Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:56 AM

76 posts, read 203,481 times

Advertisements

What are the major roads that separate "good" parts of Delaware County from "less desirable" parts? I got into an interesting debate with an old acquaintance the other day and I'm interested to know what the general consensus is. For example is Baltimore Pike a major dividing line? Chester Pike? 420?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 03:21 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
I would say overall no.. Pretty much all of Chester Pike is in less than desirable areas. Baltimore Pike doesn't get bad for a while on either side and then becomes universally bad on all sides. 420 may be the closest to that idea, because once you get out of Swarthmore and Rutledge and enter Morton and Holmes it starts to decline, and everything east of that as you get closer to the city gets sketchy.

I find the good and bad more separated by township borders. More obvious, but you know right away when you leave Swarthmore and enter Woodlyn or Morton. Or leave Aston and enter Chester township.. or leave Springfield and enter Clifton Heights, a somewhat dramatic change within a mile to two.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:23 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I would say overall no.. Pretty much all of Chester Pike is in less than desirable areas. Baltimore Pike doesn't get bad for a while on either side and then becomes universally bad on all sides. 420 may be the closest to that idea, because once you get out of Swarthmore and Rutledge and enter Morton and Holmes it starts to decline, and everything east of that as you get closer to the city gets sketchy.

I find the good and bad more separated by township borders. More obvious, but you know right away when you leave Swarthmore and enter Woodlyn or Morton. Or leave Aston and enter Chester township.. or leave Springfield and enter Clifton Heights, a somewhat dramatic change within a mile to two.
i don't find much of a difference between aston and chester. aston is a dump.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:42 PM

I'm definitely not a fan of Aston, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a dump. I will say that all of the houses you see for sale in Aston are overpriced, newer construction homes that are poorly built and really lack character.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
If Aston is a dump, then Chester is absolutely deplorable and devastating on every level...Aston isn't fancy, but it is a nice town for middle class families.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:18 AM

I always heard that Baltimore pike (especially around the intersection of Baltimore pike and bishop road) kind of separated the good side from the "wrong side of the tracks" ... Was just interested to find out if anyone else ever heard of that.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCdelco View Post
I always heard that Baltimore pike (especially around the intersection of Baltimore pike and bishop road) kind of separated the good side from the "wrong side of the tracks" ... Was just interested to find out if anyone else ever heard of that.
I have heard that.. because you are leaving Springfield and entering Primos, Clifton, Secane...which aren't bad, they're just eh, and go downhill the further east you go.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:20 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,109 times
aston is far from a dump

Old 11-13-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
aston is far from a dump
That poster just likes to disagree with everything I say.., any person who is familiar with Delaware County knows that Aston is a perfectly fine town and great for families.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-15-2013 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: removed rude comment

Old 11-14-2013, 06:33 PM

132 posts, read 294,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I live in Media and I love Aston's charm. It is very safe and as other posters have mentioned great for families.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-15-2013 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: removed insult
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia