Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 02:05 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,513,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
What? I have walked around Center City many times late at night after getting out of bars and have never been bothered or felt unsafe.
I'm pretty observant, plus my woman is with me, she's observant and she doesn't drink. There's a lot of crazies, junkies and desperate crazy junkies slithering around down there, I've felt uncomfortable and have been hassled on a few occasions. Look at the crime stats, there's a good bit of "robberies no firearm," which means people are being strong armed.
Don't get me wrong, I love it down there, it's mostly safe, but there's all kinds of sh#t going on ...
Sit and observe @24th and Sansom one night, or 16th and Spring Garden.

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 06-15-2014 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 02:30 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,283,758 times
Add Chestnut and Walnut west of Broad to that list. Definite amount of "characters" along those strips.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:55 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,469,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
I'm pretty observant, plus my woman is with me, she's observant and she doesn't drink. There's a lot of crazies, junkies and desperate crazy junkies slithering around down there, I've felt uncomfortable and have been hassled on a few occasions. Look at the crime stats, there's a good bit of "robberies no firearm," which means people are being strong armed.
Don't get me wrong, I love it down there, it's mostly safe, but there's all kinds of sh#t going on ...
Of all my late nights spent in Center City, the worst that has ever happened to me was a guy offer to sell me "candy" outside Woody's. Maybe I just stay in the safe parts I guess lol.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Of all my late nights spent in Center City, the worst that has ever happened to me was a guy offer to sell me "candy" outside Woody's. Maybe I just stay in the safe parts I guess lol.
Always an interesting part of town.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:52 PM

530 posts, read 2,618,402 times
Thanks everyone for the "enlightening" replies. I grew up in New York, and have lived in New Orleans. I know what it is like to live in a large city and how to be vigilant. I'm just not familiar with the neighborhoods surrounding Temple and I just wanted an insider's perspective, before we came out and visited.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:10 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,507,100 times
You have to admit that you're in a bubble being up on the Temple campus. You can't wander too far in any direction or you run into not so friendly areas. Sure it is changing, but I see the word "relatively" being thrown out a lot. As for Center City, I don't go out late often, but when I do I can feel a tiny bit unsettled but nothing ever very serious. It has more to do with it being a ghost town a bit, but I've been hassled and there have been shady characters about. I've never had any serious problems, though. It is a bit dark in this city at times.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
My fiancee is much more afraid to be out at night than I am, that is for sure. She gets nervous here quite a bit and it isn't like she isn't from a big city, as she is from downtown Toronto which is a much bigger city than Philadelphia. However, the difference you feel walking around at night between the two cities is honestly night and day. Sometimes I wonder if people on this forum have really spent time living elsewhere in big cities across the globe. I can truly understand why someone wouldn't feel safe here despite the fact being that they are more than likely safe. There definitely is a high element of American big city grit that many people just aren't used to.

2 homicides, 13 rapes, 98 robberies, 80 aggravated assaults, 104 burglaries, 448 thefts in the area surrounding Temple so far this year can be a large pill for some people to swallow and I am not one to blame them. The murder rate is 20+ per 100,000 and no doubt higher in some areas of Philadelphia than others. In cities like Toronto the murder rate is floating somewhere around 2 per 100,000 and a whole metro area of 6+ million will only have 70 or so murders for the year and the city around 50. The area extending not too far from Temple probably has almost as many itself. Again, it is clearly understandable why some people wouldn't want to live in an area that is bordered by such neighborhoods and effectively cut off from Center City by foot.

Also, here is an interesting map where you can see homicide and shootings. If you look around Temple's campus you see numerous shootings. Sorry but, one shooting is too many shootings in my opinion.

http://apps.axisphilly.org/ten-years...39.982/-75.156

Last edited by Cnote11; 06-23-2014 at 09:35 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 11:49 PM

A woman was raped in Rittenhouse over the weekend.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
A woman was raped in Rittenhouse over the weekend.
Indeed she was raped in the area. There is video of the encounter outside of the home. There was a woman raped in Rittenhouse area earlier this year too, if I'm not mistaken. Infrequent, but indeed too frequent.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:41 AM

268 posts, read 428,328 times
I went to Temple and lived in West Philly, first by Drexel and then by Penn. this was almost 10 years ago, but I just didn't like the vibe around Temple. It felt a little rough. West Philly was by no means Manayunk, but the two colleges side by side meant tons of kids around. The subway was easy every day, but I also made sure to avoid 8 am classes, lol. I really liked West Philly and think it's a great alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia