U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:05 PM

9,833 posts, read 13,707,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
The point was it's a higher chance of a guy getting approached by a gay guy on 13th street since that is the area they are seen the most
I lived off 13th st for 7 years, I'm not gay nor was i ever hit on by one randomly. I suspect you people havent been there in 30 years. gays are now allowed all over the region
The success of Philadelphia's Gayborhood may be its undoing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 03:26 PM

103 posts, read 101,059 times
I grew up here and have lived here up to currently with the exception of several years in other places. The Philly area is very unfiriendly. Other places in PA where I've lived are also unfriendly, just not as bad. I have lived in my house in Warminster, Bucks County PA since 1997 and I have not been able to make one friend in my neighborhood. Lord knows I have tried. I was able to get one lady to serve as a reference for me. She is a nice person and obviously is willing to help me but she is not really a friend. Beauty culture student, if you want to chat, I am here. I AM a friendly person, NOT fitting into Philly either and never will. I am planning to move South or West very soon.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:44 PM

8 posts, read 9,412 times
Default Majority of Philly Female Rudeness

I have moved from Ny to here and I have the rudeness the stares, the can't look at you to speak, the rolling of the eyes, and the unnecessary competition. when you try to be cordial to some, they want to talk about you to boost their own miserable confidence, so you are not alone..

Old 01-22-2014, 11:06 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,294,126 times
Ugh! What is with all these threads about depressing unfriendly Philadelphia?

I've yet to visit a place where I couldn't find any friendly people and that certainly includes Philly. In fact I sometimes find Philly to be too friendly. I'm not much of a morning person and so when I walk to work in the morning I don't really enjoy talking to people and yet people are always trying to engage me in conversation.

If everyone you meet is unfriendly perhaps you shouldn't assume the problem lies with all the different people you meet. Maybe you're just unlikable.

Not being unfriendly. Just telling it to you straight, like a real friend would.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 AM

268 posts, read 294,521 times
Quote:
If everyone you meet is unfriendly perhaps you shouldn't assume the problem lies with all the different people you meet.
BAM! I'm with you.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:06 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,082,634 times
You need to move to Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas or Houston

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 01-23-2014 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-23-2014, 08:36 AM

5,191 posts, read 5,091,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post

I've yet to visit a place where I couldn't find any friendly people and that certainly includes Philly. In fact I sometimes find Philly to be too friendly. I'm not much of a morning person and so when I walk to work in the morning I don't really enjoy talking to people and yet people are always trying to engage me in conversation.

If everyone you meet is unfriendly perhaps you shouldn't assume the problem lies with all the different people you meet. Maybe you're just unlikable.

Not being unfriendly. Just telling it to you straight, like a real friend would.
Yeah, but if that's really true and accepted, miserable people won't be able to complain anymore.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:54 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,294,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Yeah, but if that's really true and accepted, miserable people won't be able to complain anymore.
Haha I don't really mind if people complain, I just wish they'd complain about the right things. I know it's harder for some people to make friends. I'm not even saying it's entirely their own fault. It's just to blame it on a physical location is so pointless.

6 million people live here. They come from every corner of America and every region of the world. To claim as though simply by physically relocating to Philadelphia they've suddenly all become unfriendly is absurd. The people who claim Philadelphians are unfriendly are now here and technically Philadelphians, does that mean that they themselves are now unfriendly as well? If nothing else couldn't they find other people new to Philadelphia and make friends with them?

If people really think they'll suddenly start making friends if they move to Dallas they're deluding themselves. They'll make friends when they change their demeanor and attitude and become a person that people would actually want to be friends with. I'd start by no longer walking around feeling "This place sucks, no one wants to be friends with me, I'm so great and everyone here is so awful." Having that attitude seems like the surest way in the world to never make a friend no matter where you live.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:52 AM

5,191 posts, read 5,091,648 times
Quote:
Haha I don't really mind if people complain, I just wish they'd complain about the right things. I know it's harder for some people to make friends. I'm not even saying it's entirely their own fault. It's just to blame it on a physical location is so pointless.

6 million people live here. They come from every corner of America and every region of the world. To claim as though simply by physically relocating to Philadelphia they've suddenly all become unfriendly is absurd. The people who claim Philadelphians are unfriendly are now here and technically Philadelphians, does that mean that they themselves are now unfriendly as well? If nothing else couldn't they find other people new to Philadelphia and make friends with them?

If people really think they'll suddenly start making friends if they move to Dallas they're deluding themselves. They'll make friends when they change their demeanor and attitude and become a person that people would actually want to be friends with. I'd start by no longer walking around feeling "This place sucks, no one wants to be friends with me, I'm so great and everyone here is so awful." Having that attitude seems like the surest way in the world to never make a friend no matter where you live.
Fully agree with this. At the end of the day, the bold is what I was referring to. It's easy to feel like the world (or part of it) is out to get you when you have a few instances in a row pile up. However, those who cannot see the bold will construct a self-fulfilling prophecy. Complaining is only productive for a very short period of time, and behind closed doors; once its seeps out to the rest of the world, you become the obstacle.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:00 PM

8 posts, read 9,412 times
Default I disagree-I have a bright aura that negative folks Know

Quote:

It isn't me, Ignorance is Bliss. I have had more Caucasian people more friendlier than the African Americans.. Like I said I am from Ny with over 840 friends on facebook and I have been places in Ny, the hood etc. and I have been well liked... how about go to a salon in philly on more than one occasion, with a lot of made up women or women who are not comfy with themselves and get eyes rolling extra stares etc and resulting in me walking out, how about when a woman sees me, they must play in their hair or get up to shake their booty to show me they are competition when I am not at all competetive... how about just be at work and you have African American or Spanish women just look away from you when you are speaking being cordial, or have women check your body out and roll their eyes.. how about you sit in your chair mind your business and still have people walk by and say mean things about you... I have been all over this world and I have never in my years experienced discrimination only from darker skinned-or thin women,or heavy set women or women who are made up with weaves down their backs because I am a natural woman who is comfy with herself, let alone has intuitive abilities that can sense negative people without even trying to. So I know for sure it is not me, I have met many people in walks of life,just in the streets come up and converse with me as well as at work, but certain minority folks see me as a threat and I do not know why. I will not get in cliques to define who I am, nor will I hate on another woman whether stunning or not.... When you are comfy with you, that's a problem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or