Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:36 PM

712 posts, read 701,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestcoast View Post
Frustratingly, the taxes don't always correlate with school quality. Wealthier areas like Lower Merion can have lower taxes and better schools... someone else probably understands why better than I do, but my suspicion is that the higher home values and greater number of students going to private schools permits more spending per public school student than in less wealthy areas. Also, if schools really don't matter, 2e1m5a's suggestion of living within Philly might be one to consider since you can get a new home with a tax abatement if you look in the right areas. But if your wife makes a large portion of your income, the city wage tax could hit you guys hard.

Edit: just saw your response, sounds like the city is out
The biggest difference between districts such as LM and Radnor and those that have higher residential property taxes is that they have much more commercial real estate to tax and don't have to fund schools and other services almost entirely through residential real estate taxes. School districts which have a lot of land owned by tax-exempt organizations also usually end up with higher residential real estate taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 05:34 PM

204 posts, read 388,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbleedgreen View Post
Your points are valid. I did see a lot of post from people in Jersey on here who claimed their taxes were on par with philly suburbs. I guess its true even though people from philly seem to disagree. Also I feel like you get "more house" for the money In New Jersey.

I do have a question for you, wanted to make sure I understand this correctly
husband + wife-both work in city and live in philly- wage tax for both and property tax only
if
they both work in city and live in suburbs-- wage tax for both and high property taxes too

Is this correct?
Anyone who works in the city or lives in the city pays the wage tax, it is slightly less for someone working in the city who doesn't live there but only minimally. So if you live in the city, you both pay wage tax regardless of where you work. Otherwise, only you pay wage tax because you work in Philly and your wife does not. You'll pay property tax anywhere you own a house, but it could be lower in the city especially if you get a new construction building that qualifies for a 10-year tax abatement on improvements (meaning you only pay taxes on the assessed value of land, not the building).

Old 05-28-2014, 05:48 PM

221 posts, read 399,988 times
Property taxes in Philly are still on the lower end of the spectrum. For that price range you're probably looking at around 2,000 in property taxes. Depending on your situation that can offset the wage tax to a degree.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:19 PM

175 posts, read 287,933 times
Ive been doing the math myself as i plan to move to Philly in a few years. I figured out that living with in the city was far better in terms of taxes. the property taxes were way lower and easily offset the wage tax. If you want peace and greenyard etc and still live in the city look in east falls or my airy

Old 05-29-2014, 05:32 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,674 times
I looked almost everywhere when I was house hunting. At that time it seemed the lowest taxes were in Aston (Delaware County), Broomall/Newtown Sq (Delaware County), and Upper Merion (Gulph Mills - I think this is Montgomery County).

Old 05-29-2014, 01:06 PM

25 posts, read 39,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
I looked almost everywhere when I was house hunting. At that time it seemed the lowest taxes were in Aston (Delaware County), Broomall/Newtown Sq (Delaware County), and Upper Merion (Gulph Mills - I think this is Montgomery County).

I also found lots of properties in Willow Grove with around $3500 property tax, which is not bad. However regional rail runs 1 hr apart which might not work out for me since I work a flex start time between 10:30am to 2:30p. But the area seem beautiful and family friendly.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
Ive been doing the math myself as i plan to move to Philly in a few years. I figured out that living with in the city was far better in terms of taxes. the property taxes were way lower and easily offset the wage tax. If you want peace and greenyard etc and still live in the city look in east falls or my airy

we considered this option too, our calculations proved this option more expensive

3.924% wage tax for both husband and wife would $4400 and $2900+ around $2500 property tax =around $9800 for us

Old 05-29-2014, 03:30 PM

204 posts, read 388,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbleedgreen View Post
I also found lots of properties in Willow Grove with around $3500 property tax, which is not bad. However regional rail runs 1 hr apart which might not work out for me since I work a flex start time between 10:30am to 2:30p. But the area seem beautiful and family friendly.
If you were okay with the distance north that Willow Grove is, then you might also consider the Glenside/Abington region near one of the busier SEPTA stops. We looked in this area for a while and saw lots of nice houses for moderate prices (but ultimately decided that it was too far from the places we wanted to be close to). I believe both the Glenside station and Jenkintown station have pretty regular train service because multiple lines run through them, but you'd want to be sure to buy in Abington Township rather than Cheltenham Township because it seems to have lower taxes, at least from what we saw.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:59 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Where in Bridgeport did you see homes for $270K? It is crazy to spend that much in Bridgeport. More like mid 150s.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-06-2014 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: Sorry, but you cannot post links to individual properties as this could be considered advertising.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestcoast View Post
If you were okay with the distance north that Willow Grove is, then you might also consider the Glenside/Abington region near one of the busier SEPTA stops. We looked in this area for a while and saw lots of nice houses for moderate prices (but ultimately decided that it was too far from the places we wanted to be close to). I believe both the Glenside station and Jenkintown station have pretty regular train service because multiple lines run through them, but you'd want to be sure to buy in Abington Township rather than Cheltenham Township because it seems to have lower taxes, at least from what we saw.

Thanks for the tip,btw where did you end up buying your house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia