Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 08:44 PM

4 posts, read 6,103 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,

My husband has taken a job in Center City and we are contemplating relocation (in lieu of the hubby making a weekly commute to Philly from Austin TX). I'm a southern girl and we've enjoyed being in the Austin suburbs here in TX for the last 3 years but don't want to spend 5 days a week apart.

We know my hubby will want to take the train into Center City each day, but we don't want the total commute to be more than 45 minutes each way (prefer 30 minutes each way, but you know how that goes). We have 2 children in elementary school and want a solid public school system for them. Our income is about $230,000/year and we are debt free; I'd like to go ahead and buy a home if we can quickly get a comfort level that a certain area is the right one for us. Our max desired home purchase price is about $450,000, and we are used to having at least 2800 square feet and 4 bedrooms (not a townhome or condo...). For comparison, our home in Tennessee was $85/SF, and homes in our area of Texas are around $130/SF. I realize the northeast is more expensive, but don't want a cramped, outdated townhome with street parking next to a major interstate (for example).

We like our elbow room and don't want to live in a truly urban environment. We are total suburbanites. However, we also don't want to be in a mostly rural area where the typical homestead has acreage (which seems to be what most of Pennsylvania looks like when researching on the internet). We are limiting our search to Pennsylvania (no Jersey, Delaware, etc.).

I would LOVE suggestions for a good place to raise kids and dogs with friendly neighbors, great public schools, a reasonable commute, and decent home prices with spacious square footages and lots of shade trees. I know this post sounds overly picky, but I figured the more information the better to get useful recommendations from those already in the Philly area.

I'd also love a referral to a realtor in the area who specializes in families who are relocating and considering the PA suburbs.

MANY MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 10:44 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,229 times
SEPTA provides the public transportation in Philadelphia and the surrounding counties. Here's the regional rail info, which is what you'd use from the suburbs: SEPTA | Regional Rail Be sure you're looking at the Regional Rail Lines on the map, the skinny blue lines.

You're smart to define your requirements so clearly. How close is his office to 30th Street, Suburban Station, or Market East, the Center City stations? Because once you're off the train, the walk can add 10 or 15 more minutes. Subtract that from 45 minutes and then you know what the train ride plus trip to the local station should be.

On the SEPTA western lines I'm familiar with, Thorndale and Elwyn, you would want to look in Paoli and east, or Media and east, respectively. And you'd need to find a house very close to the station. I'm not sure your budget will do that. Both those areas seem to be closer to $200+/sf. On the Thorndale line, you can live a little farther west and take Amtrak instead, from Downingtown or Exton -- which is faster because there are fewer stops. Keystone Service - the Train between New York City and Harrisburg, PA, by way of Philadelphia | Amtrak But the fares are considerably higher.

There are a lot of different lists that rate PA school districts; here's one: Best School Districts in Pennsylvania - PA District Rankings (I like this one because our district is #2. The #3 one here -- which Paoli is in -- is often ranked above ours. Truthfully, I never heard of #1. U-CF and T-E are usually jockeying for #1.)

I'm way out in the rural area you want to avoid (though I commuted to Philly for a few years and finally quit before I lost my sanity!). So I don't know realtors where you want to be looking, sorry. Hopefully someone who knows the northern suburbs will come along with the perfect suggestion!

Old 05-16-2014, 11:04 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiewega View Post
We know my hubby will want to take the train into Center City each day, but we don't want the total commute to be more than 45 minutes each way (prefer 30 minutes each way, but you know how that goes). We have 2 children in elementary school and want a solid public school system for them.
One suggestion would be the Colonial School District, which encompasses Plymouth and Whitemarsh townships in Montgomery County, including Conshohocken, Plymouth Meeting and Lafayette Hill. In all but the older parts of Plymouth Township and Conshohocken, the houses are not too close together and the area is very suburban in the classic sense.

Your husband could hop the train to Center City from the Conshohocken, Spring Mill or Miquon stations; it will take him 30-40 minutes on the train depending on the stop, plus a few minutes to drive to the station.

I don't know a thing about the individual elementary schools that are scattered throughout the district. Here's a link:

Colonial School District: Home

Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 6,103 times
My hubby's work is at Suburban Station in Center City. We would likely be okay with 30ish minutes on the train and 10 or so minutes to drive home. I just know he wouldn't want to spend 45 minutes on a train and then still have to get all the way home.

The suggestions are much appreciated. The more advice we can get, the better!

Old 05-17-2014, 08:37 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Lafayette Hill might work as well. It's also a part of the Colonial School District. Believe it or not, it is only 1-2 miles from the border of far Northwest Philadelphia but is very suburban. There are two separate train lines in nearby Chestnut Hill (Chestnut Hill East, Chestnut Hill West). Also Springfield Township Montgomery County which has it's own school district and is near (5-10 minutes) to multiple train lines.

You could also consider Upper Dublin Township. Schools are very good. Close to SEPTA's Lansdale-Doylestown Line.

Also Whitpain Township (Blue Bell). Very residential and most homes have at least 1/4-1/3 acre lots. Wissahickon School District, also well-regarded, and clost to trains (Lansdale-Doylestown Line).

Old 05-17-2014, 08:54 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
The upper half of Whitemarsh Towship fits your needs perfectly.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:51 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Along with the other recommendations the Media area might be worth looking into. And the Main Line towns

The Main Line towns and a bit further south Media/Swarthmore/ Nether Providence/Upper Providence/Rose Valley are older towns and neighborhoods full of quaint character. Very woodsy/ivyish.

Just to the west of Media +Main Line the landscape opens up a bit with townships that are full of modern upscale suburbia. Town Centers /Mcmansions/Developments.

The Chadds Ford / Concordville/Glen Mills/Westtown area is really blowing up from a development standpoint.

The general rule of thumb regarding geography.The further you are from the city the newer the development will be. If you look at a map of the Philly area.West of I-476 is the unofficial boundary of where newer suburbia begins.

From East to West

Center City(urban)- West philly(urban) -Inner suburbs(urban)- Older Suburbia-Newer Suburbia-Exurbs. Sounds like you want to be in newer suburbia which puts you about 45 minutes/1 hr from Center City. But to not to look at the Older Suburban towns would be doing yourself a disservice. There are just some incredible homes in the older suburban towns.

Good luck

My photo

Media Pa

Radnor

Bryn Mawr

Further west- Malvern

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia