Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:20 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,921,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
People are moving to Houston and Dallas because there are jobs there... that doesn't NECESSARILY mean people ACTUALLY want to live there.
I think that is so true for the majority of people who move to Houston and Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 01:29 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,607,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
It's true, not necessarily! But the google-mind app on my computer is broken, so I cannot tell what faraway people are definitely thinking, or whether they currently hate their life choices.

But I'm pretty sure that deep down, everyone has the same preferences as me.
I'm not saying everyone who moves there hates it. I'm sure, in fact I know, there are people that love Houston and Dallas and Texas in general and actually WANT to live there. I'm just saying not everyone moving there is because of people WANTING to live there. People are moving there because of the job opportunity, not because everyone is dying to live in Texas.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:14 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,621,902 times
Quote:
I'm not saying everyone who moves there hates it. I'm sure, in fact I know, there are people that love Houston and Dallas and Texas in general and actually WANT to live there. I'm just saying not everyone moving there is because of people WANTING to live there. People are moving there because of the job opportunity, not because everyone is dying to live in Texas.
So basically, something one could reasonably say about just about anyplace. Reasonable is good!

I'm just saying, if anything, that all of these "No one cares about this place."/"No one wants to move to that place." statements that have been made in this thread, and which have provoked arguments that have dominated the majority of this thread, are not reasonable, are just silly, and just force people to be defensive and drive the thread waay off-topic. And the OP topic was (intentionally) silly enough to begin with!

Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,883,670 times
Quote:
Hmmmm...

I hope you're sarcastic. Are you comparing the entire state to Philadelphia? Philadelphia has HALF of the states Fortune 500 companies. The rest are spread out throughout the state.
Woah Woah there. There are 23 Fortune 500 companies in Pennsylvania. 9 are in Pittsburgh, 9 in the Delaware Valley, and 5 randos. They aren't really too spread out. 40% in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia each, and 20% scattered about PA.

PITTSBURGH METROPOLITAN AREA - 9
Pittsburgh - 6
Canonsburg, PA - 2
Moon Township, PA - 1

DELAWARE VALLEY - 9
Philadelphia - 4
King of Prussia, PA - 2
Main Line Stretch - 2
Chesterbrook, PA - 1

Other - 5
Allentown, PA - 2
Camp Hill, PA (Harrisburg Area) - 1
Erie, PA - 1
Hersey, PA - 1

Fortune 500 2012: States: Pennsylvania Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Old 04-04-2014, 04:05 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,212,635 times
Quote:
Jeez man. You are really on Minneapolis' nuts aren't you? Okay fair enough. They're superior to Philadelphia. End of conversation.

There's lot of stuff I didn't like about Minneapolis - that's why I'm not there anymore. However, lots of the stuff I did like Philadelphia isn't too good with. They have their own pros and cons, and I think are on a pretty similar level to each other, which has always been my main point. Having lived 5 years in Minneapolis and 4 in Philadelphia, I'm honestly not too sure which one I prefer overall.

Also the Houston and Dallas things were totally tongue in cheek on my part as I'd never want to live in them at all - and it being that there are certain intangible things that makes a city great. It's why I'd take Philadelphia over either of them, and why I'm not so sure whether I'd take Philadelphia or Minneapolis over each other.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:08 PM

41,728 posts, read 74,675,578 times
Quote:
People are moving to Houston and Dallas because there are jobs there... that doesn't NECESSARILY mean people ACTUALLY want to live there.
A job - yes! That was why I moved to Philadelphia.

Next ...

Old 04-04-2014, 05:08 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,832,132 times
How did this thread go from Minnesota/Minneapolis bashing to Houston and Dallas bashing? I have visited Houston a few times and above and beyond just the job market there were several things that were attractive about the area. During one of my visits to Houston I attended a conference at Rice University and wow that is a beautiful campus. The theater district and Hobby Center are also quite impressive.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
How did this thread go from Minnesota/Minneapolis bashing to Houston and Dallas bashing? I have visited Houston a few times and above and beyond just the job market there were several things that were attractive about the area. During one of my visits to Houston I attended a conference at Rice University and wow that is a beautiful campus. The theater district and Hobby Center are also quite impressive.
I did that. It's called a strategic diversion. Learned it at the University of Minnesota.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:52 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,832,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
I did that. It's called a strategic diversion. Learned it at the University of Minnesota.
I like it and I hope people from Minneapolis, Houston, and Dallas are not reading this thread because they are going to think people in Philly hate everybody.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
I like it and I hope people from Minneapolis, Houston, and Dallas are not reading this thread because they are going to think people in Philly hate everybody.
On the other hand, there's something to be said for the knee-jerk and abrasive northeast attitude. It's one of the things I missed when I was in Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia