Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:39 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
To whom? Skyscraper fetishists and other insular wierdos? Why is 1,000 ft more impressive than 996 ft? I mean other than the obvious fact that it's 4 more feet? And that can't be your position because if you want 1,000 ft simply because it's 4 more ft than 996 ft then logically won't you then want it to be 1,004 ft, and then subsequently 1,008 ft and on and on to infinity?

The reason why eclipsing 1,000 ft is important is only due to the fact we have a base 10 system and have randomly determined that a certain distance can be measured as 1 foot. All of this is man-made construct however. It's in our brains. It's not real. So while you may think going from 996 - 1,000 ft is a big deal. It is not. In reality going 4 extra feet simply means that the building will a tiny bit taller and when that height is put into perspective with the height of the building? It's literally nothing, and I mean literally, the difference of 4 ft when put into perspective of 1,000 ft building is statistically insignificant.

And even if you do have ocd and want to obsess over the numbers, despite how meaningless they are, as many have pointed out, the important number is not 1,000 ft but rather 300 meters anyway. And this building eclipses that 300 meter mark need to be considered a super tall. Not to mention the fact that officially ( like it or not ) the spire is a part of physical structure of the building and the official height of the building is 1,121 ft, far above 1,000 ft anyway.

So for those moaning about the height and wishing for 4 more feet. They are complaining about nothing, about total utter nonsense. What's real is how the building looks, and adding or subtracting 4 ft wouldn't noticeable change that appearance. What's real is how many people will be able to use that building, how many jobs building it will create, how this project will inject so much cash and people and excitement into this city. I'm "freaking out" because this is the best news to hit Philadelphia in decades and instead of celebrating, people (and not just those in this forum but people all over this city) are astoundingly finding so much to complain about. The negativity is getting really old. You don't need an underdog mentality anymore, I've been to cities all of the world and this one right here is a truly a world class city that is only getting better. Everyone can remove the chip from their shoulders and give the cruddy old attitude a rest.
Dude....YOU took that Ish waaaay to personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 05:41 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Dude....YOU took that Ish waaaay to personally.
Sorry. Low tolerance for nonsense.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:04 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
So basically 25 years ago the Philly skyline was pitiful since it was no liberty one or two, no comcast building
Philly has always had a great skyline, although it's probably true it didn't really become a modern one until Liberty I and II were built, but it always had the density and urbanity. The Gentlemens Agreement that no building could be built taller than City Hall meant that tons of historic midrises were built, which most modern skyscraper cities today like Houston, Atlanta, Miami, etc lack.

This is Philadelphia in 1935:

1935 Philadelphia, just for fun. Skyscraper density nearly matched New York’s. Fairchild.

New York in Black and WhiteNew York in Black and White

Old 01-24-2014, 06:37 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Philly has always had a great skyline, although it's probably true it didn't really become a modern one until Liberty I and II were built, but it always had the density and urbanity. The Gentlemens Agreement that no building could be built taller than City Hall meant that tons of historic midrises were built, which most modern skyscraper cities today like Houston, Atlanta, Miami, etc lack.

1935 Philadelphia, just for fun. Skyscraper density nearly matched New York’s. Fairchild.

Not much of a skyline since City Hall was the tallest building

Old 01-24-2014, 07:08 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

It's absolutely amazing that pretty much all of these buildings are still standing.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:22 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Sorry. Low tolerance for nonsense.
WHAT nonsense? Did YOU read any of my post earlier in the thread? As a matter of fact who cares? I'm not an architech but still four feet or 140 feet is a question I asked...Rather rhetorical at that.

Low tolerance for nonsene......Get a girlfriend dude.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:27 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
WHAT nonsense? Did YOU read any of my post earlier in the thread? As a matter of fact who cares? I'm not an architech but still four feet or 140 feet is a question I asked...Rather rhetorical at that.

Low tolerance for nonsene......Get a girlfriend dude.

architecT

Old 02-24-2014, 10:05 PM

837 posts, read 854,186 times
I'm not much of a fan of that tower!!!!! The design basically sucks big time!!!! It looks like a bunch of vertically stacked milk crates covered in glass!!!!! I would rather see the old American Commerce Center on 18th and Arch than that monstrosity!!!!! The American Commerce Center was a much better proposal than the CITC!!!!! That has to be said!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia