Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 12:57 PM

640 posts, read 1,295,304 times

Advertisements

Best big-city neighborhoods - Mount Airy, Philadelphia (5) - Money Magazine

Mt. airy is a beautiful neighborhood and is a favorite of many. Question for the board do you think Mt.airy is a tad OVERRATED??? They always talk about mt.airy diversity. However there are other neighborhoods in the city that are more diverse. These neighborhoods might be poorer or less educated than mt.airy but they are diverse as well. Opinions please thanks.

Last edited by Aimewitue; 08-16-2013 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 01:47 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,760 times
I'm pretty sure I'd rather live in Mt. Airy than in at least half the neighborhoods on that list. So in this context, no I would not say it was overrated at #4 of 10

Old 08-16-2013, 04:36 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,521,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post

Mt. airy is a beautiful neighborhood and is a favorite of many. Question for the board do you think Mt.airy is a tad OVERRATED??? They always talk about mt.airy diversity. However there are other neighborhoods in the city that are more diverse. These neighborhoods might be poorer or less educated than mt.airy but they are diverse as well. Opinions please thanks.
Yes, overrated. Check out the crime statistics, I'm actually surprised at the crime they have ... And I wouldn't say it's all that diverse, it's mostly black (62.5%) and the "white" (31.7%) are mostly Jewish. (5.8% other)
http://spotcrime.com/pa/philadelphia/mount+airy
I'd prefer Society Hill or Crestmont Farms.

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 08-16-2013 at 04:57 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 04:56 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:

Anything can be overrated to anyone. I assume you mean Olney, South Philly or maybe even the Lower Northeast when you say there are more diverse neighborhoods, but the big thing in Mt Airy is economic diversity. Multi-Million Dollar Mansions, Apartment buildings, rowhomes, twins, etc. People of all professions and means living and working together in one neighborhood.

And Mt. Airy may be overrated by many in recent years but when I was growing up people incorrectly assumed Mt. Airy was ghetto.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:50 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,760 times
I guess if that article's methodology is "taking the best neighborhood from the 10 largest cities", then it's saying that Mt. Airy is the best hood in Philly. I can see how many people might object to that.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:38 PM

640 posts, read 1,295,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Anything can be overrated to anyone. I assume you mean Olney, South Philly or maybe even the Lower Northeast when you say there are more diverse neighborhoods, but the big thing in Mt Airy is economic diversity. Multi-Million Dollar Mansions, Apartment buildings, rowhomes, twins, etc. People of all professions and means living and working together in one neighborhood.

And Mt. Airy may be overrated by many in recent years but when I was growing up people incorrectly assumed Mt. Airy was ghetto.
Economic diversity in mt.airy is overrated as well. when you look CLOSELY at the area. You notice that the higher median incomes can be found further north and the lower median incomes are further south. You also find higher median incomes on the west side rather than the east. South of east mt airy ave is much different than north of east mt airy ave.

Income inequality in america is at an all-time high so more economic diversity would be nice to see.

Racial diversity i'm sure Olney,South Philly and even the lower northeast has much more racial diversity. But those neighborhoods are poorer so they dont get as much attention.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:42 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,521,491 times
Quote:

Racial diversity i'm sure Olney,South Philly and even the lower northeast has much more racial diversity. But those neighborhoods are poorer so they dont get as much attention.
And they have much more violent crime. I can't think of too many racially diverse neighborhoods in Philly that are good.

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 08-16-2013 at 09:55 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 PM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Yes, overrated. Check out the crime statistics, I'm actually surprised at the crime they have ... And I wouldn't say it's all that diverse, it's mostly black (62.5%) and the "white" (31.7%) are mostly Jewish. (5.8% other)
Mount Airy, Philadelphia, PA Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports
I'd prefer Society Hill or Crestmont Farms.
Jews aren't white?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:07 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Jews aren't white?
Sammy Davis Jr.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 PM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Sammy Davis Jr.
He would have made a fine Mt. Airy resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia