Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 05:44 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times

Advertisements

It was said business was bad and they moved which is odd since all the other places are still open in the food court like Subway and Chipotle. Also found out famous daves in South Philly closed down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 01:38 AM

385 posts, read 400,504 times
Ain't no way business was bad. THat place was still always packed during the pandemic. Maybe the rent got too high in Liberty Place or the owner probably did not want to renew their lease or some stuff.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:12 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,809 times
I work near there, but haven't stepped foot in the area since March of last year, and I'm not the only one. No doubt, Wolf and Kenney's destruction of small businesses, and the riots that were allowed to devastate that part of the city didn't help either.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:54 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Where did they move and when?

Old 04-06-2021, 07:59 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Where did they move and when?
It wasnt mentioned where they moved too but they left two weeks ago. I still see Subway and Chipotle inside there making money

Old 04-06-2021, 09:12 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
I am sure their sales were down overall because the weekly office crowd has not returned... but it was still popular and always had people in line.

My guess is the rent was too high. No other explanation and Liberty was not willing to lower it even with the pandemic.

Just another example of high rents driving out business on Chestnut and Walnut. Because lately especially on the weekends, that part of Center City is booming with foot traffic and people. No reason it would of closed other than the high rents... just like 75% of the businesses that have closed on Chestnut and Walnut the past two years.

That is a loss for Center City.... and as I said a while ago. The inexpensive food options are definitely disappearing from Center City.

Not that I eat Chick Fil A on a weekly basis... but it was always a nice option to have for a quick, inexpensive and tasty lunch for like $8.....

That one pizza place by Cava closed next too Liberty...

Old 04-06-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I am sure their sales were down overall because the weekly office crowd has not returned... but it was still popular and always had people in line.

My guess is the rent was too high. No other explanation and Liberty was not willing to lower it even with the pandemic.

Just another example of high rents driving out business on Chestnut and Walnut. Because lately especially on the weekends, that part of Center City is booming with foot traffic and people. No reason it would of closed other than the high rents... just like 75% of the businesses that have closed on Chestnut and Walnut the past two years.

That is a loss for Center City.... and as I said a while ago. The inexpensive food options are definitely disappearing from Center City.

Not that I eat Chick Fil A on a weekly basis... but it was always a nice option to have for a quick, inexpensive and tasty lunch for like $8.....

That one pizza place by Cava closed next too Liberty...
I agree. Even if business was down Chic Fil A doesn't just close, it had to be some sort of rent issue or landlord issue, but yea it is a shame. I don't really eat Chic Fil a either, but its a solid on the go fast-food place, one less option along a corridor that has been ruined commercially.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:02 PM

444 posts, read 413,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree. Even if business was down Chic Fil A doesn't just close, it had to be some sort of rent issue or landlord issue, but yea it is a shame. I don't really eat Chic Fil a either, but its a solid on the go fast-food place, one less option along a corridor that has been ruined commercially.
Chestnut and Walnut street have been absolutely booming the past few weekends in the warm weather. I don't really see that either corridor has been "ruined" commercially. And if anything, this will cause rents to lower somewhat, which will mean we'll get a new opportunity for small and startup businesses to locate here. I'm not trying to downplay what happened during the pandemic and with the summer unrest. It sucked. But I just don't see anything but a positive outlook in the near future.

Old 04-06-2021, 02:22 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
Chestnut and Walnut street have been absolutely booming the past few weekends in the warm weather. I don't really see that either corridor has been "ruined" commercially. And if anything, this will cause rents to lower somewhat, which will mean we'll get a new opportunity for small and startup businesses to locate here. I'm not trying to downplay what happened during the pandemic and with the summer unrest. It sucked. But I just don't see anything but a positive outlook in the near future.

Yes, I agree foot traffic has been booming..

I guess my point is though. Half of the closures on Chestnut and Walnut occurred Pre Covid.

For example. Zara. That store was ALWAYS packed 7 days a week. And it closed down Pre Covid. Because of greedy landlords.

That is just one example.

When Cole Haan closed I was shocked.. because that was another store that was always packed.

The rents on Walnut and Chestnut are higher than King of Prussia.

So retailers financially find it just doesn't make sense to operate a store because the stores margins are very small, and the sales do not justify such high rents.

If the rents were 30% lower say similar to KOP rents, resulting in the margins being higher.. I doubt you would of seen over half of the number of retailers close over the past two years in Center City.

If all those big name retailers left over the past two years who do you think is going to fill them? Boutiques surely cannot pay those rents. The shocking part is the foot traffic is present. I do not see a resurgence to be honest for at least two years.

I mean the Chick Fil A just closed because of rents and that place was also always busy and it stayed busy during covid....

If stores from American Eagle, Gap, Under Armour, Cole Haan, Zara, Ann Taylor cannot survive due to the high rents and slim margins... and these are all mid level retailers. What do we expect to fill their place???

Old 04-06-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
Booming with foot traffic, I'm sure, they're always busy streets, but I stand by ruined commercially. Vacancy rates nearing 40%, a large chunk of current retailers are banks and cell phone stores, and the amount of closures from before Covid thru 2021 is astounding.

And if rents haven't lowered by now, they aren't going to, unless the city really steps in, which is a dream.

Of course I share the sentiment of wanting growth and rebirth (I do expect that to some extent), but its still a long way to go. I see the restaurant scene entering a new renaissance for sure though.

And as Rowhomecity said, a good chunk of the issue (even pre-Covid) is unreasonable rents, Walnut/Chestnut cannot sustain that, especially when the same retailer can operate in KoP or Cherry Hill for half the price with twice the revenue. KoP seems to add a new store each week. A shame we don't have city government that can step in and at least attempt to alleviate the problem.

Last edited by cpomp; 04-06-2021 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia