Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 931 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a possible job opening in Franklin Lakes, NJ. My wife is currently working in Ardmore, PA. Is it any way possible for us to find a place to live somewhere half-way between the two cities where the commute would simply just not drive us crazy?

Google maps tells me that there could be a few places (eg Bridgewater, NJ) which would make this a 1-hour drive for both of us. Thats about the absolute max that we'd be willing to drive to work. I can't tell if traffic makes this commute far longer than that though. We'd be looking to buy a house, and have a kid who starts school soon.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 09:40 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallverysmall View Post
I am looking at a possible job opening in Franklin Lakes, NJ. My wife is currently working in Ardmore, PA. Is it any way possible for us to find a place to live somewhere half-way between the two cities where the commute would simply just not drive us crazy?

Google maps tells me that there could be a few places (eg Bridgewater, NJ) which would make this a 1-hour drive for both of us. Thats about the absolute max that we'd be willing to drive to work. I can't tell if traffic makes this commute far longer than that though. We'd be looking to buy a house, and have a kid who starts school soon.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Summary: don't do it!!

I live in Mt Airy, and my parents used to live in Franklin Lakes. Over the years I've driven there many times. I'm not the type of person who likes repetition, so over time I'm certain I've taken every conceivable (and some inconceivable) routes to FLks. Whenever I made the return trip to Philly during rush hour the traffic was awful - on I287, US206, US202, the GSPkwy and the NJ Tpk. What could be done in 1:45 in early morning weekend traffic became 2:30 or more. Yes, Google Maps can tell you 1 hr from Bridgewater, but I guarantee you that during rush hour (which is a wide swath of time in that area) it's rarely going to be an hour, esp'ly going from Ardmore. Ask yourselves whether [a] you want to spend a minimum of 2 hours every day in traffic and [b] whether you can handle the variation in driving time (i.e., 2 hours some days, 3 hours other days).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia