,572,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Look it.. PLENTY of home in Haddonfield in the op's price. PLENTY
The homes you can get in Haddonfield (not Haddon Heights, Haddon Township, or Barrington) at the OP's price point are rather small compared to what you can get in Cherry Hill, Haverford, Abington, your beloved Cinnaminson, etc. Haddonfield is a great suburb but it is not an affordable one.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-16-2013 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: removed comments referring to deleted post

Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 AM

886 posts, read 1,211,863 times
Wow... I see nothing wrong with those 50's - 60's "Uninspired" splits and "brick boxes." Grew up in one and they were made very solidly, unlike the later developments laden with vinyl siding. My old neighborhood in Springfield sells them so quickly to professionals as well as well-to-do blue collar families. So many are fixed up beautifully with extended porches, etc. Nice place to raise a family, and the school district is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia