Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 04:38 PM

285 posts, read 857,971 times

Advertisements

Hi Philadelphians! I am looking for a restaurant within walking distance (.5 miles or less) of the convention center that would be good for dinner for a group of 10 people, ages 6 to 37 (but most between 18 and 25) at lower end of the price range. Open to any suggestions, but most of the group is not adventurous so to speak so we would be leaning towards more traditional / American style cuisine (vegan friendly is a huge bonus!)

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 04:43 PM

364 posts, read 728,357 times
You're in luck, that market is exactly what the neighboring restaurants cater to. Maggiano's and Chili's are right outside the convention center. There's an Applebee's about six blocks away around 15th and Walnut. There is (was?) a TGI Friday's somewhere along the western side of the Parkway. The Marriott has a restaurant. The Loew's restaurants are probably too adventurous, and I'd gander to say Reading Terminal Market could be a bad choice.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:32 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,858,310 times
Why not head to Chinatown which is right outside the Convention Center? There are several restaurants that can easily handle a group of that size.

Of course, not everone is crazy about Chinese or Asian food. Personally I would much, much, much rather have a good Chinese or Thai or Malaysian or Vietnamese meal than a generic mediocre meal at a chain restaurant like Appleby's, Chili's, or TGI Friday's.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Why not head to Chinatown which is right outside the Convention Center? There are several restaurants that can easily handle a group of that size.

Of course, not everone is crazy about Chinese or Asian food. Personally I would much, much, much rather have a good Chinese or Thai or Malaysian or Vietnamese meal than a generic mediocre meal at a chain restaurant like Appleby's, Chili's, or TGI Friday's.
The OP already said that the group is not adventurous. So your rhetoric is misguided, and that's why I mentioned the chain restaurants. I'm also a very unadventurous/picky eater due to lazy parenting -- I have problems just getting unappetizing food in my mouth without dry hacking and convulsions. But even I have found a wealth of delicious independent restaurants who cater to me, such as Devil's Alley, Kite and Key, Nodding Head, Good Dog Bar, Smokin' Bettie's, Triumph, the Irish Pub, Dutch Eating Place, and so on.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:16 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,512,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
The OP already said that the group is not adventurous. So your rhetoric is misguided, and that's why I mentioned the chain restaurants. I'm also a very unadventurous/picky eater due to lazy parenting -- I have problems just getting unappetizing food in my mouth without dry hacking and convulsions. But even I have found a wealth of delicious independent restaurants who cater to me, such as Devil's Alley, Kite and Key, Nodding Head, Good Dog Bar, Smokin' Bettie's, Triumph, the Irish Pub, Dutch Eating Place, and so on.
What's more traditional/American/unadventurous than wonton soup, eggroll, dumplings, fried rice and sesame chicken? Chinatown would be perfect for the op, most of the restaurants can easily handle a party of ten and the prices are right. Plus, they can get all the vegetarian dishes they want.
BTW, what's stopping you now, as an adult, from trying different foods and acquiring new tastes?

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 03-02-2014 at 10:27 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
What's more traditional/American/unadventurous than wonton soup, eggroll, dumplings, fried rice and sesame chicken? Chinatown would be perfect for the op, most of the restaurants can easily handle a party of ten and the prices are right. Plus, they can get all the vegetarian dishes they want.
BTW, what's stopping you now, as an adult, from trying different foods and acquiring new tastes?
The OP didn't ask for Americanized Chinese food.

Not to derail the thread, but I literally can't stomach anything I'm not used to. Most people can try something and say, "I don't like that." I can try something and end up with my last meal on the floor. My eating new things isn't pretty. Don't know what to do about it.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,512,758 times
Quote:

Not to derail the thread, but I literally can't stomach anything I'm not used to. Most people can try something and say, "I don't like that." I can try something and end up with my last meal on the floor. My eating new things isn't pretty. Don't know what to do about it.
It doesn't matter, it's still the op's best option (maybe at the time they made the post, American/Chinese wasn't fresh on their mind, and that's why CP mentioned it). Sucks to be you ... sorry.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:57 AM

Well, I don't think I can sleep until we find out what the OP chooses to do.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:36 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,467,789 times
Magianno's is very good for large groups. I imagine it would also have plenty of vegan options?

Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,329,496 times
Quote:

Wow...that's a drag. Sincerely. But it almost sounds more like a phobia than a gastro thing. Was there ever any new food which you tried and liked at first sample?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia