Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 8,931 times

Advertisements

Looking to take a job in Allentown while my wife works in Wilmington, DE. It looks like we cut the commute roughly in half if we settle in Norristown or Plymouth Meeting, where google says I can get to Allentown in about an hour on 476. Is that realistic if I can adjust my schedule to avoid traffic? Am I being too optimistic? I've looked at taking 29 or 309 up but they seem worse than 476. Thoughts?

I've seen seen threads here before asking about center city to allentown and people usually advise against it; would it be more realistic if I could skip the traffic inside Philly and be right by 476 from the start? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:35 PM

182 posts, read 377,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardMNixon View Post
Looking to take a job in Allentown while my wife works in Wilmington, DE. It looks like we cut the commute roughly in half if we settle in Norristown or Plymouth Meeting, where google says I can get to Allentown in about an hour on 476. Is that realistic if I can adjust my schedule to avoid traffic? Am I being too optimistic? I've looked at taking 29 or 309 up but they seem worse than 476. Thoughts?

I've seen seen threads here before asking about center city to allentown and people usually advise against it; would it be more realistic if I could skip the traffic inside Philly and be right by 476 from the start? Thanks!
Are you trying to go to Allentown from Wilmington? If so, then going from 76 to 95 is fine because it does not start to get packed until you get to that little extension in Center City.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=truli...ed=0CAoQ_AUoAg

Norristown to Allentown
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=truli...ed=0CAoQ_AUoAg

So yeah, there you go! 76 is fine! So yes, get by 476 in the first place, not 76. Get it?

Old 12-29-2013, 07:36 PM

130 posts, read 310,413 times
Definitely a good choice to be that near 476. Most days you should be fine. There are accidents periodically and traffic problems. Plus, 476 has a major widening project going on. But given the locations of your jobs it sounds like a pretty good option.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:25 AM

7 posts, read 10,611 times
Yes, that's a good plan. There normally isn't too much traffic up the northeast extension. Trust me, you do not want to take 309 up to Allentown. Plymouth Meeting would be a good choice for you.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:42 AM

Good to know, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatdoesthefoxsay65 View Post
Are you trying to go to Allentown from Wilmington?
Nah, one of us will go from X to Allentown and one of us will go from X to Wilmington, just wanted to make sure there's an X that wouldn't make us both miserable.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:57 PM

36 posts, read 112,997 times
I'll preface by saying this is coming from a Delaware County perspective... I'm not sure how you'll fair farther north up the Blue route...

but in my opinion 476 MIGHT be a decent choice, at least for mornings if you leave early enough, but it jams up every single day in both directions during rush hour and I think it's particularly bad for afternoon commutes. It is always really bad through Swarthmore where it narrows to 2 lanes, which is going to be pretty unavoidable if Delaware is one of the destinations... I know things typically start to get rough around the Villanova exit that time of day.

perhaps a back way using 202 might be a decent option? not sure what that would look like during commutes though...

Old 12-30-2013, 01:37 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,199 times
The Wilmington commute will be much worse than the Allentown commute. The "Blue Route" (476 south of the PA Turnpike) is horrible, as is I-95. Going north on 476 to Allentown shouldn't be too bad, although you do hear about accidents in that stretch frequently. Plymouth Meeting is about as good an option as you're going to get, in any event.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:32 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Having lived in most of the areas you are talking about, I agree with the posters that your wife's commute to Wilmington is going to be much worse than yours to Allentown. My husband worked in King of Prussia and commuted to where we lived on the state line of DE (in PA) for several years. He absolutely hated it. There are many places along the roads that just clump up with traffic.

My husband next got a job off of the Quakertown exit and commuted from our Delaware county home up the Northeast Extension until we sold our house (that took about a year) and hated that as well. We've lived in the Lehigh Valley for 17+ years and the problem you will have on our section of the turnpike is the construction and weather. It's usually colder and snowier up here. I think they are not anticipating finishing the turnpike roadwork for another TWO years. Northeast Extension Widening Final Plans Shown at Open House - Government - Montgomeryville-Lansdale, PA Patch

And after all that negative talk, you have decided on the best possible compromise for both of you. Good luck with your move and travels.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:09 PM

Thanks again, all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab13 View Post
perhaps a back way using 202 might be a decent option? not sure what that would look like during commutes though...
We've looked in Phoenixville as well and found some homes there we really like, so 202 would be a workable option in that case.

From Phoenixville though I'd be more likely to go north on 100. I realize it won't be as much of a freeway as 476, but is it tolerable or really badly congested?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Rt 100 will not be crowded or congested for the most part, but it's an old road and you can get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle for a long stretch. On snowy days it will not be as well maintained at the the turnpike. I wouldn't bother with 100, I'd make your way to 663 and then take the turnpike for the last leg between Quakertown and Allentown. Your wife's commute would be better than your original choices.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia