U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 09:01 AM

36 posts, read 33,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatdoesthefoxsay65 View Post
If you seriously think Camden is similar to "most neighborhoods" in Philadelphia, then you need a serious reality check.
Philly might be Bad, but Camden is a ****hole just like most of the cities in Jersey.

Newark, Trenton, Jersey City, Camden, Paterson. Most of the populated cities in Jersey are terrible.

nice thing about Jersey City is its across the river from Downtown Manhattan, and Camden is across the river from Philly. So the skyline view must be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 03:20 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,262,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
Fun fact: there's a West New York, New Jersey

West New York, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So yeah, Camden could be East Philly. Maybe some day developers will try to rebrand Camden as "East Philly"
East New York is in Brooklyn! But it's nowhere close to Manhattan haha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_New_York,_Brooklyn

Old 09-21-2014, 10:20 AM

96 posts, read 204,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
For me, I would consider Camden as East Philly due to Camden being similar to most neighborhoods in Philadelphia (especially North Philadelphia due to Camden being one of the worst areas in the US).
For me, I would consider Camden as East Philly due to Camden being similar to most neighborhoods in Philadelphia (especially North Philadelphia due to Camden being the worst area in the US)

Fixed That For You.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:24 PM

96 posts, read 204,599 times
Kensington (Northeast Philly - Sometimes put with north philly because there's a separate neighborhood called "West Kensington" in North Philly)

Camden (new Jersey slums with a college)

Port Richmond (Northeast Philly)

Pick one, because they're not official.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:27 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,564,607 times
If there was an East Philly it would have to be made up of Kensington, Fishtown, Port Richmond, Juniata, maybe Bridesburg. I know many NE'ners would love to throw Frankford into an "East Philly" lump.

One thing puzzles me though, even though there is technically a NW Philly, you never her people actually call it that unlike North, South, SW, NE Philly. They refer to the neighborhoods themselves, G-Town, Roxborough, East Falls, Manayunk, Mt Airy, etc.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:35 AM

7,442 posts, read 9,877,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
If there was an East Philly it would have to be made up of Kensington, Fishtown, Port Richmond, Juniata, maybe Bridesburg. I know many NE'ners would love to throw Frankford into an "East Philly" lump.

One thing puzzles me though, even though there is technically a NW Philly, you never her people actually call it that unlike North, South, SW, NE Philly. They refer to the neighborhoods themselves, G-Town, Roxborough, East Falls, Manayunk, Mt Airy, etc.
People refer to the neighborhoods in those other areas as well (especially the Northeast), but certainly, people don't say they're from "Northwest Philly" the way they say they're from "West Philly" or "The Great Northeast." The NW, for whatever reason, has a less cohesive collective identity, though people will use the name to refer to the region as a whole.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 09-29-2014 at 07:45 AM..

Old 09-29-2014, 07:40 AM

1,270 posts, read 1,813,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
People refer to the neighborhoods in those other areas as well (especially the Northeast), but certainly, people don't say they're from "Northwest Philly" the way they say they're from "West Philly" or "The Great Northeast." The NW, for whatever reason, has a less cohesive identity, though people will use the name to refer to the region as a whole.
There are really a couple of things going on I think - the first is that the neighborhoods tend to be pretty nice, therefore they have a more cohesive identity - and really never lost that best I can tell. The same way that a place like Fairmount or Northern Liberties tend to not be lumped in as "North Philadelphia" but are recognized on their own as neighborhoods. And the second, more importantly, is that the neighborhoods have history as significant places from before consolidation - Manayunk and Germantown were significant places before they became parts of Philadelphia, and Germantown in particular has been its own thing since pretty much the founding of Philadelphia.

There is also of course the geographic boundary of the Wissahickon, which is a pretty big boundary with limited ways across even driving.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:46 PM

399 posts, read 294,946 times
Personally, I'd say all the river neighborhoods NE of center city, beginning around Kensington up along 95 to Franklin mills would qualify as east Philly. The easternmost point in Philly is near where the river borders Bensalem in lower Bucks. It's kind of like how the Lehigh valley, between northeast and southeast PA, is often branded as simply eastern PA or east-central PA. Latitude-wise, it's the closest to being due east of center city within the city limits

Old 07-31-2015, 01:15 AM

18 posts, read 12,145 times
I thought of this when I moved into the city. I dont think anyone in philly ever uses the terms east philly

Looking at a map I believe it's in the river, likes others wrote.

If you want the eastern most part of philly it's be the old city riverfront area, or the riverwards especially bridesburg

On a side note, I never knew NW Philly existed until I started working in the region. Like others wrote, NW Philly is rarely used, since the areas seem to self identify by name.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:39 AM

8,623 posts, read 6,247,719 times
I know not to stop in most NE cities when driving through them. Philly is one of them. I'll stop for needed doggy restroom breaks in NJ but I have to be miles from NYC.
I am near DC and in my mind the NE border starts at Baltimore.

If Philadelphia can be called Philly can Baltimore be called Bally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or