Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,428 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are considering moving to this area, right on the North border of Powelton Village and the South border of Mantua. I know Mantua can get dicey, and Powelton will have a lot of students. I wanted to hear from people more familiar with the area as to how walk-able or bike-able it is. I've visited the area, and myself see Haverford Ave as kind of the boundary to less desirable areas.

What are your thoughts on this location? I want to be very sure before moving to the area that I won't end up regretting it. FYI I am coming from the Fairmount area (Poplar St./23rd near Girard College).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 10:42 AM

364 posts, read 732,676 times
I'd live there. Maybe watch yourself at night. Probably a lot safer than Girard College area.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:16 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Fine area. I would live there. Better than 23rd and poplar. You'd be surprised how quick mantua is changing. A lot of new development in the area. Closer to public transit at this location too than 23rd and poplar.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,428 times
Thanks for the responses. Hoping to get as much feedback as possible before we make our decision. Anyone else with thoughts on this area?

Old 04-02-2014, 04:38 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
I think it is pretty safe. The steady traffic coming and going from the Spring Garden bridge helps.

Safer than the Girard College vicinity.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:13 AM

41 posts, read 41,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaBadfish View Post
Thanks for the responses. Hoping to get as much feedback as possible before we make our decision. Anyone else with thoughts on this area?
Not sure if this is fair but students treat Spring Garden like a bright line. All the students live on the South side of the streets and the locals live on the north side...it's probably more psychological than anything else because I doubt it is less safe to live on the NE corner of a block v the SE corner.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:08 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TresChic314 View Post
Not sure if this is fair but students treat Spring Garden like a bright line. All the students live on the South side of the streets and the locals live on the north side...it's probably more psychological than anything else because I doubt it is less safe to live on the NE corner of a block v the SE corner.
That is not even CLOSE to true. Plenty of students live north of Spring Garden in Mantua

Old 04-06-2014, 01:53 AM

41 posts, read 41,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
That is not even CLOSE to true. Plenty of students live north of Spring Garden in Mantua
Alright let me temper that and say that this is what was communicated to me at least by several Drexel undergrads and by a local real estate agent, and that Spring Garden is the northernmost border of Drexel Security's patrol zone. Perhaps there are more Drexel grad students who live further north?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia