Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 8,815 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband got a job offer in Souderton. We would be relocating from Colorado.
What type of place is it? Is it safe, we have a baby and that is a big
Concern for us. Is the cost of living high? Is like to hear just any
Opinions about Souderton and sorrounding areas.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 05:47 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Souderton's a great place to live! Very family-friendly, very safe, with good schools. Close to rural/natural areas, but also close to large shopping towns (Quakertown, Montgomerville).

The neighboring town, Telford (the boroughs kind of run together) has a fantastic library, with programs for babies/toddlers: Indian Valley Public Library.

Not sure how the cost of living compares to CO. It IS more expensive than some areas of the country, but cheaper than if you lived closer to Philly. As far as neighboring areas, I've either lived in or worked in neighboring towns for decades, and have chosen to stay here. Close enough to Philly for pro team fans, international airport, but far enough away where there's fresh air and fewer people.

There are many small towns around here with traditional Main Streets and a good sense of community. Harleysville, Perkasie, Lansdale, Hatfield, Sellersville... all good towns close to Souderton.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,815 times
Thank you Blinx! That really helps! I

Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 AM

221 posts, read 399,988 times
If you're working in Souderton I'd really recommend living in Harleysville. It's in the same school district (Souderton Area School District), is a little more spread out with newer housing options, and has a very active community with a lot of families (community pool, little league, community fair every spring). There is also a great park system that's all connected by bike/walking paths. In Harleysville you're about 5 minutes from the Lansdale exit of the turnpike which makes it convenient for traveling to shopping/dining in Plymouth Meeting or Philly.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:20 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
I agree with Snwm5.
I am not sure about living cost.
I assume that you guys plan to rent first as you come here, right?
When I first moved to PA 3 years ago, I stayed in Lansdale. Two bedroom apartment is around $1,000. A very good internet source, which not alot of people know is padmapper.com.
You can actually view all the listings; both rental and to own in an area you want to reside, collectively from other sites. It is similar to indeed.com for job.

Souderton itself is a quiet, nice area. Very low in crime. Very close to rural area. but not too far away from the city of Philly. In fact I believe it is almost the same amount of time you spend to drive from there to NYC. (Correct me if I am wrong on this since I always take train to Manhattan from Philly, but my colleagues at work in Colmar told me so)

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia