U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2014, 01:04 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,098 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Trust me. I couldn't agree more with the fact that this is an unfriendly city. I've been here since 1995 and the people here have been vile since day one. No one really talks to each other here unless they have known each other forever. If you say HI to somebody around here, they give you this weird look like you're from another planet. In my case, being a black male, most people look at me like I'm going to rob them or something.
I'm originally from Millville NJ. Being that it is a small town, people are a lot friendlier. People down there will speak to you and actually hold a conversation. People up here are just so busy with their own lives and stuck in their routines that they don't give a second thought about being friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 AM
 
268 posts, read 291,444 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
People up here are just so busy with their own lives
That might be telling, as far as "friendliness" anywhere goes. If I'm busy with something, the last thing I want to do is stop and talk with somebody. Most days, I'm busy with something.

I think back to the last time we were in Philly (last year) and we ate at the Midtown Diner (I think that's what it's called, near city center) and the waitress was really friendly; she was older and she was telling us what her upbringing was like (hard/poor), what she thought of kids today (not much), and love and life in general. She was a riot.

Same thing thing with a pub where we stopped in. It was a slow day (Monday) and early, so there was only one other couple there, so the young lady waiting on us struck up a conversation because she was bored. She wasn't nearly as animated as the waitress at the diner, but she was still pretty nice.

We've always had good luck like that, I guess. I think there are jerks and nice people in every region/city, so that makes it really hard to identify an area as overly-friendly or overly-unfriendly. It's all in who you encounter on any given day.

And don't forget the old saying, "If you meet an a-hole in the morning, they're an a-hole. If you meet a-holes all day, you're the a-hole."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,831 posts, read 9,861,862 times
Reputation: 7983
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryOn View Post
That might be telling, as far as "friendliness" anywhere goes. If I'm busy with something, the last thing I want to do is stop and talk with somebody. Most days, I'm busy with something.

I think back to the last time we were in Philly (last year) and we ate at the Midtown Diner (I think that's what it's called, near city center) and the waitress was really friendly; she was older and she was telling us what her upbringing was like (hard/poor), what she thought of kids today (not much), and love and life in general. She was a riot.

Same thing thing with a pub where we stopped in. It was a slow day (Monday) and early, so there was only one other couple there, so the young lady waiting on us struck up a conversation because she was bored. She wasn't nearly as animated as the waitress at the diner, but she was still pretty nice.

We've always had good luck like that, I guess. I think there are jerks and nice people in every region/city, so that makes it really hard to identify an area as overly-friendly or overly-unfriendly. It's all in who you encounter on any given day.

And don't forget the old saying, "If you meet an a-hole in the morning, they're an a-hole. If you meet a-holes all day, you're the a-hole."
Haha great post and love the last quote-how true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 01:33 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 48,503,580 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdygeek View Post
Trust me. I couldn't agree more with the fact that this is an unfriendly city. I've been here since 1995 and the people here have been vile since day one. No one really talks to each other here unless they have known each other forever. If you say HI to somebody around here, they give you this weird look like you're from another planet. In my case, being a black male, most people look at me like I'm going to rob them or something.
I'm originally from Millville NJ. Being that it is a small town, people are a lot friendlier. People down there will speak to you and actually hold a conversation. People up here are just so busy with their own lives and stuck in their routines that they don't give a second thought about being friendly.

Well it's not really that common to speak to people on the street who you don't know. I think you would get weird looks in any city if you did that. And it's so uncommon that as a guy if I was walking down the street and a woman spoke to me I would think the person is a transsexual and if it was a guy speaking to me I would think he is gay. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 01:41 PM
 
1,073 posts, read 1,802,256 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Well it's not really that common to speak to people on the street who you don't know. I think you would get weird looks in any city if you did that. And it's so uncommon that as a guy if I was walking down the street and a woman spoke to me I would think the person is a transsexual and if it was a guy speaking to me I would think he is gay. lol
Especially if you happen to be walking on 13th street . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 03:41 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 48,503,580 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Especially if you happen to be walking on 13th street . . . .

I don't think it would have to be 13th street for me to feel that way. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 PM
 
8 posts, read 9,236 times
Reputation: 14
Hey, I go through the same thing, I been down here for 5 months and at my job, they talk about me, stare at me, roll their eyes. I am quiet and when i try and be cordial it is the stand offish thing.. so i wear shades and stay away..God bless those that arent insecure and miserable.. Let me go to a salon with my natural hair, my God, the rudeness, I have to wait 2-4 hours and wind up leaving. Most are very childish and immature even some of the older ones. Oh my let you have a man and he go somewhere with you, they will check you out and try and get him to stare at them. Sadly Pathetic and Extra Dry Mouth Thirsty. Now I have rode the train and twice 2 women in front turn around and oggle like I was a piece of meat.. So I am in the same boat as you, but all they are saying is that you are a threat to them and they aren't comfortable in their own skin. I would like to be your buddy since we are going through the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 PM
 
8 posts, read 9,236 times
Reputation: 14
I agree. No offense to anyone, but to me, in some churches there is most drama. The gossip, the competition, etc... I don't like drama, as it is too draining. Lots of luck to you guys. In the suburbs is better luck for me or just out of the city of philly unless you want to adapt to most childlike mentality, which is not advised. and again no offense to anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 PM
 
16 posts, read 15,429 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Especially if you happen to be walking on 13th street . . . .
yes only gay people hang out on 13th st...what ia this 1982?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 48,503,580 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedintheusa1 View Post
yes only gay people hang out on 13th st...what ia this 1982?

The point was it's a higher chance of a guy getting approached by a gay guy on 13th street since that is the area they are seen the most
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top