Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 10:18 AM

5 posts, read 9,148 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Our little family is looking to move from Casper, Wyoming to somewhere near Philly. We are having a hard time finding a place that will meet our needs. We have been advised to not live in Philly but to instead look for a suburb. I work as a paralegal and my fiance workings as a nurse. We are looking for a town that has great pay for the nursing field as I only work part time due to our little one having special needs. So things that are important for us include great nursing pay, reasonable housing expenses, great schools, and therapy choices (for developmental delays such as physical, occupational and speech therapy). Other important things are safe neighborhoods and family oriented communities. We love the outdoors, hunting, hiking, camping. The fiance would love to live somewhere where he could hunt pheasants. I'd enjoy a smaller/med sized community that has lots of activities and possibly a quaint downtown. If anyone could point us in some sort of direction it would be greatly appreciated! We have family in Delaware and Maryland so we are familiar with the environment and weather back east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 10:22 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Budget???

Old 02-10-2014, 07:40 AM

5 posts, read 9,148 times
$200,000 to $250,000 for housing. As I understand it this will probably put us an hour outside of Philly.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:31 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,462 times
jersey you could get closer for less.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:48 PM

126 posts, read 203,827 times
Certainly not the only place but Springfield pa comes to mind. Only thing it doesn't really have you
re looking for is a downtown. But, you could get a nice house within your budget there. Lots of families and community involvement, safe area. It's about a half hour from center city. Schools aren't the BEST in the area, but are definitely solid and above average.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 9,536 times
Mysister in law is from Casper! I am in Swarthmore and the 200-250K is a hardprice point to enter here. But it does have the quaint town. But that said thegreat school district is Wallingford Swarthmore and it includes WallingfordSwarthmore and Rutledge. You can find housing in Wallingford and Rutledge atthese prices. Media also has good schools and a great town center. Springfieldis great but as said above no real town center. Ridley Creek State park isclose and they definitely have deer hunting, not sure what else you can hunt.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:36 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Wow, that's a lot of diverse criteria! Nursing pay would probably be highest in the city hospitals. I just checked Ridley Creek State Park as I used to live near there and I had no idea they allowed hunting. Anyway, it's deer hunting; however, there are other parks in the 'burbs that allow pheasant hunting -- Evansburg, Marsh Creek, Nockamixon. Maybe you could look in the area north/east of Norristown -- Lansdale, Skippack, Collegeville. There is some beautiful open space in these areas and Evansburg is close-by. They are about 45 mins. outside the city. Good luck to you!

Old 02-23-2014, 03:43 PM

283 posts, read 463,717 times
Phoenixville, perhaps. It has a hospital, a nice downtown, good schools, and if you're staying south of the Schuylkill, it's really the last urban center before you hit more rural areas. It's about 45 minutes from downtown Philly. I don't hunt so I'm not 100% sure what that is like in the area, but I have friends that are very into it and they seem to do it nearby. To the north is Collegeville, which is typical suburban living with big roads, large shopping centers and big business campuses. To the east is Valley Forge/King of Prussia, which is nice to be close to. There's good outdoor activities in the park and lots of shopping near the mall. Going south one hits the Mainline, and west is rural areas heading towards Amish country. I think it's worth a look for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia