Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:35 PM

6 posts, read 9,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntNik View Post
Our "town" hunt continues. We haven't even gotten to the house hunt yet. I am really thinking that Wallingford-Swarthmore is really the best area for us. I see that Swarthmore, Wallingford, Rutledge and Nether Provindence all feed into their middle school and high school. We really want this to be our last move until the kids are done with school (both elementary schoolers now).

Can I get some feedback on the differences between these three small communities?

Thanks!!
Not mentioned in the other replies is that Swarthmore actually has a town center (ok not quite like Media )whereas the other 3 towns do not. Many of my children's friends outside Swarthmore but in the wssd district definitely miss this. The walkability factor (from sidewalks) is very high in Swarthmore. This and the general transit oriented deign (TOD) of Swarthmore makes it a top pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,353 times
I grew up in Swarthmore, with friends in Wallingford & Rutledge. Swarthmore is your typical old-school college town, with old-growth trees and big old Victorians. I didn't find it snobby, in the Main-Line sense, but there is definitely a sense of "us" among its wealthy and upper middle-class professionals. It's very walkable, with lots of charm and a real downtown. The fact that they banned movie theaters and gas stations back in the 1930s and won in court when it was challenged has kept it very, very residential. Swarthmore College and in particular the Crum Creek Valley (owned in considerable part by the College, IIRC) are great places to walk and feel closer to nature. A great place to grow up, really.

Wallingford and Rutledge are nice, but there's a different vibe to them. Most of their houses were built after cars became common, and so they're much more typical suburbs-- less charming (sorry, but it's true), less walkable, more car-oriented. The people who live there are nice; I went to Strath Haven with many of them. The house prices and taxes are lower, but in my opinion not enough lower to justify choosing them over Swarthmore.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,989,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquarian View Post
I grew up in Swarthmore, with friends in Wallingford & Rutledge. Swarthmore is your typical old-school college town, with old-growth trees and big old Victorians. I didn't find it snobby, in the Main-Line sense,but there is definitely a sense of "us" among its wealthy and upper middle-class professionals. It's very walkable, with lots of charm and a real downtown. The fact that they banned movie theaters and gas stations back in the 1930s and won in court when it was challenged has kept it very, very residential. Swarthmore College and in particular the Crum Creek Valley (owned in considerable part by the College, IIRC) are great places to walk and feel closer to nature. A great place to grow up, really.

Wallingford and Rutledge are nice, but there's a different vibe to them. Most of their houses were built after cars became common, and so they're much more typical suburbs-- less charming (sorry, but it's true), less walkable, more car-oriented. The people who live there are nice; I went to Strath Haven with many of them. The house prices and taxes are lower, but in my opinion not enough lower to justify choosing them over Swarthmore.

10chars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia