Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:31 PM

132 posts, read 443,771 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Bucks from Northern California and we visited Bucks right after Thanksgiving. It wasn't what I expected at all and I'm not really sure what I expected. I didn't come away with a great feeling or horrible feeling. Just unsure of what I thought. It seemed very old and dingy there (please don't take offense). Maybe that's because everything is fairly new where we live and that we were visiting in the beginning of winter. I think we need to spend more time there.

I was wondering if there is anyone who moved to Bucks County from another area who can share their thoughts on living there? If you can please share your experiences/information on the schools there.

Thanks for the help. Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 07:28 PM

468 posts, read 2,351,683 times
If you don't like places that look old, Pennsylvania may not be the place for you. Obviously the West Coast and South look newer than the Northeast and Midwest, because they are. Pennsylvania has one of the oldest housing stocks of any state, and its roads are often times so old that they're based on Indian hunting trails.

Almost all the school districts in Bucks County are excellent, with Council Rock and Central Bucks among the best in the state (and PA has very good public schools as a state as well).

Old 12-15-2007, 08:05 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,065,908 times
The above poster makes good points. Also, my guess is that you were in lower Bucks. I won't name towns; I'd rather hear from you some of the towns you visited. Upper Bucks is more rural, and has many newer, very big homes on big properties. Lower Bucks can absolutely be dingy. And, yes, it's very old.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:53 PM

BPP1999 - we only had one day with a realtor and went all over Bucks County. But we didn't get to New Hope, Peddler's Village area or Northern Bucks. We were out in the rural areas where they are buidling new homes. I didn't expect it to be so rural. I didn't see many shopping areas with chain grocery stores or drug stores or a Target. I don't want to have to drive 30 min to get to stores like these. How far is it to these types of stores? I appreciate your help.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:46 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,065,908 times
The dividing line in Bucks County is about 5-10 miles or so north of the turnpike. Anything above that line is likely to be more rural. Where are you planning on working?

Old 12-16-2007, 02:46 PM

My husband dos not have a job yet. We are just looking at different areas to see if it is a place we would like to move to. Raleigh, NC is also in the running but they did not plan well for the influx of people/growth and are having challenges, especially with the schools.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:18 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,371,866 times
Eleven years ago when my husband was working for a large company in the King of Prussia area we were told that the plant was going to close down and the operation moved to CA. The company chartered a plane for a large number of the employees and their spouses to think of transferring to San Jose California. We went and looked at houses for two days with a realtor. We couldn't believe how much old houses without basements or real yards that would have meant a horrible commute sold for. And the weather - it never really got warm but it never snowed. There was a tiny earthquake while we visited and we saw homes (on the news) slide off of hills during a big rainstorm. We said no way. A year later the same company needed some employees for another plant here in PA and offered California people a transfer - no way, they said!

Thank goodness we all like different things....

Old 12-16-2007, 11:05 PM

22 posts, read 57,016 times
Amusing post, as I'm a transplant from New Hope to the Raleigh area, though it's been a number of years. But, here's an idea of the greater Yardley/Newtown/New Hope/Doylestown etc area; 45 minutes to an hour and you're in downtown Philly or Cherry Hill, or go the otehr way and 90 minutes later you're in Tribeca/Manhattan. The shopping centers like Walmart, Target etc are up 202, call it 10-15 minutes. Yes, Target is not around the corner, but it's right up the road. Near enough, yet far enough away? Fantastic restaurants all over the place - Japanese, Italian, French, Indian, etc... lots of scenery etc. I miss the ease of finding great food and new places around every corner, tucked away waiting to be discovered. Here in the Triangle there's big-box shopping everywhere but very little soul. I'm here for the job opportunities, and I love heat/hate cold. As TooBusy said, thank goodness we all like different things, and the area has a lot to offer. I've taken to college hoops and minor league baseball since moving here; maybe you'd find something about Bucks County that you'd like as well!

Old 12-17-2007, 01:10 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,287,203 times
Newtown, Yardley, Doylestown, Peddlers Village, New Hope are wonderful places. Newer than say Levittown, Bristol, and Penndel. Don't write off this part of the area as you didn't check out the gems that the above are. (I lived in Newtown for a few years and thought it was great. Wonderful downtown and newer areas.) IMO, you MUST check out Newtown, Yarley, Doylestown...
Langhorne to me is in the middle so to speak. Lots of older stuff there but newer in some parts.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:28 PM

468 posts, read 2,351,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Newtown, Yardley, Doylestown, Peddlers Village, New Hope are wonderful places. Newer than say Levittown, Bristol, and Penndel.
No way. The boroughs of Newtown, Yardley, Doylestown, New Hope, etc are all much, much older than Levittown (and most of Bristol). They were settled before the 1800s and most of their housing stock is of historic vintage.

Of course McMansions have sprung up in the last 20 years in the townships that surround them, but those towns themselves are among the oldest settlements in the county. Levittown, on the other hand, was suburbia built from scratch in the 1950s.

Your first list is of affluent communities. Your second list is of more middle to working class places. You don't have the "age" straight though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia