Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:00 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,505,285 times

Advertisements

Have any of you tried to move a larger bed into a row home with narrow/spiral stairs? I purchased a new queen size mattress with split box spring. The box springs got up with no problems but after 45min, the guys couldn't get the mattress up the stairs. I really don't want a full size since one of the reasons I got rid of it was because it was too small. I'm having a hard time justifying paying a lot of money for a size bed that I do not want. Are full sizes just the norm for these hard-to-maneuver houses/stairs? I've been sleeping on my couch since I've been bed-less since I got here, I am at my wits end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 07:29 PM

225 posts, read 393,339 times
Remember me?

Remember this?

"Only thing we couldn't move up was a twin boxspring, not quite sure how I'm going to get it upstairs. I'll be going to buy a new queen mattress set this weekend - plan on getting a split boxspring and I will have them deliver so I don't have to deal with it. "

Welcome to Philly.

I'll offer a word of advice. We learned this hard way. Save yourself some grief and get one of those foam type mattresses. They are much easier to maneuver since they have so much more give than a conventional mattress. They are also every bit if not more comfortable also.

Still stands.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattusbabe View Post
Remember me?

Remember this?

"Only thing we couldn't move up was a twin boxspring, not quite sure how I'm going to get it upstairs. I'll be going to buy a new queen mattress set this weekend - plan on getting a split boxspring and I will have them deliver so I don't have to deal with it. "

Welcome to Philly.

I'll offer a word of advice. We learned this hard way. Save yourself some grief and get one of those foam type mattresses. They are much easier to maneuver since they have so much more give than a conventional mattress. They are also every bit if not more comfortable also.

Still stands.
Ha, I completely forgot about that post! Thanks! I thought for sure it would fit with some bending, but apparently the type of mattress I picked was less "bendy" than some of the other conventional ones.

I have mixed feelings about foam mattresses. A previous boyfriend had one and I slept so awful on it. I've heard that they do take some getting used to, maybe if I give it some more time? I didn't even look at foam ones because of my past experience.

The delivery guys gave me suggestions of brands that are more "bendy" but they seem to be poorer quality. So it sounds like my options are to get a full size, get a crappy queen, or get a foam queen?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:52 PM

434 posts, read 1,308,537 times
You might want to try IKEA. They have quite a few nice memory foam and latex mattress options. Often they're neatly rolled up and easy to move up tight stairways. They also have a 90 day mattress "Love it or Exchange it" return policy, which you can read about on their web site. Good luck!

Old 01-08-2014, 05:40 AM

364 posts, read 729,547 times
I agree, the foam IKEA mattresses are nice. They're packed in vacuum-sealed tubes making them easy to move.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:46 AM

Alright so Ikea may be an option since they're rolled. Any pros/cons/etc? There's an Ikea up in Conshohocken that I may check out this weekend. Still need to wait to hear from the store when the guy gets in this morning to see what my options are. But if I'm not able to get the nice queen that I want, an Ikea queen in the meantime may be a good compromise.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:52 AM

225 posts, read 393,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Ha, I completely forgot about that post! Thanks! I thought for sure it would fit with some bending, but apparently the type of mattress I picked was less "bendy" than some of the other conventional ones.

I have mixed feelings about foam mattresses. A previous boyfriend had one and I slept so awful on it. I've heard that they do take some getting used to, maybe if I give it some more time? I didn't even look at foam ones because of my past experience.

The delivery guys gave me suggestions of brands that are more "bendy" but they seem to be poorer quality. So it sounds like my options are to get a full size, get a crappy queen, or get a foam queen?
We had the same attitudes re. the foam mattress as you did. We needed a king and we bought a top of the line Sterns and Foster. Same problem you had. Two piece box springs made it, the mattress did not. ( We have a large twin home with a winding center stair well in front and a straight stair well in back. No dice either way. So the mattress went back to the store.)

We tried out several foam mattress. Temper Pedic and the ones made by Sealy.
They come in various levels of firmness so we tried each one out until we found the one that worked for us. We ended up with the Sealy product and could not be happier. Great nights sleep. Had no problem getting the king sized foam in the house and upstairs. I also like the fact that bed bugs are not an issue with foam mattresses also.
Can't advise personally re, the Ikea products but do give them a try also.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattusbabe View Post
We had the same attitudes re. the foam mattress as you did. We needed a king and we bought a top of the line Sterns and Foster. Same problem you had. Two piece box springs made it, the mattress did not. ( We have a large twin home with a winding center stair well in front and a straight stair well in back. No dice either way. So the mattress went back to the store.)

We tried out several foam mattress. Temper Pedic and the ones made by Sealy.
They come in various levels of firmness so we tried each one out until we found the one that worked for us. We ended up with the Sealy product and could not be happier. Great nights sleep. Had no problem getting the king sized foam in the house and upstairs. I also like the fact that bed bugs are not an issue with foam mattresses also.
Can't advise personally re, the Ikea products but do give them a try also.
Thanks for the insight!

I just talked to the store and it sounds like my only options with them is either get a queen foam or get a full size. If I got a mattress that is more "bendy" the quality would go way down. I'll be stopping by the store tonight to try out the foam mattresses. But if I really don't like them, I'm not going to buy one.

The mattress I had picked was a Beautyrest firm pillow top. I kept going back and forth between the firms and the pillow tops, and the guy saw I couldn't decide between the two. Only a handful of companies make the firm pillow tops as it is. When I laid on that one, I instantly knew that's what I wanted. So if the foam mattresses have something comparable in between firm and pillow top, that may be doable.

I never realized purchasing a mattress would be such a disaster

Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 AM

154 posts, read 321,455 times
Can you take a window out? not open it, remove the top and bottom pieces leaving only the frame in place. That's how we did back in "the day" before these newfangled space aged materials.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padugan View Post
Can you take a window out? not open it, remove the top and bottom pieces leaving only the frame in place. That's how we did back in "the day" before these newfangled space aged materials.
The windows are small and I don't think a queen would get through them, but I can measure. If anything, I can get the twin box spring up that way since it won't fit up the stairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia