Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:44 PM

23 posts, read 34,203 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Moving to Philly, looking for a place for around 1800-2100$ with parking nearbyish, 2 bedrooms, in a good area. I've read these areas are good, what are the differences? How far of a walk are they to each other, anyhow? I like that they all seem walking distance to either Trader Joes or Whole Foods and varieties of shops and things, but what is the feel of each neighborhood? Compare to say, NYC areas, or just give me a feel (ie, East Village, etc).

I would love an area where we can walk our toddler to nearby parks, where troublemakers are minimal for a city (ie, not above a row of night clubs), where we can easily walk to get our groceries and maybe some cheap but good street food, etc. Bonus for varied nearby local coffee shop feel, etc. I read that Rittenhouse had a big rat overpopulation a few years back. Is it the same?

Thanks so much! Looking to go this weekend to find a place. Guidance certainly appreicated! We are early 30's professionals with a 1 year old toddler who like urban living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 02:49 PM

Renting, sorry. Oh, walk to trains within 10 mins or so is important (I hate the bus).

Old 11-25-2013, 04:28 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Bella Vista would be the safest and most family oriented of the three and is similar to Greenwich Village in NYC. Rittenhouse Square is similar to the Upper East Side and Center City is similar to midtown Manhattan. Rittenhouse Square could use a lot more police patrols; I wouldn't take a toddler to that park. I don't know where you are, but you really should visit these places on a weekend afternoon as they are all very walkable.

Philly is the friendliest big city in the US.

Last edited by james777; 11-25-2013 at 05:17 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 04:32 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
I hate trying to put Philly in terms of NYC (sort of impossible). I agree about visiting to form your own impressions.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Bella Vista would be the safest and most family oriented of the three and is similar to Greenwich Village in NYC. Rittenhouse Square is similar to the Upper East Side and Center City is similar to midtown Manhattan. Rittenhouse Square could use a lot more police patrols; I wouldn't take a toddler to that park. I don't know where you are, but you really should visit these places on a weekend afternoon as they are all very walkable.

Agreed - Other locals would be Fitler Sq, Washington West, Society Hill, Lagan Sq and Queen Village

Old 11-25-2013, 06:07 PM

This is very helpful, kidphilly, can you tell me about the other areas you mentioned? Do you know of any specific buildings that are good by chance? Or good realtors?

I def will visit, but want to target to view as many places as I can in a day. It's not really feasible to do multi-day trips as it's a 4-hour drive and we have a 1 year old. I want to have a pretty good idea and schedule with a realtor before I get there hoping to find a place in 1 day. One realtor mentioned the art district as well. The more info you can tell me the better! Did I mention we are moving by Jan 1?!

What are the safest areas on the train line with grocery and safe park nearby? Rittenhouse park sounds out now.

Thanks!!!

Old 11-25-2013, 06:55 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
I see many happy toddlers in Rittenhouse Square. Agree about Queen Village too. You asked about the train, but do not say where you are working. If it's in center city, you can pretty much walk to work (or take a very short bus ride). You would not use the train.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:18 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankyoux2 View Post

What are the safest areas on the train line with grocery and safe park nearby? Rittenhouse park sounds out now.

Thanks!!!
There are plenty of children in Rittenhouse. The main thing about Rittenhouse it that it is really the densest part of Center City, and lots of folks go there. So you will see homeless people - that's the main thing I guess. Occasionally you'll see bad things that make the news that wouldn't make the news if they happened anywhere else in the city. Like school kids acting up. Anyone who is open to big city living and can afford Rittenhouse Square should consider it.

As someone else hinted at, the nicest urban areas of Philadelphia, including the ones you're looking at, are fairly compact. Center City is roughly 2 miles by one mile in size. Rittenhouse is in Center City. Bella Vista borders Center City proper and is really only about a mile away or so from City Hall. When I used to live in Center City walking was usually the fastest way home - occasional I could beat it by a few minutes by taking the bus - and taking the subway was surely the slowest way based on the transfer, but I did it once in a while for the novelty. It wasn't till I moved many miles away from Center City that I could to appreciate the time savings on the Broad Street Line Express in its glory.

If you'll be working in the suburbs, that changes thing. Suburban Station and Market East Station are the commuter rail stations downtown. Suburban Station has a pedestrian concourse connecting to the Broad Street Line, Market-Frankford Line, and Trolleys. Market East Station has a connecting concourse to the Market Frankford Line. Both stations are served by quite a few bus lines.

http://septa.org/maps/system/index.html

Old 11-25-2013, 07:21 PM

445 posts, read 414,465 times
I'd argue Rittenhouse Sq is probably a bit better for families and further from "troublemakers", due to the fact that Bella Vista borders a pretty crappy part of South Street that's had its fair share of violence recently. That being said, they're both great neighborhoods. Rittenhouse is definitely denser and is going to feel more like NYC. Both seem to have plenty of families.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:27 PM

445 posts, read 414,465 times
BTW, I'd strongly consider Fairmount or Graduate Hospital/Southwest Center City. Both neighborhoods are teeming with young families right now. If an older home is your thing, Fairmount's a good choice, if new construction is your thing, lots of choices in Graduate Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia