Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:37 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I was not being rude. But I had previous answered the posters question, I am not measuring up anything to NYC. I honestly don't like NYC anymore. So with all due respect, can we move on? LOL

If its dozens of neighborhoods in the city, just name whichever ones you chose. I can do research on the ones people name, and visit them or assess what they are close to, etc.
If you are really sick of NY then Philly may not be for you. Having lived a long time in both places I find the two cities remarkably similar in many ways and I am not the 1st to say that. We even have people here with attitudes as bad as yours. The major difference I found here is that there are more African Americans and fewer foreign born residents. Although there are plenty of immigrants here too, the primary language heard on the streets is English. Many people who move here, especially from NY, appreciate that it offers a more affordable NY lifestyle. Sorry I can't recommend anyplace specific because I still have no idea what you are looking for. If you just want names of neighborhoods then consult a map. If you opened www.4wallsinphilly.com you would find thumbnail descriptions of many neighborhoods.

Last edited by bryson662001; 10-11-2013 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 06:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
If you are really sick of NY then Philly may not be for you. Having lived a long time in both places I find the two cities remarkably similar in many ways and I am not the 1st to say that. We even have people here with attitudes as bad as yours. The major difference I found here is that there are more African Americans and fewer foreign born residents. Although there are plenty of immigrants here too, the primary language heard on the streets is English. Many people who move here, especially from NY, appreciate that it offers a more affordable NY lifestyle. Sorry I can't recommend anyplace specific because I still have no idea what you are looking for. If you just want names of neighborhoods then consult a map. If you opened www.4wallsinphilly.com you would find thumbnail descriptions of many neighborhoods.
Dude, you're projecting your own issues/opinions onto this.

If someone asked me what were the name of some well off, but safe neighborhoods in Los Angeles, I would say Venice Beach, Century City, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, parts of San Fernando Valley, Mar Vista, Culver City, Playa del Rey, Marina del Rey, etc. I would not put my opinions/two cents in, partially because I don't know the person. And the person with the bad attitude is you, because you keep beating a dead horse. I have lived in many places, my world does not revolve around NYC, and the NY in my screen name can be as much upstate NY and LI as NYC. And in all of the other cities and places that I've been, never did I compare or look for things to be as they were in NYC.

You don't even know why I am moving to Philly(really, none of your business and I'm not putting every detail of my life on a message board)

No need to compare anything in LA to another city, because all the person asked for was well off/safe neighborhoods in LA.

For those that answered my simple question with the names of nice neighborhoods in Philadelphia, thank you very much.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 10-11-2013 at 06:19 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
This is partially true. I live in Grad Hospital and whilst on the map Old City looks to only be about 1.5 miles away, it's like another world that i venture to only rarely. In fact, crossing broad sometimes seems like a massive mental moat. Visiting Fairmount? Fuhgetaboutit.

To the OP, I would look for the neighborhood that you love, with the amenities that you love, and a vibe that you're comfortable with--b/c you'll find yourself spending the vast majority of your time in it. Due to the lack of connective subways and easy-to-use RT, Philly is VERY neighborhood oriented.
That's a very good point. I know what amenities I like. And if I have to ultimately drive, that's no problem. Subways suck anyway. I'm not a train fanatic.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
After reading your 1st post I suspected you were just here to waste our time and my instinct told me to ignore your post. That's why I said "if your serious". So why didn't I follow my instinct? My bad.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:46 PM

52 posts, read 127,923 times
Wow, I have to chime in here and say... the NY writer guy is right about some of the reactions to his opinions.

Whether he likes NYC or not is irrelevant. He was just looking for information on some nicer neighborhoods of Philly. Some people came in here and got offended that he was saying he was sick of NY. Who cares if he is? Just answer his questions and offer some helpful advice instead of starting a pointless argument on a forum.

Please, NY, don't let these idiots sway your opinion of the people in the city. There are a lot of cool people who live here (and in the burbs like me-- though I'm planning a move to the city with a few friends in about 7 months).

I agree with all the areas mentioned. Some are way more costly than others. I consider Rittenhouse the Upper West Side of Philly. Then again, I'm a broke-ass music teacher who makes $2k a month. I love Center City, especially around 15th and Locust and all the cool stuff in the center-center.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:30 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,762 times
Nobody but the OP got offended and nobody gives a flying leap that he's leaving NY. Somebody asked him about neighborhoods in NY because he never said what kind of an area he wanted to live in, and for some reason he got his panties in a bunch over it. No biggie.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Nobody but the OP got offended and nobody gives a flying leap that he's leaving NY. Somebody asked him about neighborhoods in NY because he never said what kind of an area he wanted to live in, and for some reason he got his panties in a bunch over it. No biggie.
I never got my panties in a bunch. And if you didn't care about this matter, why stick your two cents in? You're being obnoxious and unnecessary confrontational.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Wow, I have to chime in here and say... the NY writer guy is right about some of the reactions to his opinions.

Whether he likes NYC or not is irrelevant. He was just looking for information on some nicer neighborhoods of Philly. Some people came in here and got offended that he was saying he was sick of NY. Who cares if he is? Just answer his questions and offer some helpful advice instead of starting a pointless argument on a forum.

Please, NY, don't let these idiots sway your opinion of the people in the city. There are a lot of cool people who live here (and in the burbs like me-- though I'm planning a move to the city with a few friends in about 7 months).

I agree with all the areas mentioned. Some are way more costly than others. I consider Rittenhouse the Upper West Side of Philly. Then again, I'm a broke-ass music teacher who makes $2k a month. I love Center City, especially around 15th and Locust and all the cool stuff in the center-center.
No worries, I'm not at all swayed by some people here. I've met my share of cool people from Philly and PA in general. And as with anything there are a lot of trolls on the internet.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:28 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I never got my panties in a bunch. And if you didn't care about this matter, why stick your two cents in? You're being obnoxious and unnecessary confrontational.
Mostly immaturity on my part. Sometimes it's fun to tweak people who react as you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia