Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:44 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
IMHO its not about choice its all about the money. if ya got the money you can engineer and build whatever/however way you want. if ya ain't got the money ya take what you can get. speculation home builders (aka Toll Brothers) build to maximize profit. a true custom home builder listen to the client specifications. money is not the issue but quality is of the utmost importance. As long as engineered designs meets local/national building codes you can design a new home or remodel an existing home to be built with any materials you want to use. Also, if ya got some money but not a lot of it you always have the option to install soundproofing/dreading material in an older home.
Exactly. It absolutely comes down to budget. New construction, solid material homes are definitely still built, but they tend to be reserved for people who have upper-middle/upper-class budgets.

It's important to note that times have changed dramatically since, say, 1900. More solid building materials (e.g., solid wood, brick and stone) are much more expensive now. Also, we have learned to be much more efficient with materials and engineering.

While I also prefer more solid, older homes, I also recognize that most older homes are, to some degree, "overbuilt" and can also have a lot less efficiency. So, while these newer, post-war suburban homes tend not to be as solidly built, they are not going to simply collapse with the next major storm.

Also, the Philadelphia area (and Pennsylvania in general), due to its age, has one of the oldest housing stocks of in the country -- so older, pre-war housing is very plentiful in this area. While you may complain of "cookie-cutter" housing here, you'd have a REALLY hard time settling on a house in the Sunbelt or the West where that is pretty much the norm.

Last edited by Duderino; 01-22-2014 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
The developers who assaulted PA are a cancerous plague. They cut corners and short perspective owners wherever they can.
I spent years on a committee that tried to get them to conform to even minimal standards ~ At least shoot for mediocrity, and they wouldn't. Since they own 99% of local gov's, this is what you get if you want a new construction.
Let's recognize the fact that this is far from a Pennsylvania-only problem. In fact, it's FAR worse in most other areas of the country where population growth is much more substantial and "cookie-cutter" housing developments go on for miles and miles.

In fact, in traveling to other areas of the US, it's clear to me that Pennsylvania's municipalities tend to be more strict about growth restrictions and open space preservation than most.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:10 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Nailed it! To be fair this isn't a problem exclusive just to suburban Philadelphia. This is a national phenomenon, and to be quite frank I'm not sure what we in the younger generations can do to reverse this trend.
We probably are starting to reverse that trend. I personally foresee that there will be more of a balance between urban/suburban living, with certain inner ring suburbs especially rising in stock. I don't think those $800k vinyl boxes are going to become ghettoes anytime soon, though they could very easily lose cachet in the not-too-distant future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
This is true. Despite the fact that it seems like most new posters that come on here looking for advise on where to live in a "walkable community close to shops, restaurants, etc", the vast majority of people ultimately end up living in a home in a suburban housing development that was built in the past few decades. Why is that? I guess the pros outway the cons for most people.
Different people have different priorities and that's ok by me. Just in my personal experience, while I think my home neighborhood, Penn Valley, is very charming/resolutely not cookie-cutter (mostly higher end-custom construction/only a couple tract developments) it's also decidedly auto-centric and I really missed being able to walk places as a kid, something most of my friends living in Bala-Cynwyd, Merion, Narberth, Ardmore, etc. But as much as I like easy access to town centers, I also love custom houses on big lots, and it's really hard (though not impossible) to have both. I'm probably at least 7 years off from buying any kind of home, but I anticipate those often-competing desires will come into play when the time comes.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 7,909 times
Default Our experience as new home owners

We purchased a 4BR, 2.5BA 40-year-old center hall colonial in Doylestown on an acre about six months ago. While we have had to put in new windows (something we knew going in) and certainly do some cosmetic work, the house is SOLID and beams with character. The neighborhood is established and while we cannot walk to the borough, we are about five minutes driving distance which is wonderful. My husband and I are both transports from the NYC tristate area and liked the idea of the cultural exposure available in a town like this. The idea of living in a planned community nestled off of a highway, trapped down a winding road in a development maze was unappealing. And quite simply, a new construction of the same size on comparable property would have cost another $200K and that frankly is not within our reach. Plus, it is tough to find new construction with the kind of privacy we have here.

However, we do plan on making this a long-term home. We have a daughter and another on the way and don't plan to leave this home until the newest addition graduates from high school (barring unforeseen circumstances, of course). If we were looking for something more temporary, or had something else in mind to work toward, we just may have made a different choice and purchased something newer on a smaller lot. Why? Well, if I have a five year plan, I wouldn't want to spend $25K replacing windows or replace damaged drywall. I wouldn't want the headache of possible problems with roofing or replacing of heating and cooling systems. While our new home did have some of these upgraded by the previous owner in recent years, if we stay for another 20 certainly things will need addressing. I would not want that kind of responsibility in a home I was not planning to stay in for long. I also have a partner who is handy and neither of us mind spending weekends doing things around the house and keeping up with maintenance. Not all home owners are the same or have the kind of schedule to manage this. Another situation where you may look for something newer and more hastle-free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia