Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:50 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times

Advertisements

Fort Washington is a typical middle-class suburb with a significant office park presence. No worries about safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:45 AM

36 posts, read 82,365 times
Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
fort washington is fine, we stayed in a hotel there for a week. I hope your looking at one with a pool as there isnt much to do in the area. there is a really good pizza place though i cant remember the name, looks like a dump burt its the best white pizza ive ever had.
Yes, finding one with a pool was a priority, as was a grassy area nearby. We'll look for a dumpy pizza place.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:53 AM

3 posts, read 4,780 times
I am partial to the Media area. Great school system, a wide variety of home styles, a 30 minute train ride to the city, and wonderful shops and restaurants along State St. You also have Ridley Creek State Park not far away.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:40 PM

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would ask my question in this one I created a few years ago.

I ended up taking the job in Philadelphia and renting a house in southern NJ for the past three years. We're considering buying a house this summer. We aren't very particular to NJ or PA, but property taxes are a big deal to me. I have had the impression that they're lower in PA, but as I've looked at online home listings, I'm getting the idea that in comparable school systems that range from average to great, property taxes are pretty similar in NJ or PA (for areas within about an hour commute of downtown Philly).

What is your impression of property taxes for PA vs NJ in good school districts? Are there areas in PA not too far from Philladelphia that have good or great school systems and low property taxes? (Low meaning less than about $800 per month for a $300,000 house, or maybe about 3%.)

Moving from a state that had very low property taxes it's hard to stomach the thought of almost half of my mortgage going to property tax. After three years of contemplating it and realizing there's no alternative I'm only a little more comfortable with it.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:57 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
I would actually suggest you cut and paste your post and start a new thread. I only say that because when people open up the thread, they'll see that it's from 2014 and may close it before even getting to the last post in it. You'll definitely get more responses that way.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the idea. I think I'll do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia