Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:49 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
you could save a lot of time and get a better steak by going to sonny's which is in old city on market st.

eastern state penitentiary is a worthwhile stop as well
I'm not to big on Sonny's. I mean, it's good, but if it wasn't in Old City, I'd never recommend it. Plus, there is a certain appeal to doing the touristy thing--the thing everyone else does that you can compare your experience to. If you say you went to Philly and went to Sonny's, people wouldn't understand why. Now, if you went to John's Roast Pork or Delessandro's, when someone asked why, you could say that you went because locals told you it was the best. I think it's best to either go to the best or go to the most famous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 04:39 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Here's a suggestion:

Before anything else, stop at Independence Visitor's Center

1st visit - Historic Philly: Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Ben Franklin's Court, Carpenter's Hall, Betsy Ross House, Elfreth's Alley. Also: Reading Terminal Market, City Hall and Chinatown. If time permits, stroll around Society Hill and Washington Square West.

2nd Visit - Parkway museums: Art Museum, Franklin Institute, the Barnes, Rodin Museum. Stroll around Rittenhouse Square and the Rittenhouse neighborhood. Take a quick look at the Comcast Center and the 30th Street Station. If time permits, check out the Italian Market and South Street.

3rd Visit - Philly' most interesting neighborhoods: Old City and Christ Church - check out the art galleries and cafes; Northern Liberties - be sure to have lunch and a drink at one of the hipster hang-outs; Manayunk - walk along Main Street and browse the unique and quirky shops, dine in one of great restaurants here; University City - admire the architecture of the UPenn campus, visit the Penn museum, see the 19th Century Victorian homes in Spruce Hill ... and Historic Clark Park.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:12 PM

221 posts, read 399,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
(Anyone know which classic diners are still open and still good? I used to go to a bunch in Northeast, but I haven't been up there in ages).
Mayfair Diner in the Northeast and Oregon Diner in South Philly are both great for standard diner food.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:38 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I'm not to big on Sonny's. I mean, it's good, but if it wasn't in Old City, I'd never recommend it. Plus, there is a certain appeal to doing the touristy thing--the thing everyone else does that you can compare your experience to. If you say you went to Philly and went to Sonny's, people wouldn't understand why. Now, if you went to John's Roast Pork or Delessandro's, when someone asked why, you could say that you went because locals told you it was the best. I think it's best to either go to the best or go to the most famous.
On the contrary, I think the only reason Sonny's doesn't have a better reputation is the fact that it is in Old City rather than a "neighborhood", and therefore assumed to be "touristy". In my opinion, it is better than John's (which has very good roast pork) and Delessandro's (which I have found to be surprisingly mediocre given its hype), and far better than pat's and geno's, and in any event for someone visiting Old City who wants a good cheesesteak without driving out of the way, is the best option.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:36 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
On the contrary, I think the only reason Sonny's doesn't have a better reputation is the fact that it is in Old City rather than a "neighborhood", and therefore assumed to be "touristy". In my opinion, it is better than John's (which has very good roast pork) and Delessandro's (which I have found to be surprisingly mediocre given its hype), and far better than pat's and geno's, and in any event for someone visiting Old City who wants a good cheesesteak without driving out of the way, is the best option.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:26 AM

182 posts, read 376,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
you could save a lot of time and get a better steak by going to sonny's which is in old city on market st.

eastern state penitentiary is a worthwhile stop as well
At least he/she can say they got to have the "original" cheesesteak.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:56 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatdoesthefoxsay65 View Post
At least he/she can say they got to have the "original" cheesesteak.
This is true, plus you get to experience the "ambiance" . . .

Old 01-27-2014, 05:01 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Maybe I'm confusing Sonny's for a different place right there in Old City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia