Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 05:00 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,513,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I think you would REALLY like Manayunk. I think you should look there. It's in your budget, has public transit to Center City and plenty of taxis and has a great bar/nightlife scene along Main Street.
Yes, Manayunk is one of the main areas I've been looking. That and Ardmore are my top 2 picks. I'll be down there first week of December for my first week of work and my friend in Manayunk is going to put me up for a few days. That way I can get the vibe, take the train, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 05:02 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,651,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Yes, Manayunk is one of the main areas I've been looking. That and Armore are my top 2 picks. I'll be down there first week of December for my first week of work and my friend in Manayunk is going to put me up for a few days. That way I can get the vibe, take the train, etc
Manayunk has a much more active nightlife scene and is a denser area, but I think you'll really like it. If you ask me, you might as well live in the city if you are working in the city. It only makes sense since you'll be paying the city wage tax either way.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Manayunk has a much more active nightlife scene and is a denser area, but I think you'll really like it. If you ask me, you might as well live in the city if you are working in the city. It only makes sense since you'll be paying the city wage tax either way.
Yeah that's what I've gathered thus far Another one of my friends that works for the same firm lives in Manayunk as well and he highly recommends it. I'm looking forward to getting down there and exploring the neighborhoods. The moving part sucks, but I'm excited to eventually be settled down there

Old 11-15-2013, 05:51 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,651,373 times
Quote:
Yeah that's what I've gathered thus far Another one of my friends that works for the same firm lives in Manayunk as well and he highly recommends it. I'm looking forward to getting down there and exploring the neighborhoods. The moving part sucks, but I'm excited to eventually be settled down there
Well hopefully you find a great apartment the first time around so you can stay there a few years and won't have to deal with moving again for a while

Old 11-16-2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Well hopefully you find a great apartment the first time around so you can stay there a few years and won't have to deal with moving again for a while
I am hoping that works out too, I absolutely hate moving. But I tend to go where the wind takes me and have moved 5 times in the past 4.5 years lol

Old 11-17-2013, 06:50 AM

127 posts, read 293,557 times
Quote:
Or if you're already paying wage tax, you might as well reduce it if you can by living outside city limits. That's why we originally lived just outside Chestnut Hill and then skipped over Mt. Airy/Manayunk for Ardmore. Narberth, Suburban Square, Haverford, and Bryn Mawr have plenty to offer and are quick rides into the city. 18 minutes from Ardmore Station to 30th isn't bad. Parking in Manayunk's a ***** and a half, as are the hills, especially come snow.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:18 PM

Well looks like I've at least narrowed down neighborhoods, now I'm just keeping my eyes peeled on Craigslist. It's hard because I'm not moving for another month and a half. I'd love to check out some places when I'm there first week in Dec. I don't think I will be coming down again after that before the move, so hopefully I can have my friends scope out places for me in the meantime.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:09 AM

What's the deal with W Mt. Airy? I found some decent places there but my friends are telling me absolutely don't look in that area.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:14 AM

10,223 posts, read 16,775,275 times
Quote:
What's the deal with W Mt. Airy? I found some decent places there but my friends are telling me absolutely don't look in that area.
it's a beautiful area adjacent to one of the region's best parks. it's a bit sleepy I suppose but there's train service to center city as well as a couple of bus lines.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:39 AM

127 posts, read 293,557 times
Your friends are disillusioned. W. Mt. Airy is very nice, has some things to do, but may require a bit of travel just up or down germantown ave./pike. There's plenty of greenery and you may have the option of taking either the Chestnut Hill West or East lines, depending on location, which is nice when you miss one and you can make the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia