Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:49 PM

692 posts, read 2,350,479 times

Advertisements

Maybe try Langhorne/Fairless Hills/Levittown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
My guess: Clifton Heights, Springfield, Drexel Hill?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Your post makes me think of the Media area. It really is diverse in so many ways (socioeconomically, racially, religiously, etc.) While proximity to areas like Swarthmore and Newtown Square may give off a bit of a snobbish vibe, I've found Media to be remarkably friendly. It has a great sense of community, good schools and would likely not be as much of a "culture shock" moving from the city as many other suburbs. I think there are some great housing deals to be had, as well.

The catch is that taxes are not exactly the cheapest, but that tends to go hand-in-hand with better schools/amenities.
The Media Area is fairly hoi palloi as a whole. Upper Providence, Middletown, Edgmont, etc. are fairly upscale. IE, Media is to Media Rose Tree what Narberth is to Lower Merion.

I don't think any of these areas are per se unfriendly. I just think the OP is looking for a middle class area that's not too much on the "highbrow" side.

The alternative, of course, is to compromise on a "mixed" area within your budget (Media would definitely be one) in which you can have your preferred conventionally middle class/blue collar culture at your fingertips while accepting the fact that some of your children's classmates may come from different backgrounds.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:49 AM

149 posts, read 324,013 times
I'm gonna give a plug for my town & suggest Horsham twp. It's definitely all burb but the taxes are pretty low compared to other townships, schools are great and there is a relatively decent mix of blue/white collar residents. There are certainly new developments of McMansions (they're building a new one by the library) but there are also a decent amount of older, more down to earth neighborhoods as well. Heck, our one neighbor next door has a new Benz & Infinit SUV in their driveway while across the street is a handyman with his work-in-progress van in his driveway. Not very diverse ethnically though, if that's what you're looking for as well.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:50 PM

50 posts, read 104,644 times
I second Springfield in Delaware County. It's well-established with a good school district that is virtually contiguous with the township. Also, it is adjacent or close-by very nice 'burbs like Swarthmore and Media. Another possibility is parts of Ridley Township or Ridley Park in Delco. I am not personally familiar with the latest on their school district, but regarding possible attractiveness as a community, a number of scenes in the movie Silver Linings Playbook with Bradley Cooper included homes and streets in Ridley Township (home with garage apartment) or Ridley Park (jogging scenes).

Old 03-19-2014, 01:10 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
I'll throw in my hometown bias of Abington, particularly west of Old York Road/Route 611 and north of Susquehanna Road. For that matter, throw in Upper/Lower Moreland, Hatboro, Horsham and most points north and west except maybe Doylestown. Taxes may be an issue in some cases; you can't have it all.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:43 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
It sounds like the OP is looking for is most often found in towns. for example, media borough vs upper and lower nether regions and the like.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:57 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
It sounds like the OP is looking for is most often found in towns. for example, media borough vs upper and lower nether regions and the like.
I suppose the issue being that these towns often feed into the same schools as the upper/lower/nether regions (love the way you put that btw ).

Old 08-09-2014, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,887 times
Hello,
I am not sure if you are still house hunting but I came across your thread because we are also looking to move from Philly (East Falls) to Mt. Laurel NJ and looking for the same vibe to a neighborhood. I would also recommend Jenkintown (being a teacher I love the tiny, yet excellent school district). The town is small with lots to do in walking distance. I grew up in the close, yet much larger town of Abington. I would also recommend looking into Glenside, although I am not as familiar with it. I think it filters into Abington, Cheltenham and Springfield Township in terms of school districts. I have heard to avoid "North Hills" section. The town has that cool Keswick Theater and "city" feel. If anyone has any recommendations of where to live in Mount Laurel for myself, 2 dogs and 4 year old in the $300,000 range we would love to hear it. I work in Cherry Hill and my husband in Bensalem. I am new to this site and will be starting my own thread shortly. Good Luck!

Old 08-09-2014, 05:45 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,248,892 times
Conshohocken, Plymouth Meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by port1234 View Post
Which areas in the Philadelphia suburbs are the most down to earth?

I currently live in the Port Richmond section of Philadelphia and we are thinking about moving our family to the suburbs. We have been looking in Mount Laurel NJ but I'm not sure if we will fit in there personality wise. Hoping to find an area with ok taxes, good schools, great community and great people.

Are there any suburban areas with all of the above that are still blue collar/white collar and the people are cool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia