Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 02:30 AM

3 posts, read 6,847 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be moving to Malvern in mid spetember with my family (wife and a year old kid). As this is my first stint in the US, I was wondering on what are the things I should remember before moving to Malvern.

My office is near Valley Creek Park, What are the good apartments nearby for rental, I won't be buying a car soon so I would like to be comfortable with the transportation options.

My budget on housing including utilities is around 1300-1500 max. Please suggest some nearby superstores.

Thanks in advance.. looking for your response!!!

Regards
Kush
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 07:54 AM

434 posts, read 1,312,988 times
This one is a little tough. My instinct is that it would be difficult to live in or commute to Malvern without a car.

SEPTA is the public transportation method in Philadelphia and its surrounding suburbs. You can find info about their services here: SEPTA | Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority

As best I could tell looking at their maps, the Malvern area is served by the Paoli/Thorndale regional rail line (which would get you to/from Philadelphia) and bus numbers 92, 204, 205 and 206 (which have various routes throughout the Malvern/Paoli area).

It looks like the bus 206 hits the area of your office. Here's that map: http://www.septa.org/maps/bus/pdf/206.pdf

I hope that is a useful start. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 PM

Thanks.. I will check the routes and decide the area to stay. However any apartment that you recommend in this region ?

Any hotels for temporary accomodation nearby ?

Old 08-27-2013, 06:32 AM

147 posts, read 283,972 times
right next to your place of work you have the following extended stay hotels:

Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley Hotel | Extended Stay America

Philadelphia - Malvern - Swedesford Rd. Hotel | Extended Stay America

Hotel in Malvern PA | Courtyard Philadelphia Malvern

for apartments try apartments.com or rent.com

Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhusky11 View Post
right next to your place of work you have the following extended stay hotels:

Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley Hotel | Extended Stay America

Philadelphia - Malvern - Swedesford Rd. Hotel | Extended Stay America

Hotel in Malvern PA | Courtyard Philadelphia Malvern

for apartments try apartments.com or rent.com

Excellent short term options^ but in reality a car is going to be a much appreciated asset out in Malvern if you plan on staying awhile, rural area. The Homewood suites is within walking distance to Valley Creek. There is a Wegmans Supermarket , Target Store and of course a Wawa right there at the intersection of 202 + 29.

After you get settled and if you dont get a car look for something close to Route 30 which gives you rail access to some really nice local towns.From Philadelphia all the way out to Downingtown(30 mile distance).Research Septa and look at bus routes. I think there may be a bus that runs up route 29 to Valley Creek.( the 204+ 205 route). Perhaps you can get an apt somewhere on route 30 and take a train + bus to Valley Creek.

Good luck. Nice safe area but its very autocentric. You won't have to worry about bad weather until Dec-Jan..

Last edited by rainrock; 08-27-2013 at 09:38 AM..

Old 08-28-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Excellent short term options^ but in reality a car is going to be a much appreciated asset out in Malvern if you plan on staying awhile, rural area. The Homewood suites is within walking distance to Valley Creek. There is a Wegmans Supermarket , Target Store and of course a Wawa right there at the intersection of 202 + 29.

After you get settled and if you dont get a car look for something close to Route 30 which gives you rail access to some really nice local towns.From Philadelphia all the way out to Downingtown(30 mile distance).Research Septa and look at bus routes. I think there may be a bus that runs up route 29 to Valley Creek.( the 204+ 205 route). Perhaps you can get an apt somewhere on route 30 and take a train + bus to Valley Creek.

Good luck. Nice safe area but its very autocentric. You won't have to worry about bad weather until Dec-Jan..
Thanks..
Problem that I am facing is, there are not many apartments for rent available or some are not falling in my budget.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Sounds like your best bet is to find a hotel/motel as close to Valley Creek as possible. Then figure out your long term options once you get here. I'm sure your co workers/ employer will gladly assist you in finding a nice convenient area to live.

The Philadelphia area is the most affordable housing region in regards to the big east coast cities(NYC- Wash DC-Bos) An avg apt in the Malvern area is right in your max range.

Valley Creek is only a mile or so North of route 30(Lancaster Ave). Having a passenger rail line running parallel to Lanacaster Ave gives you good options.

So I would definitely get familiar with SEPTA website and find out your commuting options.

Close by towns along Lancaster Ave that might work are E of Malvern- Paoli,Strafford,,Berwyn, Devon,Wayne. Frazer,Exton,Downingtown are to the west . N + S is rural area.

There should be some affordable motels on Route 30 (Lancaster ave) to stay in short term until you get settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia