Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:19 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Rather than taking jobs away from the suburbs, I would rather companies from other cities move to the city. Nothing better than having a huge business base in the city and suburbs.
I agree in that relocating jobs from the suburbs to the city, doesn't really do much from a metropolitan perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 PM

36 posts, read 44,302 times
I feel like ppl bash this city for no reason and some foreigners I see on this forum bash this city but philly has been growing,it moved from gamma to alpha- global city, a lot of gentrification and crime is sometimes exaggerated. The worst thing I can only say about Philly is its public schools and crime in only certain neighborhoods. NYC has to deal with stop and frisk from the police. As I see Philly has improved a lot then it has 20-30 years ago. So the bashing I see on C-D is unbelievable. Crime is in EVERY City!!! just avoid the shady neighborhoods

Old 08-29-2013, 07:48 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Rather than taking jobs away from the suburbs, I would rather companies from other cities move to the city. Nothing better than having a huge business base in the city and suburbs.
That's very true, and I think it's very important for the Philadelphia area to continue to think more regionally in terms of economic development, which is tough when both New Jersey and Pennsylvania can be very provincial with their municipal fiefdoms.

I think a lot progress is being made, though, in terms of thinking on a more metropolitan level. In terms of job locations, the Philly region could stand to have a lot more of its jobs located in the core. If you think Center City is doing well now, imagine if just 10% of the high-tech/white collar jobs currently in the King of Prussia/Main Line/Conshohocken area were relocated to Philadelphia. I think the city would receive quite a boost.

To the broader question, I think everyone is hitting the nail on the head. The city's definitely trending the right direction (which seems to only be accelerating), but it needs to deal with the three key issues that have been plaguing it for decades: Schools, taxes and crime.

At any rate, it's very exciting to follow Philly's progress and see it reach its true potential.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:52 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Or even better, grow the business already here and set up the climate for the starting of many new businesses.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:07 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
The best would be for all those large companies in the suburbs to either relocate their headquarters to the city and keep open satellite offices in the suburbs, or visa versa and keep their headquarters in the suburbs and open up satellite offices in the city. As Philly continues to gentrify and get better I am willing to be most companies will either open satellite offices or relocate their headquarters to the city and keep satellite offices in the suburbs to be close to public transit, and the Amtrak line making them close to NYC and DC

Old 08-31-2013, 12:11 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Well, as a person who has lived in Asia for a long time, (but grew up in Michigan, I'm American born and raised). One thing about Asia, everything is incredibly convenient. In a way that very little of the U.S. actually is.

I've noticed the younger American generation also has a thing for density and conveniences and everything else within the U.S. It's just that so few cities offer that, and the ones that do, are generally too expensive.

Philadelphia has very attractive bones. The potential in that city is amazing. I think it has what it takes to attract the next generation of people who want to live in such a place. A more car-free existence with amenities everywhere, without the high prices usually attached.

The only downsides are the obvious ones that have effected pretty much all U.S. cities, with the immense social problems, drug addictions, poverty, etc. While I don't see that going away anytime soon, it will be nice to see people who also care about cities, come in and make them more desirable and liveable.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:22 AM

4,508 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The only downsides are the obvious ones that have effected pretty much all U.S. cities, with the immense social problems, drug addictions, poverty, etc. While I don't see that going away anytime soon, it will be nice to see people who also care about cities, come in and make them more desirable and liveable.
Yes but all the asia cities have areas with these issues too right? It's just in the US, even if the bad area is the equivalent of a town or two away, so long as it has the same name then "the whole area is bad".

Old 08-31-2013, 01:32 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Yes but all the asia cities have areas with these issues too right? It's just in the US, even if the bad area is the equivalent of a town or two away, so long as it has the same name then "the whole area is bad".
Asia is an emormous continent with a ton of variation. But, at least the countries I've predominately lived in, South Korea and Japan, really don't have these issues. Of course, there are people who don't make as much money as others in all societies, but they don't have the social problems, the gun culture, the drug culture, the crime issues, the addicts, etc. Those things are largely absent.

In both Seoul and Tokyo/Osaka, I've REGULARLY seen normal young women completely passed out drunk in the streets with purse nearby at 2am...and they remain that way untouched, and money remaining in the purse. I think you can't really compare them with US cities, as they just can't be compared.

But, I'm veering off the main topic of the amenities that come through density. Philadelphia has those bones in a way that very few American cities do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia